Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla - SolarCity miscommunication?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw two unrelated posts from potential buyers who want batteries with their solar cells and are confused, because of an issue as described here -
Tesla's New Battery Doesn't Work That Well With Solar - Bloomberg Business

Let me explain - There were two residential batteries offered by Tesla, a 10 kWh and 7 kWh. They have different li-ion chemistries.
The 10 kWh does not have the cycle life for daily use and is meant for backup only. The 7 kWh is meant for daily use.

The problem started from the fact that SolarCity decided to sell only the 10 kWh battery and not the 7 kWh (expect for in Hawaii),
not because of technical issues but because they do not see it as financially beneficial enough to customers.

This only confuses customers, who do not look for financial viability for the most part and are doing a lifestyle choice to be off grid. The impression that is taken is that there are technical problems with Tesla batteries working with solar.

Tesla is loosing both sales and brand name as a result. As with anything Tesla, this just gets magnified by the press.
If any of you is in contact with Tesla representatives - please pass on this issue. Unless you see a flaw in the description in which case please explain.

This was covered in the earnings call: Elon said, eventually both batteries will be offered by SolarCity everywhere. Even if it doesn't make financial sense but to satisfy those who want it regardless of the financials. I think it is ok, to not offer the non-financially viable option at the beginning. For one, it prevents disappointments & nasty articles ("selling snake oil that just doesn't make sense to my poor Granny who is too stupid to calculate stuff") and secondly, it helps to prioritize demand during the ramp-up.

That there is no better comms on that topic right now is indeed a pity.

It'll get sorted out in time. Tesla can't even supply the residential demand at this point in time, which they've already said publicly doesn't make economic sense in much of the US for getting off the grid. Tesla had other markets in mind for that. For the US they were focused on the leveling out of peak demand, etc., etc., etc... But isn't it interesting the significant portion of the population who wants to produce their own energy and not be dependent on utilities. That's quite fascinating.

I think they've (Tesla) been taken aback a bit by the interest and significantly under estimated the potential demand. I imagine they'll be sitting down and re-evaluating things. With already an off-handed comment about increasing the size of Gigafactory by 50% just to try and meet the demand they are seeing right now, indicates some exciting times to come. We really, really, really need some other big name companies to get with the program and partner with Tesla to bring us into a sustainable future.

It'll get sorted out in time. Tesla can't even supply the residential demand at this point in time, which they've already said publicly doesn't make economic sense in much of the US for getting off the grid. Tesla had other markets in mind for that. For the US they were focused on the leveling out of peak demand, etc., etc., etc... But isn't it interesting the significant portion of the population who wants to produce their own energy and not be dependent on utilities. That's quite fascinating.

I think they've (Tesla) been taken aback a bit by the interest and significantly under estimated the potential demand. I imagine they'll be sitting down and re-evaluating things. With already an off-handed comment about increasing the size of Gigafactory by 50% just to try and meet the demand they are seeing right now, indicates some exciting times to come. We really, really, really need some other big name companies to get with the program and partner with Tesla to bring us into a sustainable future.

I agree ! It would be great if a giant utility got on board as a partner in Gigafactory 1.