Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar vs ....[third party competitors]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Important thing to remember with Sunrun is the largest cost component is sales cost. They may filter this into the "labor" category when they break out costs, but sales commissions and lead costs are several times more than the actual install labor.

That's why Tesla is 30% cheaper, they don't pay the $4-10k in sales commissions for each install.
True they were more expensive, but thanks to the tax credit, ($17k) we were able to knock the balance of our loan down significantly.

Coming here for help..

Building our house in Illinois (Chicago suburbs)
Started talking to Tesla in November for the solar tiles and got the initial quote, but lousy follow up since
4 months later, they still have not been able to give us a design and we need to put a roof on the house soon...

Now we are going to just put a nice slate roof on and get panels for the back (HOA rules.. don't get me started) and fortunately the back is facing south
I have called several local solar companies (Sunrun and Solar Energy of IL) but they have said that they will not put panels on a slate roof

Any suggestions from someone living in IL about possible companies that can do this and still give us the battery storage back up?

Sounds like some companies were bit by slate installations.

You could try searching online via solarreviewsdotcom. There's two well reviewed solar companies in the Arlington Heights (home of overbearing HOAs) area: Sun Badger and Certasun.

@kcveins I love slate roofs. Absolutely gorgeous. You do need to get a really good slate roofer to be sure. That's doable in many places.

However, I think that slate and solar is going to be problematic. Slate isn't exactly tolerant of being walked on or handled. A good slate roof will last for...well, centuries if well installed, and maintained. Solar is going to need ongoing maintenance, e.g. panel replacement, wiring replacement, rewaterproofing the mounts, etc.; there aren't fittings out there for solar with 50 year warranties (or estimated lifetimes), much less centuries, and I wouldn't believe it, even if the manufacturer said so. There is a price for everything to be sure, but I suspect that this is going to be "very square peg in a very round hole".

I would think about a plan B. Another roof type, not doing solar...

All the best,

BG

Youtube has videos showing how solar companies have been installing on slate roofs over the last 5 to 10 years. No doubt it's a different more expensive install and probably only a handful of companies will do it in a given area. But if the homes in your area have slate roofs local solar companies better know how to do it.

@kcveins I love slate roofs. Absolutely gorgeous. You do need to get a really good slate roofer to be sure. That's doable in many places.

However, I think that slate and solar is going to be problematic. Slate isn't exactly tolerant of being walked on or handled. A good slate roof will last for...well, centuries if well installed, and maintained. Solar is going to need ongoing maintenance, e.g. panel replacement, wiring replacement, rewaterproofing the mounts, etc.; there aren't fittings out there for solar with 50 year warranties (or estimated lifetimes), much less centuries, and I wouldn't believe it, even if the manufacturer said so. There is a price for everything to be sure, but I suspect that this is going to be "very square peg in a very round hole".

I would think about a plan B. Another roof type, not doing solar...

All the best,

BG
I appreciate your input very much. Thanks

Youtube has videos showing how solar companies have been installing on slate roofs over the last 5 to 10 years. No doubt it's a different more expensive install and probably only a handful of companies will do it in a given area. But if the homes in your area have slate roofs local solar companies better know how to do it.
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into this a little more.

Try using Energysage to get bids from multiple contractors...

I've got ~5kw pre existing PV installed before Tesla Energy was a thing and i was told they won't touch my project if there is existing PV... So I used energysage.com to get bids and apparently most vendors were at or below Tesla's price (ymmv on equipment).

Contract signed 3/21, plans submitted to city 3/25 (approved within a few days), now waiting for the HOA approval. Tentative install date is 4/8 .... 18 days after signing the contract, if i dont get rejected by HOA :eek::eek::eek:

I did send them more than 50 high resolution drone shots of my roof, panel, conduit so that in itself probably saved a few days on site visit.

Try using Energysage to get bids from multiple contractors...

I've got ~5kw pre existing PV installed before Tesla Energy was a thing and i was told they won't touch my project if there is existing PV... So I used energysage.com to get bids and apparently most vendors were at or below Tesla's price (ymmv on equipment).

Contract signed 3/21, plans submitted to city 3/25 (approved within a few days), now waiting for the HOA approval. Tentative install date is 4/8 .... 18 days after signing the contract, if i dont get rejected by HOA :eek::eek::eek:

I did send them more than 50 high resolution drone shots of my roof, panel, conduit so that in itself probably saved a few days on site visit.
I know Arizona has a law where HOA's can't say jack about solar. I think Cali has the same.

I am pretty sure there is a federal law about this, limiting almost every aspect for rejecting by HOA.
Here's CA law.

In the State of California, The Solar Rights Act passed in 1978. This particular law includes protections to allow consumer access to sunlight and also limits the ability of homeowner’s associations and local government to pass laws or rules preventing the installation of solar energy systems.

California Civil Code Sections 714 and 714.1, is one of the older statutes which shaped much of the development of similar laws that now exist in about ½ of the states.

The California statutes (see excerpt below) is a relatively simple and straight forward law designed to make it much easier for residents of California to harness the benefits of solar energy through the installation of solar panels.

Reactions: charlesj
I bought a 9.6 Kw solar and single Powerwall+ (Wish I had gotten two) system from Tesla and am loving it!

I got estimates from 4 other installers in my area that used Powerwalls, and actually had them in stock, and the cheapest quote for the same specs was a full $13,000 more than Tesla.

Actually I called 5 other installers, but the fifth one I said I was looking at Tesla for the counterbid, and he said right up front, “we can’t beat their price, can’t even come close, but we’ll do *this* *that* *and the other thing* which were mainly buzzphrases about good product support, better panels, more experience etc.

I’m not certain exactly what panels Tesla uses, but they are 400 watt panels as opposed to the industry leading 420 watt panels, and if I was building a huge sokar farm, that might be a draw, but I’ve got only 24 panels and the small loss of efficiency is no where near the significance of $13,000.

Also it isn’t mentioned here I don’t think, but Tesla panels look FANTASTIC! They’re solid black, very low profile, and have the aero skirt covers on the edges which make them look super clean. My neighbor has “conventional” panels on his roof and it makes his house look kind if like an industrial site. You might not think appearance makes a big difference until you see them side by side.

The initial roof inspection went without a hitch and that inspector was very nice! My installation took one day, the team was amazing and very clean, totally professional, and the electrician doing the powerwall install was incredibly knowledgeable and answered all my questions.

Tesla handles ALL the paperwork with PG&E, I just had to electronically sign some PG&E interconnection docs (Tesla even includes the $145 fee for filing that doc in the system bill price) They handled all the city inspections and kept me well informed with the app.

On a funny side note, I took delivery on a model 3 performance on the day of solar installation; The orders for car and solar were weeks apart, but just landed on the same day by coincidence :)

My solar system, (and car) are working flawlessy. My PTO (permission to operate) was granted about 2 1/2 weeks after the inspection, and I have taken no power from the grid since the actual install (more than a month) Every step of the way in the process I was kept informed, and they responded to a change in the panel config that I asked for in the same day as my request. I would go Tesla again without hesitation!

I’m in the SF bay area.

Rather than putting solar modules on top of the shingles, the fundamental concept is to merge the solar cells with the roof sheathing. As I just restored my home's roof, I used a combination of solar cells and slate roof tiles. In the end, I'm happy with it. The cost was one thing that bothered me about it. It can be 2 to 3 times more expensive to acquire a Tesla solar roof than it is to build a new roof or replace an existing one plus add a regular solar system mounted on the rooftop.

I bought a 9.6 Kw solar and single Powerwall+ (Wish I had gotten two) system from Tesla and am loving it!

I got estimates from 4 other installers in my area that used Powerwalls, and actually had them in stock, and the cheapest quote for the same specs was a full $13,000 more than Tesla.

Actually I called 5 other installers, but the fifth one I said I was looking at Tesla for the counterbid, and he said right up front, “we can’t beat their price, can’t even come close, but we’ll do *this* *that* *and the other thing* which were mainly buzzphrases about good product support, better panels, more experience etc.

I’m not certain exactly what panels Tesla uses, but they are 400 watt panels as opposed to the industry leading 420 watt panels, and if I was building a huge sokar farm, that might be a draw, but I’ve got only 24 panels and the small loss of efficiency is no where near the significance of $13,000.

Also it isn’t mentioned here I don’t think, but Tesla panels look FANTASTIC! They’re solid black, very low profile, and have the aero skirt covers on the edges which make them look super clean. My neighbor has “conventional” panels on his roof and it makes his house look kind if like an industrial site. You might not think appearance makes a big difference until you see them side by side.

The initial roof inspection went without a hitch and that inspector was very nice! My installation took one day, the team was amazing and very clean, totally professional, and the electrician doing the powerwall install was incredibly knowledgeable and answered all my questions.

Tesla handles ALL the paperwork with PG&E, I just had to electronically sign some PG&E interconnection docs (Tesla even includes the $145 fee for filing that doc in the system bill price) They handled all the city inspections and kept me well informed with the app.

On a funny side note, I took delivery on a model 3 performance on the day of solar installation; The orders for car and solar were weeks apart, but just landed on the same day by coincidence :)

My solar system, (and car) are working flawlessy. My PTO (permission to operate) was granted about 2 1/2 weeks after the inspection, and I have taken no power from the grid since the actual install (more than a month) Every step of the way in the process I was kept informed, and they responded to a change in the panel config that I asked for in the same day as my request. I would go Tesla again without hesitation!

I’m in the SF bay area.

Your experience sounds like the opposite of nearly every recent posts here from California...

Almost everything I've seen lately is pushed back installs for 6+ months due to supply issues, no PTO for 6+ months, can't make any changes if you aren't cookie cutter for Tesla Solar, etc. I think Tesla also only uses string inverters now.

(Above was all reasons I didn't pick Tesla after starting my research here last year).

Either you were very lucky or they are better now, but I don't think I've read of many cases like yours within the past 6 months so it's almost surprising (unless your install was years ago).

Your experience sounds like the opposite of nearly every recent posts here from California...

Almost everything I've seen lately is pushed back installs for 6+ months due to supply issues, no PTO for 6+ months, can't make any changes if you aren't cookie cutter for Tesla Solar, etc. I think Tesla also only uses string inverters now.

(Above was all reasons I didn't pick Tesla after starting my research here last year).

Either you were very lucky or they are better now, but I don't think I've read of many cases like yours within the past 6 months so it's almost surprising (unless your install was years ago).
That is the problem with basing opinions on forums post. The vast majority of forum post are negative. It does not matter the product, company, etc. People that have a good experience seldom post about it.

With that said, the things you mention are real. Tesla is a low-cost volume leader because they do cookie cutter installs which work for the majority of customer whose primary goals are to cut their power bills and have backup power. If one wants to make their own decisions regarding configurations and have someone install the configuration they specify then Tesla is not a match.

Reactions: cdub and no2gates