Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla solar - sending grid night and daytime consumption from solar and grid. No power wall..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi.. I have solar system NO powerwall installed on 2/22 and watching the flow since then on my Andriod Samsung note 8 phone.
It is so weired.. the flow shows from
6PM to 6AM from solar to grid.
6AM to 7AM (very light sun) the flow shows solar to home and grid.
7AM to 6PM from solar and grid to home.
Attached the images..

More are less..my house consumption is same on daily..
Can some one please explain what is going on here..

Screenshot_20220301-010509_Tesla.jpg
20220301_085819.jpg
20220301_085717.jpg
20220301_085553.jpg
Screenshot_20220301-010536_Tesla.jpg
Screenshot_20220301-010725_Tesla.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220301-010520_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220301-010520_Tesla.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20220301-010725_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220301-010725_Tesla.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20220301-010509_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220301-010509_Tesla.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20220301-010653_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220301-010653_Tesla.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 79
Amazing how many times the CTs have been installed wrong
Especially for a device with a label and often an arrow on it. It makes me appreciate how hard it is to manufacture a complex device such as a car if your workers can't be relied upon to be 99+% accurate. (At a 99% accuracy, a car with 1,000 subassemblies or parts would have a one in 23,000 probability of being assembled correctly.)

It Does seem like a lot, doesnt it? I have wondered if this is more a situation that, people experiencing these issues tend to start searching and end up here because TMC is a very large website, or its really as much as it seems like to us long timers here.
I did not join site to search on the issue. Mine were initially installed correctly. Then they had to redo something post inspection. Reinstalled incorrectly. Took me several weeks to convince them they were wrong. Non-Tesla installer

Especially for a device with a label and often an arrow on it. It makes me appreciate how hard it is to manufacture a complex device such as a car if your workers can't be relied upon to be 99+% accurate. (At a 99% accuracy, a car with 1,000 subassemblies or parts would have a one in 23,000 probability of being assembled correctly.)
One of the techs that came out to trying to fix my issues said that there was a batch of the CTs with incorrect labelling on them. The tech was able to improve the reporting, but it still isn't 100% accurate. It is close enough most of the time that I gave up trying to get it fixed.

How can I ensure the CTs are installed correctly on my installation day? I want to confirm before they leave.
Make sure that the app is working on your phone before they leave and compare the live Grid quantity (kW) in the app to your Utility Meter. If for some reason they can't get the app working on your phone, you could have the installer bring up the Powerwall Gateway screen on their phone or tablet and compare that live power flow to the Utility Meter. If you're not getting Powerwalls, I'm not sure how it's done without App access, nor am I sure how much lag there is in the non-Powerwall reporting system.

One of the techs that came out to trying to fix my issues said that there was a batch of the CTs with incorrect labelling on them. The tech was able to improve the reporting, but it still isn't 100% accurate. It is close enough most of the time that I gave up trying to get it fixed.
Sorry for your troubles, but how close is "close"? Now, I am curious.

All the best,

BG

You could have the installer bring up the Powerwall Gateway screen on their phone or tablet and compare that live power flow to the Utility Meter.
Do this. Check to make sure that the app is reporting the grid load correctly, with solar on and with solar off. The issues are primarily with unbacked up loads, so if you have this case make sure that you test those loads, run your AC compressor, or pool pump or hot tub heater. Does the app show the same grid usage with and without the load.

Reactions: KHYE
Sorry for your troubles, but how close is "close"? Now, I am curious.

All the best,

BG
I have two 120v circuits and one 240v circuit (AC compressor) that aren't backed up being measured with two CTs. I thought that it was less than 200W off when they were here for about a 5kW load (AC compressor), but one of the circuits that powers my external Christmas lights was definitely not being measured correctly and it was not reporting about 1.1kW when the lights were on.

This was included in the testing so I don't know what went wrong, might have been the 21.44 firmware update in December. I haven't tried running the AC to see if it reports correctly with that on.

Today I have checked via gateway.. I am not able to understand the numbers..

Can someone please explain these..want to make sure my system is working fine or not..
Only reason, from tesla app.. it is exporting to grid..in day time, it is drawing the power from solar and grid.
Btw.. I called Tesla..in a week or two they will come to check..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220308-121610_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220308-121610_Chrome.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 58
I assume(!) that strings #3 and #4 are shaded.(Yes, No, Maybe?) The rest of the numbers would be consistent with 2kW or of house load and 2kW of export. Nothing wild to my eye, unless the strings aren't functional.

All the best,

BG

Thank you for the details. But in my case when full sunny day it is drawing fro solar and grid to the home..
In night time and shady day it is sending to grid..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220309-112442_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220309-112442_Tesla.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220309_112708.jpg
    20220309_112708.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220309_112812.jpg
    20220309_112812.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 44
FWIW, my CT's were installed incorrectly by Tesla. Took them a few weeks to get them to come back out and fix. Even the fix wasn't done right and took a few more weeks to get them to install correctly.

I have a whole house backup generator and no PW's. Tesla installed my solar output to tap between my utility meter and the genereator ATS, so if the grid drops out, so does the solar, but the generator will start up. However, they put the CT's on the main feeds in my main panel, past my ATS. So when solar started generating, the app added it to what my house was consuming. So the app showed solar output plus house usage as home consumption. Could have been fixed by some software changes, but they elected to come out and move the CT's to between my utility meter and my ATS (but prior to the solar taps).

Their first attempt left the CT wiring exposed on the outside of the house. Eventually they came back out and put them in rigid conduit (they needed extension cables). Been flawless since.

RC