Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar panels in Vertical (Portrait) orientation? Has anyone done it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am trying to get a Tesla Solar system installed in California. However, I have run into a snag. Tesla is saying they can ONLY mount panels in horizontal (landscape) orientation, and aren't budging on the issue. Unfortunately, I only have one south facing roof, and horizontal will severly limit the number of panels I can fit.

Has anyone had solar panels installed by Tesla in a vertical orientation using their standard "puck" system? If so, I would LOVE to have the proof that it can be done, and that they have done it in the past in order to convince them, especially if it is their current 400W panels. Otherwise, this reduction in solar generation with horizontal panels may be a deal breaker for my application unfortunately.

Thank you!
Frank

Though I have not confirmed this, I assume that Tesla will not mount in portrait orientation when rafters are spaced 24" or more because the shorter panel dimension would not allow at least 2 horizontal mounts for every panel (panel width 41"). This would not be an issue when mounting on rails.