TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Speed Demon on Mashable...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by fiksegts, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Pretty good story. Given the title it's a bit disappointing that the entirety of "mak[ing] his Tesla go faster" involved fitting a stickier set of tires, but interesting nonetheless.

2. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

Same OEM Michelin tires were used, just different wheels.....

3. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

#4 Gizmotoy, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    You might be right. It doesn't really say which tires were on the OEMs, and only mentions the upgraded wheels used Michelins (presumably Super Sports, from what I can tell in the pictures).

My confusion seems to be caused by the fact that the article writer doesn't know the difference between tires and wheels, then:
    Edit: Are you sure they're the OEMs? Looks like most P85Ds are PS2s, and the ADV.1 is a 22" wheel so they can't be the OEM tires. I can't read the writing on the side, but the sidewall design definitely looks more like the Super Sports than the PS2s.

4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Important, too. Because there was a ot of talk in the performance threads about the P85D being able to use all the torque it had and not pulling power. This article says there was wheelspin even on the second, faster run, suggesting that traditional methods of adding traction can still boost the performance.

5. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

positive, it's my car.... :)

stock size OEM tires all around, the article needs some corrections.... custom wheels, not custom tires... :)

I did get a little spin on the first run since the tires were brand new, never been driven on, the 2nd run had no spin and was a little quicker at 11.60....

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Which version of the firmware were you running on the 11.60 day?

7. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

that run was on March 4th, I have to figure out what version it was...

8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Ha. :biggrin: Well, you would know!

Michelin PS2s? I wasn't aware they started making the ADV.1 in 21" sizing. Neat. It's a good-looking wheel.

9. ERP

ERP Ludicrous Member

Looks like a fun day, and those wheels are beautiful. But I am surprised you didn't go with a 19" wheel and smaller diameter tire. The 19" provides more options for track/competition tires. You would loose a small mount of contact patch, but gain the benefits of lower weight and slightly shorter gearing. The PS2 245/35/21 weight 25 lbs and have an overall diameter of 27.8". 245/35/19 track tires weight 21-22 lbs and have a diameter of 25.8"

10. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

lol fkin Brooks always up to something. I remember him from back in the RX7 and Viper days. Didn't know he ran DragTimes though... kinda cool :)

11. ErstD

ErstD Member

Does anyone know how one can order the ADV1 wheels mentioned online?