TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Solar Panels

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Piney999, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Piney999

Piney999 Member

I am in the final stages of committing to a roof top solar array, but before I commit, I would like to at least give Tesla a fair shot as car/stock owner. But with that in mind, I can't find any data about their panels or where they install, am I missing something obvious? I appreciate the help with this.

2. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Tesla probably has the best batteries but with the exception of their roof tiles there's really nothing special about the panels I'm aware of... they bought Silevo a few years ago but then took what was left of the company behind the barn.....

SunPower makes the best panels but there's really not a huge difference... get 3 quotes and go with the cheapest as long as it has a 10 year workmanship warranty...

3. Abqnative

Abqnative Member

I am not sure where you are in your process. In my case, they showed a plan of the panels on the roof and gave the brand (Panasonic 325) which you can look up on the web. They also quoted Solaredge as the inverter brand which is often used. What I don’t know is the mounting system and down feeds to my ground electrical meter. That is not too important since it in the 20 year warranty.

4. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Yup, I have all that done. I have a great quote on an 11.4kw rooftop system using LG panels and a SolarEdge inverter. I just figured I should at least give Tesla a chance since they bought Solar City and sell panels, but I can't find anything about their panels, prices or availability.

5. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

How much $ per watt?

6. Piney999

Piney999 Member

$$ per Watt is $2.51 installed. Is that about right?

7. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Yeah... that's a really good price. Especially for LG panels and a Solar Edge inverter.

Is that before the tax credit?

8. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Yes, that includes sales tax, but is before the tax credit.

9. jrmnet

jrmnet Member

In reference to the mounting system:

I want to a Tesla Energy event the other day, and from what I remember they said that they use a mounting system called "Zet". I'm not sure of the spelling though. It was developed by a company in Marin (SF area) and is known for having a very low profile.

10. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Zep.

Purchased by Solar City in 2013...

11. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Where did you find a Tesla Energy event, that is exactly the kind of think I am looking for.

12. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Does anyone have a data sheet on the Tesla panels they can share??

13. Colo10is

Colo10is New Member

Tesla Solar Panel Data:

14. Colo10is

Colo10is New Member

Max. Wattage: 315 Watts
    Efficiency: 18.8%
    Weight: 42.99 lbs
    Dimensions: 62.6x41.5x1.57 inches

15. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Much appreciated. Did you get them installed?

16. NuShrike

NuShrike Member

Panasonic 315W, not the best Panasonic makes, but that's what you get:
    Panasonic VBHN315KA01 (315W) Solar Panel

How does Tesla justify low-profile mounting? Doesn't that increase heat-buildup between panels and roof -- reducing panel performance?

Tesla doesn't have a panel performance guarantee, so if the panels die, or under-perform over their lifetime, the best they can do is give you bill credit, instead of replacing the panels.

• Helpful x 1
  17. Colo10is

Colo10is New Member

Not yet. Just got my revised “proposal” (after the site survey) this evening. I asked my “retail energy advisor” for more details on the “all black” Tesla panels (made in Buffalo, NY, I think) and that was the response I received a week ago... 18.8% efficient and 315 watts.

18. Babaron

Babaron Member

My Tesla advisor is telling me that there IS a written performance guarantee on the panels. They will either fix any underperforming panel(s) or give you a credit for the difference EVERY YEAR for 25 years.

19. Piney999

Piney999 Member

What kind of price per watt installed are you guys looking at?? Is it competitive with other panels/installers?

20. Babaron

Babaron Member

My initial quote from Tesla was just over three dollars per watt. I am currently working with them to get a more competitive price that is closer to other quotes I have gotten below three dollars per watt.