Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Panel (good deal)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard the $3/watt number before as well. I just got a Tesla Solar bid myself using Panasonic panels (325, I think). They quoted me $16152 for a 4.55kW system, or $3.54/watt. However, there are "Upfront Incentives / Rebates" listed that brings the price down to $13422, or $2.94/watt. This is not the ITC Federal rebate which is listed separately.

I'm following up with them to see if they can explain that upfront incentive / rebate number.
Yeah, unless that’s a local rebate, like to hear about that myself. :D

FL here, got 5 quotes, then submitted lowest to Tesla.

Original price: 3.35/watt from Tesla before tax incentive
Price match: 2.68/watt from Tesla before tax incentive!

I was blown away how they actually price matched my best quote! Ended up paying 39k for a 14.325kw system using their newest low profile Panasonic panels with solar edge inverters install on tile roof.

Funny enough, the group buy quote I received for my side of town ended up @ 2.72/watt with similar panels. Tesla ended up being cheaper AND having a much better warranty/aesthetics.

Solar City installed a 3.32 kW system for me almost 4 years ago here in Riverside county. Cost was $13K for a prepaid 20 year lease. More than 100% satisfied. Zero problems. Zero maintenance. Prices have come down since then. I think you have been quoted a very fair price.

If interested, PM me for my referral code and we can both save some money
You’re grandfathered for 20 years on net metering right? This is a big plus I suspect for home value as well.

You’re grandfathered for 20 years on net metering right? This is a big plus I suspect for home value as well.
Yep, I'm doing my happy dance!
t0209.gif

Reactions: boaterva
Interesting question, does that transfer with the property? I know zilch about ins and out of California regs. :D
If solarcity owns the system, then I’m estimating the change in leasee doesn’t change the net metering arrangement.

Regardless, great new way to add value to the house along with reaping the benefits of home generation toward your home operating expenses.

With powerwall, it looks to make your system “smart” where it will know when to discharge to get you the best utility rates and eventually you’ll be able to sell your own energy through Tesla software on the open market, like oil in a sense. Best case scenario would be it could offset much of the home energy bill and put that money in your pocket for other use.

Imagine the national impact of every home in America energy bills going way down and could use that money toward other areas of the economy? Heck, even potentially make money in an energy market?

Now imagine the same for trucking companies... 70% of logistical activity in USA done through it... if they are able to drastically cut costs by utilizing electric semis in this system, our products would become cheaper making those energy dollars really count. It is upward spiral.

If solarcity owns the system, then I’m estimating the change in leasee doesn’t change the net metering arrangement.

Regardless, great new way to add value to the house along with reaping the benefits of home generation toward your home operating expenses.
Yes, in my case, Solar City owns my system and is responsible for all maintenance (if needed) and the lease is transferable with existing agreement. I paid up front cash for a 20 year lease. I expect, after 3 years of being a lessee, that I will breakeven on my cash outlay in another 3 years at current electrical rates. But I expect rates will continue to go up, thus accelerating my breakeven.

What I like is that Solar City did not over-design my system, 'selling' me more than what I needed. Currently, my electrical energy bill costs me about $5 per month for a utility "administration fee" and I get a rebate check from Edison every January for excess generation. It isn't much, ranging from $50 to $100 per year, but it puts a smile on my face every time I cash that check. :)

Although home and business PV solar is becoming very popular here, I don't understand why everyone in California doesn't jump on board. I think all the PV providers offer some kind of financing structure if you cannot afford to pay up front. It seems like a no-brainer to me.

• Love
Reactions: Foghat
I think the net metering agreement is between the real property owner(rate payor) an the utility not the lessor (owner of system). Either way he is grandfathered to have the same NEM agreement. In any event, rates per kWh and Time of Use schedules are not grandfathered.

Last edited:
FL here, got 5 quotes, then submitted lowest to Tesla.

Original price: 3.35/watt from Tesla before tax incentive
Price match: 2.68/watt from Tesla before tax incentive!

I was blown away how they actually price matched my best quote! Ended up paying 39k for a 14.325kw system using their newest low profile Panasonic panels with solar edge inverters install on tile roof.

Funny enough, the group buy quote I received for my side of town ended up @ 2.72/watt with similar panels. Tesla ended up being cheaper AND having a much better warranty/aesthetics.

That's a really good price considering labor and all. Way to go!

Reactions: dmode