TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Solar Panel (good deal)?

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Dr. Lovitz, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Dr. Lovitz

Dr. Lovitz Member

Is this is a good deal for tesla solar panels in southern california?

[​IMG]

2. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

Attachment isn't coming through.

3. Dr. Lovitz

Dr. Lovitz Member

let's try this sp.JPG

4. Hank42

Hank42 Member

That's how much I installed my 15KW system for in NY. But I did the labor myself, so, all things considered, it's not a bad deal. I'd say it is on par with others.

5. jsimon7777

jsimon7777 Member

I think you can do much better than that with another installer. I figure at most $3/watt installed before tax rebate.

6. GenSao

GenSao Member

Get 3-5 quotes. If you get a lower price from another vendor, you can show the quote to Tesla to see if they will price match.

7. Dr. Lovitz

Dr. Lovitz Member

I did and this is as close to it as it got. They were not too far off from the lowest quote, but still seems a bit high compared to what i'm reading on this forum. But then again, the quotes I'm seeing on this forum are from other states and not in california.

There were no quotes that came in under $3/watt. I figure I'd go with Tesla solar because 1. I own 2 teslas and 2. The design looks better than others 3. the salesman is a friend of a friend (but his original quote was quite high)

Just trying to see what others are paying in southern california.

• Informative x 1
  8. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Member

And Tesla is far more likely to be around in years 15, 20 or 25 to address the need for a new inverter and the like; a local "mom and pop" shop is not likely to have decades of staying power.

That counts for a LOT and is worth spending a bit more, IMHO.

• Like x 2
  9. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

I think that's a good price. I paid over $40k (before tax credit) for an 8kW SunPower system a few years back. You can probably find an even better price from other vendors, but I think longevity of the company and support are key. I have a friend who bought (technically a lease) an 11kW system for something like $15k but company folded a few years after.

If you have a Tesla vehicle and/or getting a Powerwall at the same time, then definitely go with Tesla solar.

• Helpful x 1
  10. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Solar City installed a 3.32 kW system for me almost 4 years ago here in Riverside county. Cost was $13K for a prepaid 20 year lease. More than 100% satisfied. Zero problems. Zero maintenance. Prices have come down since then. I think you have been quoted a very fair price.

If interested, PM me for my referral code and we can both save some money

11. jsimon7777

jsimon7777 Member

I paid 3.34/watt DC installed back in 2014. 41 panels with microinverters. This is Norcal. Panels were a lot more expensive then. I think you can still do better.

12. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Member

Meant to add "under warranty" as the warranty on these can be over 25 years. But it doesn't matter if the firm behind the warranty doesn't exist . . . .

• Like x 1
  13. Olds442

Olds442 Member

i had a rotator cuff surgery ten years ago, the surgeon gave it a lifetime warranty and died a few years later.

guess what i need another one of?

14. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

A surgeon?

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Distributed Energy Enthusiast

No. $3/W is about the max you should pay for traditional panels. A lot of people seem to be using the competitive bid match method to bring Tesla's price down, personally I'd just tell them $3/W or I'm not installing.

• Like x 1
  16. wwhitney

wwhitney Member

17. GenSao

GenSao Member

Doing your due diligence, it seems you got a good price with Tesla. The California market is a little more expensive than other parts of the country. I agree, going with Tesla makes sense for company longevity and vendor simplicity.

For reference, the cost of my system in the San Francisco bay area was $3.67/KW (DC) for a 5.7 KW system.

18. jsimon7777

jsimon7777 Member

Preferably a younger one.

19. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Software Engineer

I've heard the $3/watt number before as well. I just got a Tesla Solar bid myself using Panasonic panels (325, I think). They quoted me $16152 for a 4.55kW system, or $3.54/watt. However, there are "Upfront Incentives / Rebates" listed that brings the price down to $13422, or $2.94/watt. This is not the ITC Federal rebate which is listed separately.

I'm following up with them to see if they can explain that upfront incentive / rebate number.

20. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I got $3.25 from Tesla for my system (11 kE panels only). Not to shoot down anyone’s referrals but be aware you can refer yourself for solar systems. So if you own a car already you can use your own code and extend the solar warranty for five years.

Also, I tried to get the ‘best value’ match and was told that since I was using the 315W Black (no lines) panels, systems elsewhere weren’t comparable and weren’t eligible for marching. YMMV.