Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar system with Analog meter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a small solar system installed by Tesla in December. The whole process went very smooth and I have zero complaints. I pay our power company $13 a month to have an analog meter. The meter runs both ways and was running backwards on install day.

Does anyone know if I can keep my analog meter? My power company installed a digital meter years ago that caught fire in the middle of the night due to arching. They switched us back to analog upon my request. I don’t want to risk a similar situation. My power company provides net metering, so it seems like there wouldn’t be a reason we couldn’t keep the analog meter. I don’t have official PTO yet.

I have so many questions... :) How does your local power company read the meter now? Does your extra fee mean they also come and manually read the meter still?
Do you know how your local net metering works? Many areas of the country now have net metering and they vary a lot in what the applied rates are and how they apply. It's becoming very rare for full 1:1 net metering (meaning you will pay or get paid the same rate/kWh for consumption vs. feeding back to grid.) The reason this is important, is that a lot of companies will require a meter that shows usage vs. back feed of power. And it will benefit you as well, as hopefully you will get those same numbers as part of the billing process.

For example, my local power company here in PA has net metering. My initial understanding is that my consumption is billed at a straight $0.16/kWh. We have digital meters already that are supposed to be able to track back feeding (I do not have solar installed though.) If I where to back feed, I would get credit for kWh fed back against usage. So could save at the rate of consumption for hours used (for example, pull 10 kWh overnight, but generate an extra 10kWh during sun? Break even and no extra charged.) However, if I feed back to the grid over my usage, then I will be paid at the wholesale electric rate my local company pays. They quoted $0.08/kWh when I spoke to them last.

Local companies usually have some rules about how that payback works as well. So end of month true up? Annual? Bi-annual? That will determine when/what you get paid back if you over generate.

Have you had local inspection yet? The power company should tell you then, if they did not at initial inspection of plans, if they require a certain meter for solar use.

There may be others from your locality on this forum that can comment on the rules for your utility. And you should be able to call them and ask as well. We are a medium sized town and I was trying to figure out what net metering was offered. When I called, they put me through to the guy that does inspections. He commented he would come out and do the test for no-backfeeding of the grid during grid outage...

It sounds like our net metering is the same. Our system won’t over produce our daily usage, so the payouts for over production won’t apply in our case. We will still have a bill each month. Our meter is read by a human still. The dials go backwards on sunny days unless we are charging the car, running AC, etc.
I taped a sign on the meter for the utility to call me before swapping out the meter. I guess I will eventually find out if I can keep my analog meter.