Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla solar panels during power outage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are multiple reasons for requiring grid-tied inverter (GTI) shutoff in case of grid outages (i.e. anti-islanding). Lineman safety is one of the reasons but it's not the only reason. GTI's require a common stable "grid signal" to synchronize power production and function properly. So, if GTI's didn't shutoff in grid outages (i.e. unintentional islanding condition) then they would not be able to synchronize properly and would have very unstable behavior, especially with many GTI's, including voltage transients that can damage the GTI's and/or connected device loads.

The "sentence does not continue" until that is a verified product that is being installed in peoples homes, and there are no issues from an AHJ in using that product. So, right now, its still "period, end of sentence. Perhaps the sentence continues "later", but thats "later" not "now".
Not sure if you’re just being argumentative, or if you’re honestly unaware that other inverters can do islanding… 🤔

Either way you’re wrong.

Reactions: MrTemple
How does SPS play with rapid shutdown or Powerwalls?
Just a guess: if you have a Sunny Boy inverter and Powerwall when the grid goes down the Sunny Boy will still consider itself on-grid since technically it is still on the Powerwall formed microgrid. It would only engage the SPS if the Powerwall failed for some reason, leaving it truly gridless. Something catastrophic would have to have happened to the Powerwall as a simple low battery condition would cause the Powerwall to try to reform the microgrid every few minutes using the reserve power.

Not sure what you mean by rapid shutdown :)

Just a guess: if you have a Sunny Boy inverter and Powerwall when the grid goes down the Sunny Boy will still consider itself on-grid since technically it is still on the Powerwall formed microgrid. It would only engage the SPS if the Powerwall failed for some reason, leaving it truly gridless. Something catastrophic would have to have happened to the Powerwall as a simple low battery condition would cause the Powerwall to try to reform the microgrid every few minutes using the reserve power.

Not sure what you mean by rapid shutdown :)
Rapid shutdown is an NEC requirement, at least where I'm at. I think it has to do with being able to quickly shut the system off (perhaps by emergency services?) but am not sure how it works or when.

Was thinking of the case where PWs get full and raise the frequency to shut off inverters when grid is out. Will SPS still work? Guessing it would as the inverter would just see the PWs as the "grid" as you've indicated, but am unsure whether the high frequency would cause an issue.

Rapid shutdown is an NEC requirement, at least where I'm at. I think it has to do with being able to quickly shut the system off (perhaps by emergency services?) but am not sure how it works or when.

Was thinking of the case where PWs get full and raise the frequency to shut off inverters when grid is out. Will SPS still work? Guessing it would as the inverter would just see the PWs as the "grid" as you've indicated, but am unsure whether the high frequency would cause an issue.
I imagine the standard shutoff on the inverter would meet the requirement.

Good question about the frequency change. Not sure.

The rapid shutdown requirement is about de-energizing (or at least reducing the voltage of) the equipment on the roof not the inverter output. For string inverters without optimizers like the Tesla inverter, the issue is that if the inverter is turned off the panel strings could have as much as ~600V on them depending on the number of panels in the string. To address this mid-circuit interrupters are added at least at every 3rd panel in the string. When activated they open isolating the 3 panel sets from one another. The max voltage on the roof is then only whatever 3 panels can generate (~100V).

The rapid shutdown requirement is about de-energizing (or at least reducing the voltage of) the equipment on the roof not the inverter output. For string inverters without optimizers like the Tesla inverter, the issue is that if the inverter is turned off the panel strings could have as much as ~600V on them depending on the number of panels in the string. To address this mid-circuit interrupters are added at least at every 3rd panel in the string. When activated they open isolating the 3 panel sets from one another. The max voltage on the roof is then only whatever 3 panels can generate (~100V).
So then does SPS still work with rapid shutdown and the gateway frequency shifting when PWs are fully charged?

So then does SPS still work with rapid shutdown and the gateway frequency shifting when PWs are fully charged?
I don't know any more about SPS then the links posted above. Reading the spec sheet of an SMA inverter that includes SPS it states the SPS will not work with some implementations of rapid shutdown so it depends on how the system is configured.

I really don't see a use case for SPS with powerwalls. SPS is not active when the inverter sees line voltage whether that is from the grid or the powerwalls. SPS also only provides a 120VAC 12 A outlet that you could maybe plug one moderate power device into with an extension cord. Even without powerwalls the use cases seem quite limited.

I am guessing that you are looking to keep solar active when PW's are full but still on. SPS won't help with that

SPS is only active when PW's and grid are both off so there would be no frequency shift involved. Some Tigo RSD models have been used with SPS but apparently they are no longer available. I've seen reports indicating newer RSD models need separate DC supply/battery for the required wireless comm to work during blackouts which makes SPS more complicated to deploy.

Holy crap enphase has started shipping iQ8 micros. About friggin time.

1635219952427.png

View attachment 725847

This looks a few days old, but supposedly the generator option is coming in November as well:

This is probably the more flexible long term rain/cloud solution since you can only go so far with batteries with no sun.

It'd be interesting if customers avoid Tesla Solar since it doesn't have a microinverter option at all currently for new installs and the IQ8 sounds like a big positive on no grid, sunny days.

Last edited:

View attachment 725847
Nice Find!!