Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla-sourced Winter Tires vs Third-party

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I wrong, or do the winter tires and wheels offered by Tesla for the M3P seem way too expensive?

Model 3 19” Gemini Wheel and Winter Tire Package

$4700 CDN seems pretty high.

Without even really trying, I found a nice set of new tires and wheels, shipped for free to my door, for way less than half that.

Is there anything special about the Tesla options?

What are other people in Canada using for winter tires on their M3P?

@ehacke - Yes, aftermarket options are definitely a lot more reasonable. There is nothing special about that set from Tesla. Costco have good prices on winter tires, but you may need to source the wheels/tpms sensors somewhere else.

I got TPMS sensors on Amazon bought used wheels from this forum. Wheel sales come up quite often on here.

I got a set of Fast EV-01+ wheels and Nokian Hakka R3 tires, new TPMS (Autel MX), mounted/balanced and new lugs for under $3k taxes in. As far as I'm concerned that's the holy grail setup for winter driving. There's no reason you should be paying over $5k after taxes.

*shrug* I don’t see why this is a surprise.

Tesla is not a tire dealer, so they wouldn’t be able to compete in that arena. Some people prefer to only buy from the manufacturer, thus Tesla does have options available, but third party can beat them on prices.

Reactions: martind3
I got a set of Fast EV-01+ wheels and Nokian Hakka R3 tires, new TPMS (Autel MX), mounted/balanced and new lugs for under $3k taxes in. As far as I'm concerned that's the holy grail setup for winter driving. There's no reason you should be paying over $5k after taxes.

THIS is what I want to do, but correct me if I'm wrong...The offer on 18s from Tesla is't horrible compared to other pricing.

Tesla | Vehicle Accessories Model 3

THIS is what I want to do, but correct me if I'm wrong...The offer on 18s from Tesla is't horrible compared to other pricing.

Tesla | Vehicle Accessories Model 3

This is not terrible for OEM alloys, but it's not an option for those on the Performance package.

Pirellis are not bad, I've had a set before, but there are many versions of that tire and the ones pictured are not the 3s, I'd check what you're actually getting. For the same price, a top end Nokian tire will blow that away.

I bought 20" rims from Tsportline. They are a seller on the forum. Shipped to Toronto within a couple days. They have free shipping last time I checked. They are direct bolt to Tesla. I bought winter tires at kaltire and put them on the stock wheel. The stock tire went to the new Tsportline wheels. Much cheaper than what Tesla offers. They now have more options than when I bought. 19" were not available 3 years ago.

My referral code for $50 off.
T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Aftermarket Accessories

Good luck

Reactions: LSalvaggio
My purchase was a bit more convoluted: I bought wheels and TPMS sensors from Wheelwiz, bought Nokian R3s from Kal Tire, had the OEM tires removed from the OEM 18" rims and installed on the new wheels from Wheelwiz and the Nokian R3s installed on the OEM rims. And all of this was still at least $2000 cheaper than buying the winter wheel packages from Tesla.

Reactions: LSalvaggio
I built a cart with wheels, tires, tpms sensors and mandatory installation kit (hub rings, nuts etc) at wheelwiz. I put the same tires as offered on tesla web site: pierlli sottozero 3. It came to a total of about 2300 before taxes ( I took wheels that cost 190$ each)

So it is cheaper that tesla by only 400$ which isn't that much... In my case, I will go with Tesla offering for the price difference...

out of curiosity, I also check for Nokian tires, and they don't seem to have winter tires that matches Tesla model 3 specs...

Also, costco offers the pirelli sottozero 3 for 25$ cheaper each and it is the only winter tire that matches model 3 specs (but installation price takes up most of the price difference).

Another FYI (looking after reading a comment from sokhangoo): canadian tires have X-Ice3 for 260$ which would take the price down (260$) to 2040$ (not sure if tires are installed for that price)

Last edited:
Maybe I'm too eager to spend money, but even after this whole thread pointing out that $4700 for the M3P winter tire package at Tesla is way too much, still kinda tempted to do it.

Would just be so much less hassle/risk to get direct when I pickup the car, and the Gemini aero setup would help with winter range compared to the options on Wheelwiz or similar.

If I order online to my condo, I'll have to find a place to assemble and install them for me downtown. Meh.

I guess just mulling over whether I'm willing to pay $2,000 because I'm lazy.

Reactions: Vawlkus