Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Panel (good deal)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this is a good deal for tesla solar panels in southern california?

Get 3-5 quotes. If you get a lower price from another vendor, you can show the quote to Tesla to see if they will price match.

I did and this is as close to it as it got. They were not too far off from the lowest quote, but still seems a bit high compared to what i'm reading on this forum. But then again, the quotes I'm seeing on this forum are from other states and not in california.

There were no quotes that came in under $3/watt. I figure I'd go with Tesla solar because 1. I own 2 teslas and 2. The design looks better than others 3. the salesman is a friend of a friend (but his original quote was quite high)

Just trying to see what others are paying in southern california.

• Informative
Reactions: Foghat
I think that's a good price. I paid over $40k (before tax credit) for an 8kW SunPower system a few years back. You can probably find an even better price from other vendors, but I think longevity of the company and support are key. I have a friend who bought (technically a lease) an 11kW system for something like $15k but company folded a few years after.

If you have a Tesla vehicle and/or getting a Powerwall at the same time, then definitely go with Tesla solar.

• Helpful
Reactions: Foghat
Solar City installed a 3.32 kW system for me almost 4 years ago here in Riverside county. Cost was $13K for a prepaid 20 year lease. More than 100% satisfied. Zero problems. Zero maintenance. Prices have come down since then. I think you have been quoted a very fair price.

If interested, PM me for my referral code and we can both save some money

I did and this is as close to it as it got. They were not too far off from the lowest quote, but still seems a bit high compared to what i'm reading on this forum. But then again, the quotes I'm seeing on this forum are from other states and not in california.

There were no quotes that came in under $3/watt. I figure I'd go with Tesla solar because 1. I own 2 teslas and 2. The design looks better than others 3. the salesman is a friend of a friend (but his original quote was quite high)

Just trying to see what others are paying in southern california.

Doing your due diligence, it seems you got a good price with Tesla. The California market is a little more expensive than other parts of the country. I agree, going with Tesla makes sense for company longevity and vendor simplicity.

For reference, the cost of my system in the San Francisco bay area was $3.67/KW (DC) for a 5.7 KW system.

I've heard the $3/watt number before as well. I just got a Tesla Solar bid myself using Panasonic panels (325, I think). They quoted me $16152 for a 4.55kW system, or $3.54/watt. However, there are "Upfront Incentives / Rebates" listed that brings the price down to $13422, or $2.94/watt. This is not the ITC Federal rebate which is listed separately.

I'm following up with them to see if they can explain that upfront incentive / rebate number.

I got $3.25 from Tesla for my system (11 kE panels only). Not to shoot down anyone’s referrals but be aware you can refer yourself for solar systems. So if you own a car already you can use your own code and extend the solar warranty for five years.

Also, I tried to get the ‘best value’ match and was told that since I was using the 315W Black (no lines) panels, systems elsewhere weren’t comparable and weren’t eligible for marching. YMMV.