Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Speed Demon on Mashable...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same OEM Michelin tires were used, just different wheels.....
You might be right. It doesn't really say which tires were on the OEMs, and only mentions the upgraded wheels used Michelins (presumably Super Sports, from what I can tell in the pictures).

My confusion seems to be caused by the fact that the article writer doesn't know the difference between tires and wheels, then:
First, Weisblat will drag race with Tesla’s factory-spec tires. Then Swerdloff’s team will jack up the electric car and switch the tires, and he'll take at least one more run. The hope is that these tires can increase the Tesla Model S P85D’s best quarter-mile time, if only by a fraction of a second.

Edit: Are you sure they're the OEMs? Looks like most P85Ds are PS2s, and the ADV.1 is a 22" wheel so they can't be the OEM tires. I can't read the writing on the side, but the sidewall design definitely looks more like the Super Sports than the PS2s.

Last edited:
Pretty good story. Given the title it's a bit disappointing that the entirety of "mak[ing] his Tesla go faster" involved fitting a stickier set of tires, but interesting nonetheless.

Important, too. Because there was a ot of talk in the performance threads about the P85D being able to use all the torque it had and not pulling power. This article says there was wheelspin even on the second, faster run, suggesting that traditional methods of adding traction can still boost the performance.

positive, it's my car.... :)

stock size OEM tires all around, the article needs some corrections.... custom wheels, not custom tires... :)

I did get a little spin on the first run since the tires were brand new, never been driven on, the 2nd run had no spin and was a little quicker at 11.60....

positive, it's my car.... :)

stock size OEM tires all around, the article needs some corrections.... custom wheels, not custom tires... :)

I did get a little spin on the first run since the tires were brand new, never been driven on, the 2nd run had no spin and was a little quicker at 11.60....

Ha. :biggrin: Well, you would know!

Michelin PS2s? I wasn't aware they started making the ADV.1 in 21" sizing. Neat. It's a good-looking wheel.

Looks like a fun day, and those wheels are beautiful. But I am surprised you didn't go with a 19" wheel and smaller diameter tire. The 19" provides more options for track/competition tires. You would loose a small mount of contact patch, but gain the benefits of lower weight and slightly shorter gearing. The PS2 245/35/21 weight 25 lbs and have an overall diameter of 27.8". 245/35/19 track tires weight 21-22 lbs and have a diameter of 25.8"