Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Spoof Email - Impressive Effort

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
Just got an email From Elon apparently,

My name is Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla.

To support cryptocurrency transactions I am giving away large amounts of cryptocurrency. As you might have read in the news, we bought large amounts of cryptocurrency with my company Tesla.

Trying to show how grateful we are and giving back to the community, we are doubling all payments sent to our address. Do not send directly from an exchange, as this can result in the loss of the returned funds.

And of course, some scammy addresses.

Surprising though. No spelling mistakes. Not the best grammar but then, mine is terrible too.

And the email shows as actually coming from [email protected] - instead of some kind of variant.

Colour me impressed. Spammers have upped their game.

To support cryptocurrency transactions I am giving away large amounts of cryptocurrency. As you might have read in the news, we bought large amounts of cryptocurrency with my company Tesla.

Trying to show how grateful we are and giving back to the community, we are doubling all payments sent to our address. Do not send directly from an exchange, as this can result in the loss of the returned funds.

Surprising though. No spelling mistakes. Not the best grammar but then, mine is terrible too.

And the email shows as actually coming from [email protected] - instead of some kind of variant.

Wow, impressive!

Check the email header. Is it really from [email protected] or is that just one of two email addresses. Is there a link in it?

Seems legit to me. How much money have you made?

I'm just waiting to hear back from Prince Alibaba, as I had to do the transfer via his offshore account, but soon as I hear back i'll let you know!
Check the email header. Is it really from [email protected] or is that just one of two email addresses. Is there a link in it?
I wanted to double check but I can't find the original anymore...weird, its not even in my trash folders. But the header definitely showed that email address, which surprised me.

Reactions: Durzel
There was a story about this in the news a few months ago. Some German guy fell for it and lost £400k! For real.

“A fool and his money”… and all that.
I do feel sorry for the poor sod, though. I worry that it’s only a matter of time until I fall for some sophisticated scam…

I had a guy call from my bank’s fraud dept. Sounded wholly professional, incredibly helpful and reassuring.
the info he had and wanted didn’t smell quite right so I ended the call. It was a close call though.
My bank’s proper fraud department to whom I reported the call, couldn’t have been less professional or unhelpful.
no harm done anyway.
Moral of the story; if they seem really on the ball, they’re probably scammers!

I had a guy call from my bank’s fraud dept. Sounded wholly professional, incredibly helpful and reassuring.
the info he had and wanted didn’t smell quite right so I ended the call. It was a close call though.
My bank’s proper fraud department to whom I reported the call, couldn’t have been less professional or unhelpful.
no harm done anyway.
Moral of the story; if they seem really on the ball, they’re probably scammers!

I remember once years ago being _actually_ being called by my bank's fraud department and them asking for security details. I started answering and then realized, stopped and told them I'd call back. Obviously now, they wouldn't ask for details.

Reactions: AndrewGR
“A fool and his money”… and all that.
I do feel sorry for the poor sod, though. I worry that it’s only a matter of time until I fall for some sophisticated scam…
Not a fool in this case. Just got blinded by simple greed. It’s what scammers depend on. If someone offers you £400k for nothing in return you can assume it’s a scam!

Reactions: Durzel and Adopado
I got a call the other day while sitting at the Superchargers. A guy with an Indian accent was telling me that HMRC got an arrest warrant for me … I didn’t know that they went into the policing business. Does HMRC operate the prisons as well now ;-)

Reactions: GreenT