TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla solar panels - removal for new roof?

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by agarabaghi, Dec 27, 2019.

1. agarabaghi

agarabaghi Member

Kicking myself for not replacing my roof when they did the panels, but I also wonder why they didnt tell me my roof needed to be replaced.

Anyway...

What is the procedure for getting a roof replaced that has panels install on it?

Do you reach out to tesla?
    Do typical roofing companies also know how to power down / remove panels?

2. arnolddeleon

arnolddeleon Supporting Member

Look at your contract and see if it has a provision for fixed price removal. Mine had a removal/reinstall for $500. I'm currently waiting for the reinstall. Interestingly Tesla originally said I had I to wait until spring (when I first asked them almost 2 months ago). They ended bringing a 3rd part to do it for them 3 weeks ago. They reinstall in a couple of weeks.

In theory they're not suppose to install if there is less than 10 years of life left on a roof. I have a friend of recently tried to get a rental array installed and they declined because of roof conditions. It seems though they occasionally let one by, probably because the person making the assessment wasn't motivated to decline the install. The one I had to get removal one was on a new property that I purchased. It had an existing Tesla (Solar City) system that was installed on it 4 years ago. This was a tile roof and on a casual look it looks it is in good shape but when a roofer looked at it they said it needed to be redone. The tiles were fine but the membrane was shot. In AZ a builder grade membrane will apparently last only 20-25 years (even though the tiles will last 50 years or more). So in this case 4 years ago Solar City should have declined the install. Luckily it is only cost me about $500.

• Informative x 1
  3. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.48.35.5

As @arnolddeleon mentioned, Tesla quoted us $500 to have them remove and re-install our solar panels whenever we need to have our roof replaced.

4. TheThrill19

TheThrill19 Member

You can ask this guy, looks like he had his whole roof R&R’ed:

5. dancudds

dancudds Member

I tried to get a quote up-front on what it would cost but here's what I was told
    "...the charge for removal and reinstallation is calculated at the market price when the request is put in; it’s not a flat price we can quote ahead of time."

6. Congo Line

Congo Line (not the dance)

I found out this week that my roof shingles are aging prematurely (because apparently the builder used bad shingles), so now I have to get my solar panels removed in order to put in a new roof. I have a 5kW system that was installed by Sungevity (who got sold out to a company called Omnidian).

The quote I received today to remove and reinstall the system is $10,190 (!!). Yeah, pretty much an extra zero beyond what I was expecting. Had I known that it was so expensive to get these things taken off, I would never have had solar panels installed. The lease itself was $6,300; since I'm only 8 years into a 15-year lease, I now am faced with the choice of paying through the nose to have them removed and replaced, or to just have them taken off and purchase the system outright. I'm waiting to receive the quote on just removing/purchasing them, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be similarly outrageous.

7. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.48.35.5

That's crazy. It does sound about 10x as much as I would expect. I don't remember the exact value we were quoted but I believe the contract mentions $500 or $1000 to remove and replace our Tesla solar system.

8. Congo Line

Congo Line (not the dance)

My house is 2 stories high, but again $10k is ridiculous.

I'm waiting on another quote, but the next closest certified people are 180 miles away, so am not expecting they're going to come in any cheaper. This is the DC/Baltimore suburbs, so it's not like I'm out in the boonies somewhere.

9. jimkeough

jimkeough New Member

I'm kicking myself for not replacing my roof before solar panels also! Tesla is quoting me over $11,000 to get 12 panels removed & reinstalled!!!

During the sales process i was told removal & re-installation would cost about $1000. Unfortunately, I don't have the in writing. As a huge Tesla fan and Model 3 owner, I am beside myself with surprise and anger.

Buyer beware! If you're going solar, make sure to get a removal price in your contract.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. Amacharola

Amacharola Member

I had the same problem. I was told $500 in the sales meeting. We had roof issues that required replacing the roof 13 years earlier than anticipated. It was hell trying to get Tesla to respond, finally I got the offer of $9,018! I couldn’t comprehend what I was told. They stopped communicating with me until I filed a BBB complaint. They reduced the price to $6,030 after a lot of time passed and winter was closing in before I folded.

• Like x 1
  11. Jonathan J

Jonathan J New Member

I am in the same boat. A roof leak caused interior damage. Our roofer Indicates the puncture mark is due to a tool that may have stepped on by the last people on the roof...Tesla. In the sales conversation they quoted $600 to remove panels, which was quoted as market rate, stating that was market rate. I can’t find it in writing anywhere, my wife and I think it is verbal only. Fast forward to now the roofer needs 11 panels removed to do repair. Tesla wants $3500! After multiple calls I’m told that’s market rate. Now they won’t schedule a time due to backlogs in their processing. I’m going to try the BBB as suggested above. They are the worst. A class action lawsuit should be filed.

• Like x 2
  12. Willy3

Willy3 Member

Anyone else having any experience at all with panel removal/reinstall? I’d always heard much lower numbers thrown around ($500-1500 is in my head for some reason.) That kind of money could be a real deal breaker

13. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

Curious because of this thread, I just read through my documents for my solar city PPA that tesla now owns. The cost to remove and replace my system for roof repairs is listed in there at $499. It also says I am responsible for storing it while said repairs happen.

• Like x 3
  14. Willy3

Willy3 Member

Thanks. I guess they took it out of the contracts??? Good for you, though

15. preilly44

preilly44 Member

Just for reference, I went with a local solar company who told me it would be $500 to remove my 70 panels when we add a second level to our home. Fast forward 4 years and we are ready to do the renovation, now they are saying $150 PER PANEL, so over $10k. They are going to give me a deal and charge $1500 to remove them, then $14k to reinstall 32 panels on my guest house. I told them I could get a newer better system from Tesla. So I'm going to pay them $1.5k to remove them then have Tesla put up an 8kw system for less money after Fed. rebate.

• Informative x 2
  16. Djordan

Djordan New Member

Similar situation for me. I bought through Solar City in 2017. I asked about needing a new roof and they told me "Market Price" which at the time they said was $600. I now need a roof and they quoted me over $10000. I found other contractors who stopped doing it because Tesla is uncooperative. I found one who will charge me $7500 which includes new rails which are required by Tesla that add another $1000. I tried to complain to Tesla and they have no response. I called them anonymously as if I was buying new panels and asked about removal and replacement and they say the current market rate is around $2500. I have a complaint into the BBB and if not satisfied will take legal action. This is obviously fraud where they tell you it is a lot less and put the panels on roofs where they should not. When I spoke to all of the contractors they laughed at me and said that they are constantly getting calls from people who were told the same thing -- $500-600 to remove them and are now being charged $10000.