Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sold me a Lemon and called me to buy-back - HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a tesla from a dealership in TX. At the time the car fax was clean. 6 weeks after the purchase, Florida and Tesla returned signed documents of my car having lemmon law back in 2019. I have a clear blue Texas Title but No dealerships will take my car in on trade because carfax report shows the title to be branded. IDK what to do. Dealership had no idea at time of selling.

You have them undo the deal, or provide a discount, i.e., a refund of some portion of your purchase cost.

You were had, but the original seller (Tesla?) had to disclose this material defect in the car's history when it was first sold, post-buy back.

Somewhere along the way, someone played a fast one . . . and even if it wasn't your seller, the person that sold it to them likely knew.

There's a trail here; it's NOT your job to find it.

Either get a huge discount/refund, or start the "undo" process. Your state dealership licensing body can help if you don't get the results you want, and fast.

Don't sit on this as the longer it goes on, the harder it will be to fix.

Reactions: jrc0yne
I just bought a tesla from a dealership in TX. At the time the car fax was clean. 6 weeks after the purchase, Florida and Tesla returned signed documents of my car having lemmon law back in 2019. I have a clear blue Texas Title but No dealerships will take my car in on trade because carfax report shows the title to be branded. IDK what to do. Dealership had no idea at time of selling.
Humm. There are some pretty shady dealers here in Texas. Not sure I believe them.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I have been looking into upgrading my 2021 Model 3 SR+ to a Model Y. So I have been shopping my car around on the Carvana's, Vroom's of the world. My brother has the same car I do and was getting offers of 46-49k for his. So when I got mine back at 23k I was surprised. One of them contacted me stating they were not interested in buying my car because it had been in an accident where multiple airbags had been deployed. She also sent me the Carfax for it. Dang sure enough it showed an accident with multiple airbag deploys and that hit had hit a building on 2/27/21 and repairs were made 5/27/21. Only problem is...I bought it new from Tesla on June 10, 2021, 3.5 months after this accident.

When I bought the car they told me it had very minimal miles (Less than 500), but stayed that they were going to sell it to me as a new car but provide me a $1,700 discount for the miles driven. On my loan paperwork, the vehicle is marked as new. So I said ok and made sure to look very closely at delivery (In Houston, TX) and it was beautiful. So it appears they have sold me a car that had wrecked into a wall and had airbags blow, which has given me a 20k hit on the value. Before I connected the dots I put in a request with Carfax to have it removed because I thought it was obviously an error. I am still waiting to hear back from Carfax, but I have also sent an email to the Tesla Disputes email address detailing everything.

I have had no issues with the car and love it, I just want a Model Y because my kids are getting a little bigger. My plan was to take my equity in the car and put it towards a Model Y. So we will see what happens, but it has definitely left a sour taste in my mouth. Hopefully, they do the right thing. Not really sure if I can get a sweet deal like OP, but I don't even know what to use to sweeten the deal for my troubles. I am usually not that kind of guy, so its a little bit nerve racking.

• Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc
I have been looking into upgrading my 2021 Model 3 SR+ to a Model Y. So I have been shopping my car around on the Carvana's, Vroom's of the world. My brother has the same car I do and was getting offers of 46-49k for his. So when I got mine back at 23k I was surprised. One of them contacted me stating they were not interested in buying my car because it had been in an accident where multiple airbags had been deployed. She also sent me the Carfax for it. Dang sure enough it showed an accident with multiple airbag deploys and that hit had hit a building on 2/27/21 and repairs were made 5/27/21. Only problem is...I bought it new from Tesla on June 10, 2021, 3.5 months after this accident.

When I bought the car they told me it had very minimal miles (Less than 500), but stayed that they were going to sell it to me as a new car but provide me a $1,700 discount for the miles driven. On my loan paperwork, the vehicle is marked as new. So I said ok and made sure to look very closely at delivery (In Houston, TX) and it was beautiful. So it appears they have sold me a car that had wrecked into a wall and had airbags blow, which has given me a 20k hit on the value. Before I connected the dots I put in a request with Carfax to have it removed because I thought it was obviously an error. I am still waiting to hear back from Carfax, but I have also sent an email to the Tesla Disputes email address detailing everything.

I have had no issues with the car and love it, I just want a Model Y because my kids are getting a little bigger. My plan was to take my equity in the car and put it towards a Model Y. So we will see what happens, but it has definitely left a sour taste in my mouth. Hopefully, they do the right thing. Not really sure if I can get a sweet deal like OP, but I don't even know what to use to sweeten the deal for my troubles. I am usually not that kind of guy, so its a little bit nerve racking.
I am not sure if this is the case, but a company or dealer can sell a car as new that has been damaged and repaired. See this article.