Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sold Me A Wrecked M3 As New

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What winnings? The OP just wants a new Tesla like he paid for. In this case, give the Model Y to the OP after applying the devalued amount

OP may only want a replaced vehicle that wasn't in a serious accident but in reality Tesla won't just hand that over. It's been well documented they are EXTREMELY stingy and only respond to actual litigation unless there is a MASSIVE news round on an issue. OP can go call and try but if I had them reject the cost of me correcting their mistake on registering my car turning a couple hundred dollar request into now a couple thousand dollars as I file it in small claims using a lawyer (NY allows).

I'd ask via customer support, give a week for it to work through whatever offices and if no update just go file for breach of contract and various degrees of fraud. Carfax can produce the data that gave them the incident info and that will trace back to a bodyshop, police report, insurance claim. I doubt it ends up being a false report considering the car was a demo and it's realistic to see the demo was wrecked on a test drive.

I know of a Model S that was smashed on a Test drive. Turns out not only was the test driver not licensed, the worker no longer held a valid license either. I assume if there was insurance it refused to pay out as Tesla corporate refused to pay to repair it either. After it sat at my friends shop for months on end he began to move for a lien and they finally just transported it off-site.

Lots of people in big hurry to pile on Tesla. I wonder if these same people will pile on Carfax if they are found to be in error. Once again, I have seen many Carfax errors and correcting them is a Herculean effort because when you click on I agree to the terms and conditions to get a Carfax report you are agreeing that they have zero liability.

Lots of people in big hurry to pile on Tesla. I wonder if these same people will pile on Carfax if they are found to be in error. Once again, I have seen many Carfax errors and correcting them is a Herculean effort because when you click on I agree to the terms and conditions to get a Carfax report you are agreeing that they have zero liability.

That's the same type of agreement that means nothing like if you signed your life away to me. The issue is that Carfax doesn't get held accountable in court because if they refuse to remove something and you sue them they'll end up settling with you to remove the data item and not admitting by removing it that it was wrong.

Even if an item is 100% correctly reported like an accident with a police report, they'll remove it if served with paperwork.

That is exactly right and why Carfax reports are as much entertainment value as “ The Truth “ and why almost no one is capable of suffering the brain damage required to correct a bogus one. Anyway we all know that everything on the internet is true in the multiverse somewhere.

Last edited:
I have been looking into upgrading my 2021 Model 3 SR+ to a Model Y. So I have been shopping my car around on the Carvana's, Vroom's of the world. My brother has the same car I do and was getting offers of 46-49k for his. So when I got mine back at 23k I was surprised. One of them contacted me stating they were not interested in buying my car because it had been in an accident where multiple airbags had been deployed. They also sent me the Carfax for it. Sure enough it showed an accident with multiple airbag deployed and that hit had hit a building on 2/27/21 and repairs were made 5/27/21. Only problem is...I took delivery from Tesla on June 10, 2021, 3.5 months after this accident.

When I bought the car they told me it had very minimal miles (Less than 500), but stayed that they were going to sell it to me as a new car but provide me a $1,700 discount for the miles driven. On my loan paperwork, the vehicle is marked as new. So I said ok and made sure to look very closely at delivery (In Houston, TX) and it was beautiful. So it appears they have sold me a car that had wrecked into a wall and had airbags blow, which has given me a 20k hit on the value. Before I connected the dots I put in a request with Carfax to have it removed because I thought it was obviously an error. I am still waiting to hear back from Carfax, but I have also sent an email to the Tesla Disputes email address detailing everything.

I have had no issues with the car and love it, I want to upgrade to a Model Y because my kids are getting a little bigger. My plan was to take my equity in the car and put it towards a Model Y. So we will see what happens, but it has definitely left a sour taste in my mouth.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? If so, how long should I expect it to take before Tesla reaches out to me from Resolutions? Its been over 24 hours now and would think something like this is deserving of elevated attention. Thanks!
What is the build date for your car?

I would deal w tesla first - a Lawer may want a big percent of any winnings - or money upfront - I would post on the tesla sights recommended to get their attention - keep it brief and state your giving tesla a chance to make good on their error -

My story is a survey of one, of course, but I just don't see Tesla doing anything for anybody that they don't have to. If you have a single example of somebody getting correct service from Tulsa corporate on a difficult case like this, I'd love to hear it.

And I'd really like to know the person at Tesla who gave them that correct response. Maybe I could talk to them and they could reverse the decision that I've gotten from various people in Tesla corporate. (If you didn't read my post above, Tesla even admits that they were wrong, and that what I say is correct, but that's just too bad.)

These people believe they are saving the world and that no one else has the intelligence or capability that they do. They really don't give a crap what happens to anybody.

And understand I'm a person who has relatives who have told him "just get a job with Tesla and leave me alone, I don't want to buy a new tesla." Everybody I know thinks that I think Tesla is the world. And I had been a fan for more than a decade. Since they started shipping the first roadsters! They don't care, and they'll throw anyone under the bus.

In the publication above they just asked CARFAX to run the VINS. CARFAX gave then a clean bill of health. Now, the publication's point was there is a difference between saying "we have no records/reports of damage therefore WE DON'T know." And... "We have no records/reports of damage, so these cars are clean." But... how do you sell "we don't know."? Now this was done a while ago and I'm sure CARFAX has disclaimers all over their site -- still, no one is perfect.

I want to give Tesla a chance to make it right I love my car and still plan on buying another one even with these issues. At the same time I also don't want this to take months to resolve if possible. I have sent information to an attorney that specializes in diminished value in vehicles, and I am waiting to hear back. My thought process is, even though I agreed to arbitration (picture below) when I signed the for vehicle, contacting an attorney could help me through the process and to not take an offer from Tesla that would not be smart for me.

I have also been contacted by a few different journalists with a significant social media following asking to provide more details so they can publish stories. It seems beneficial to publicize my issue, but I do not want to blast Tesla too soon without giving them a chance to fix it, or like mentioned in this thread...Carfax says "my bad" and removes it. So it seems like I am kind of in a balancing act until I hear from Tesla. Can hiring a lawyer speed the process up without necessarily violating my agreement to arbitrate? I feel like I will be passed around for a few months before anything gets done. Thanks for everyones responses so far, it is really helping educate me on how to view and handle this. I really appreciate it.

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 12.36.16 PM.png

It seems beneficial to publicize my issue, but I do not want to blast Tesla too soon without giving them a chance to fix it, or like mentioned in this thread...Carfax says "my bad" and removes it.
Yeah, it would be too soon if you haven't verified that what Carfax reports is true. (Does Carfax list the body shop that did the work?) Have you looked for any signs of major repairs? Have you taken it to a body shop and asked them to see if it looks like it has been repaired? (Maybe they could check the paint thickness to see if it is consistent on the vehicle.)

Sounds it was the third party offers that were low. Did you ask Tesla about trading it in or buying it back?
Not yet. I am waiting for Tesla to respond.
Yeah, it would be too soon if you haven't verified that what Carfax reports is true. (Does Carfax list the body shop that did the work?) Have you looked for any signs of major repairs? Have you taken it to a body shop and asked them to see if it looks like it has been repaired? (Maybe they could check the paint thickness to see if it is consistent on the vehicle.)
Those are good ideas, I have not taken it to a body shop. When I took delivery of the car I inspected it close like everyone on this site says to do (panel gaps, chips, rim scuffs, etc) It looked great and still does. The Carfax does not list where it was repaired, just the date. It shows I am the only owner with the first title being issued when I registered at the DMV after I purchased it. So the little hope I have of it being a Carfax error is if no one owned the vehicle before me, that means someone that worked at Tesla wrecked it. If they worked at Tesla and wrecked it, why would they report it to Carfax when they could just repair it internally and avoid an issue like this all together and keep the value high?

Again - what is the build date of your car? It’s on a sticker in the car somewhere; most likely in the door jam. That is a super easy sort - if the build date is after the wreck shown in Carfax it would be very unusual to wreck a car that hasn’t been built yet and if its after anything is possible.

Again - what is the build date of your car? It’s on a sticker in the car somewhere; most likely in the door jam. That is a super easy sort - if the build date is after the wreck shown in Carfax it would be very unusual to wreck a car that hasn’t been built yet and if its after anything is possible.
2373A7E8-FE1B-48DB-98F3-7328B1FD6D09.jpeg

December of 2020, which keeps it in play. That was a good idea though. Thanks!

Reactions: electricar
Heres another relatively cheap check. Use another vin check service and see if they pull the same records. Here's a site that has carfax competitors.

Reactions: electricar
Heres another relatively cheap check. Use another vin check service and see if they pull the same records. Here's a site that has carfax competitors.

Dude...took your advice. Autocheck had the actual case number. So I did some digging and found out it was Harris County Sheriffs Office that filed the report. Went to the TXDOT website, purchased the State Accident Report. Unbelievable.

1660245082182.png

Dude...took your advice. Autocheck had the actual case number. So I did some digging and found out it was Harris County Sheriffs Office that filed the report. Went to the TXDOT website, purchased the State Accident Report. Unbelievable.

View attachment 839735
Interesting that that report only says "minor damage". So it could be that only the front bumper cover needed to be replaced/repaired. (Which would likely put it under the limit that Tesla would need to disclose it.)

So where did Carfax get the report that multiple airbags went off? (Since that seems to conflict with the Sherriff's Office report.)