Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar vs ....[third party competitors]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dumb question as I'm starting to look into solar (roof needs replaced imminently): Is Tesla solar available in Ohio? Tesla webpage says no, but a friend who lives ~5 miles from me got a quote a while back from them. And one of the roofers bidding on the house definitively said they could install a Solar roof (though not panels) even though Tesla says solar roof is not available in Ohio.

Dumb question as I'm starting to look into solar (roof needs replaced imminently): Is Tesla solar available in Ohio? Tesla webpage says no, but a friend who lives ~5 miles from me got a quote a while back from them. And one of the roofers bidding on the house definitively said they could install a Solar roof (though not panels) even though Tesla says solar roof is not available in Ohio.
I am doing same.
Start here, check links esp PV Watts

Then

and expand from there.

EnergySage provides some good info but is primarily a solar lead generating service. They take your name, address and blanket you with a list of local installers. Presumably once you select an installer, you are then locked into a 3 way arrangement with the installer compensating EnergySage meaning you pay slightly more. Who knows how much more but they offer a $100 referral reward so it's something north of that.

EnergySage provides some good info but is primarily a solar lead generating service. They take your name, address and blanket you with a list of local installers. Presumably once you select an installer, you are then locked into a 3 way arrangement with the installer compensating EnergySage meaning you pay slightly more. Who knows how much more but they offer a $100 referral reward so it's something north of that.
Yes, that is true.
What I found is they provide a lot of detail on what you are getting, and an easy way to get a lot of quotes.
You do not have to pick from them, look at the installers offers, learn about details.

also free book
"Solar Power Demystified".

I am doing same.
Start here, check links esp PV Watts

Then

and expand from there.

Thanks, I've already done those things. I have online quotes from 5 companies (3 through Energysage) and 6th that actually came out to the house (and not shockingly were 505 higher than the next highest quote). I was just curious if Tesla should/could be one of the competing companies.

Reactions: MontyFloyd

I can't speak for Tesla and Ohio, but I used Energy Sage as well as checking a few local solar outfits. I probably got 10 - 15 quotes and spent (wasted) a lot of time on my own research. As great as some people make local places to be, some were (maybe it's just the salesperson) incredibly ignorant and stated completely wrong info. Pricing was definitely higher on the local guys, but it's pretty cost prohibitively high at times ($4+/W). Some just said they sold Sunpower and they were simply the best because of a Sunpower brochure.

Bottom line is do your own homework and see what fits your needs.

Energy sage could be bad as well since mentioned, they sub-contract out probably tons/most of work due to generating so many leads. It sorta boils down to who does your install I guess.

Tesla solar is hit/miss and you can read many stories here. If your install is cookie cutter, it's "almost" impossible to beat Tesla on pricing (they've raised prices a lot now), but you're forced to use their inverter and can't choose microinverters if that's what you want. Hearing the horror stories of a dead inverter taking 3 months to fix/replace and only a 10 year warranty on it (vs. 25 for micros) made me cross Tesla off pretty early in my research. They are also less flexible in general if you want custom stuff done vs. other intallers.

I can't speak for Tesla and Ohio, but I used Energy Sage as well as checking a few local solar outfits. I probably got 10 - 15 quotes and spent (wasted) a lot of time on my own research. As great as some people make local places to be, some were (maybe it's just the salesperson) incredibly ignorant and stated completely wrong info. Pricing was definitely higher on the local guys, but it's pretty cost prohibitively high at times ($4+/W). Some just said they sold Sunpower and they were simply the best because of a Sunpower brochure.

So far I talked with only 1 person who really knew what he was selling, and get answers I want.

Research is not wasted, it is making up for sales people shortcomings that is wasted.

Reactions: Aellinsar
Part of my search included going to the local vendor home show. One can quickly find out which vendors are knowledgeable, have good product, do their own installs, and offer a fair price. No need to have them come out to the home - just tell me your best $/watt. Pretty quickly the rookie sales guy takes a back seat and you end up talking to the right person.

Reactions: MontyFloyd
I went with a local installer that I vetted heavily after finding on EnergySage. I only got one quote from the site weirdly and it was high, $3/w vs what Tesla and 8M Solar (whom I used) gave $2.12/w. It wasn't a beauty contest install but it is clean and works. I also have a single inverter, so yes I could have issues in the future but my research shows that even with Microinverter differences it wasn't worth it currently. I bet in 2023 Enphase will have costs down enough that it is just the choice of a system essentially versus an economic one, for me it was a $3k swing.

Reactions: kabin
I went with a local installer that I vetted heavily after finding on EnergySage. I only got one quote from the site weirdly and it was high, $3/w vs what Tesla and 8M Solar (whom I used) gave $2.12/w. It wasn't a beauty contest install but it is clean and works. I also have a single inverter, so yes I could have issues in the future but my research shows that even with Microinverter differences it wasn't worth it currently. I bet in 2023 Enphase will have costs down enough that it is just the choice of a system essentially versus an economic one, for me it was a $3k swing.
Sounds like you did well.

Who did you end up going with if you don't mind. It looks like we are looking for the same thing. I have quotes for 10.4kW system with 2 Powerwalls. The short list for me is NRG Clean Power and Solar Optimum. Both are REC or Panasonic 400W panels with Enphase IQ8M microinverters. It seems as though Solar Optimum has better ratings than NRG Clean Power and they also come in ~$10K cheaper than NRG Clean Power with a final cost of $55.5K. Tesla's comparable system is 12kW with 2 Powerwalls for $52.3K but who knows if I'll be able to get it installed/PTO to get the 26% credit AND NEM 2. With the local installers, I am baking a clause in the contract around those conditions.

Seems to be the trade off. Tesla will give me larger system for little cheaper, but not as "superior" technology with the local installers having microinverters.

Who did you end up going with if you don't mind. It looks like we are looking for the same thing. I have quotes for 10.4kW system with 2 Powerwalls. The short list for me is NRG Clean Power and Solar Optimum. Both are REC or Panasonic 400W panels with Enphase IQ8M microinverters. It seems as though Solar Optimum has better ratings than NRG Clean Power and they also come in ~$10K cheaper than NRG Clean Power with a final cost of $55.5K. Tesla's comparable system is 12kW with 2 Powerwalls for $52.3K but who knows if I'll be able to get it installed/PTO to get the 26% credit AND NEM 2. With the local installers, I am baking a clause in the contract around those conditions.

Seems to be the trade off. Tesla will give me larger system for little cheaper, but not as "superior" technology with the local installers having microinverters.
HardHitter, good comments. I'm trying to hold out for Tesla Solar because of the larger cheaper system. But IES offers Enphase IQ7A or IR8A microinverters for about $15k more and they can start installing soon. Regardless, Tesla will be cheaper but the IES will use microinverters and I can call and harass someone throughout the entire process.

I'm going breath some life into this thread and share the four quotes that I've got - Central California (Monterey Bay) for comparison purposes.

Allterra Solar
$15,563
4.40 kW

Sandbar Solar
$13,759
5.04 kW

Solcius
$13,403
5.55 kW

Tesla
$9,573
5.20 kW

Was curious how this was even possible, but Tesla apparently includes the 30% tax credit in your price as well as some SREC credit.

It's normally $13988. Scroll lower and you'll see it. Similar priced with other providers honestly. I'd avoid Tesla personally if you are trying to beat NEM3.0 timeframes.

No amount of savings now will be worth it if you miss NEM2.0 (even though you really have none with Tesla).

You wasted 4 minutes of my time also.

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus and h2ofun
Was curious how this was even possible, but Tesla apparently includes the 30% tax credit in your price as well as some SREC credit.

It's normally $13988. Scroll lower and you'll see it. Similar priced with other providers honestly. I'd avoid Tesla personally if you are trying to beat NEM3.0 timeframes.

No amount of savings now will be worth it if you miss NEM2.0 (even though you really have none with Tesla).

You wasted 4 minutes of my time also.
Wow, putting that up and its not even an apples to apples comparison?

I'd avoid Tesla personally if you are trying to beat NEM3.0 timeframes.

My understanding is as long as your application for permit (?) is before the April date, you're good. Are you suggesting that they wouldn't even submit permit apps until whenever it is convenient?

• Disagree
Reactions: Vines
I could be
My understanding is as long as your application for permit (?) is before the April date, you're good. Are you suggesting that they wouldn't even submit permit apps until whenever it is convenient?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those other prices are pre-tax credit right? That's usually how folks post $/W.

Yes, what you ask is true. But if you (and really, anyone here) asks Tesla, try to get them to submit all your paperwork before you're installed/passed inspection. From reading posts here and from reddit, I've never seen anyone state Tesla will even do this for you and some were told Tesla doesn't work that way.

There are enough posts here about messed up PTO/paperwork that I avoided Tesla because I was that worried about NEM3.0, but good luck to folks who like to gamble.

My guess is all installers are probably swamped now so people should be happy if they can schedule you because IMO, yes, NEM3.0 is that bad. 87% less exports for San Diego.

I could be

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those other prices are pre-tax credit right? That's usually how folks post $/W.

Yes, what you ask is true. But if you (and really, anyone here) asks Tesla, try to get them to submit all your paperwork before you're installed/passed inspection. From reading posts here and from reddit, I've never seen anyone state Tesla will even do this for you and some were told Tesla doesn't work that way.

There are enough posts here about messed up PTO/paperwork that I avoided Tesla because I was that worried about NEM3.0, but good luck to folks who like to gamble.

My guess is all installers are probably swamped now so people should be happy if they can schedule you because IMO, yes, NEM3.0 is that bad. 87% less exports for San Diego.

@TwistedGray didnt post a price per watt, they posted a total cost along with a total price. I would be surprised if the other pricing they got did not also include tax credits being already deducted., but of course I dont know that for a fact, its just a guess. I am not assuming any attempt to make one company look cheaper than it is, or others not to. The pricing looks in line if all have tax credits to me /shrug.

Expecting Tesla to perform on any specific type of schedule other than theirs is not realistic, at least not in my opinion. They will, or wont apply for X whenever they get around to processing your file. You wont speed them up with requests, demands, or anything else. Choosing them and expecting them to meet a timeline (even one important like that) is just an exercise in pending frustration.

If you are expecting to hit a timeline, you will want to choose a vendor whom you can have a conversation with. Tesla is good at a lot of things, and there are plenty of us who are happy with their tesla installs, but one thing you will hear almost universally is that they perform on their schedule, whatever that is, not the customers.