Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the final stages of committing to a roof top solar array, but before I commit, I would like to at least give Tesla a fair shot as car/stock owner. But with that in mind, I can't find any data about their panels or where they install, am I missing something obvious? I appreciate the help with this.

I am in the final stages of committing to a roof top solar array, but before I commit, I would like to at least give Tesla a fair shot as car/stock owner. But with that in mind, I can't find any data about their panels or where they install, am I missing something obvious? I appreciate the help with this.

Tesla probably has the best batteries but with the exception of their roof tiles there's really nothing special about the panels I'm aware of... they bought Silevo a few years ago but then took what was left of the company behind the barn.....

SunPower makes the best panels but there's really not a huge difference... get 3 quotes and go with the cheapest as long as it has a 10 year workmanship warranty...

I am not sure where you are in your process. In my case, they showed a plan of the panels on the roof and gave the brand (Panasonic 325) which you can look up on the web. They also quoted Solaredge as the inverter brand which is often used. What I don’t know is the mounting system and down feeds to my ground electrical meter. That is not too important since it in the 20 year warranty.

Yup, I have all that done. I have a great quote on an 11.4kw rooftop system using LG panels and a SolarEdge inverter. I just figured I should at least give Tesla a chance since they bought Solar City and sell panels, but I can't find anything about their panels, prices or availability.

I am not sure where you are in your process. In my case, they showed a plan of the panels on the roof and gave the brand (Panasonic 325) which you can look up on the web. They also quoted Solaredge as the inverter brand which is often used. What I don’t know is the mounting system and down feeds to my ground electrical meter. That is not too important since it in the 20 year warranty.

In reference to the mounting system:

I want to a Tesla Energy event the other day, and from what I remember they said that they use a mounting system called "Zet". I'm not sure of the spelling though. It was developed by a company in Marin (SF area) and is known for having a very low profile.

Panasonic 315W, not the best Panasonic makes, but that's what you get:
Panasonic VBHN315KA01 (315W) Solar Panel

How does Tesla justify low-profile mounting? Doesn't that increase heat-buildup between panels and roof -- reducing panel performance?

Tesla doesn't have a panel performance guarantee, so if the panels die, or under-perform over their lifetime, the best they can do is give you bill credit, instead of replacing the panels.

• Helpful
Reactions: KyleDay