Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla "Sportster" on Model 3 Platform

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, turning a sports car into truck is only good for a funny one-off toy. Elon seemed to like it though.
But turning a sports car into a real sports car - a Corvette-beater - would be great.
If you think sedan-clothing fits it best, well, be happy.

You drunk off that Tesla Kool-Aid.... You mentioned that the model 3 you wanted to beat corvettes. The model 3 will probably not even be close to the new 2020 Corvette stats. 0-60 in under 3 seconds and mid engine. It should dummy the model 3 in any scenario. That's a bone stock Corvette. You rarely see many corvettes stock now a days. The model 3 Is far from a sports car. It's a four door soccer dad performance sedan. A sedan.... A new Corvette is just over 3300 lbs, your model 3 is over 4,000 lbs. You might have a chance with the 60'... But even a 1/2 mile... the New mid engine Corvette will humiliate my P100D also.

You've been on TMC way too long and high as hell

Last edited:
You drunk off that Tesla Kool-Aid.... You mentioned that the model 3 you wanted to beat corvettes. The model 3 will probably not even be close to the new 2020 Corvette stats. 0-60 in under 3 seconds and mid engine. It should dummy the model 3 in any scenario. That's a bone stock Corvette. You rarely see many corvettes stock now a days. The model 3 Is far from a sports car. It's a four door soccer dad performance sedan. A sedan.... A new Corvette is just over 3300 lbs, your model 3 is over 4,000 lbs. You might have a chance with the 60'... But even a 1/2 mile... the New mid engine Corvette will humiliate my P100D also.

You've been on TMC way too long and high as hell
I don't know about your P3, but mine's already a Porsche-killer.
I few tweaks of the motors (maybe just a software unleash), some body lightning, and it'll kill that new Vette too.
That's the challenge - they can do it! (Electric is simply superior.)
Btw. - So you think being a newb on TMC makes you better? Try the Vette fanboy forum - tell 'em about that old high-guy you know on TMC. You'll probably be really new and superior over there..

• Funny
Reactions: seattlite2004
Have owned coupes and roadsters all my life and only 1 sedan (1993 Taurus SHO).

I really wanted a coup and even though it was mostly known I watched the reveal hoping against hope that one would be announced. No coupe so I didn't pre order. I then bought a used Cadillac ELR instead hoping to see a coupe version announced. Have given up on a coupe since coupes are becoming very niche and even sedans are a dying breed. So very little chance there will be a coupe until Tesla is large and profitable and coupes come back in vogue. I still DREAM of a Model 4 coupe with a hatchback but......

Finely gave up and got my 3. Absolutely love the 3 and would not swap for any other coupe (if financial gain was not an option). Still miss the beauty and lines of a coupe.

Coupes are so much sexier and aggressive looking and love the swooping profile. Sedans just can't match this look, even the so called 4 door coupes.

IMG_3408.jpeg

IMG_4469.jpeg
IMG_0509.jpeg

Reactions: alexGS and Roys3
They never work fast enough for the amount of rain on the windshield. It is like 2 steps below where it should be. I have to choose manual setting to clear the rain after I get tired of pressing the button.

Mine is the opposite. It's always going too fast.
I have a glass coating, and wipers aren't really needed often. However, any little bit of rain and these things go ham

You guys are no fun. There's no reason that a 2 door coupe (with hatch like Model S) couldn't be cool even if it doesn't beat the new mid engine vette..

Absolutely :)
Kinda like an X1/9 or an MR2 for the 21st century. Today I was driving a 1986 MR2 1600 and it was quite a joy.

Model 3’s probably not faster than a Lamborghini Gallardo either, but I’m sure it’s a load nicer to drive without chassis flex and will feel a lot faster without all the clutch-slipping and violent gearchanges.

-Alex

Last edited:
Reactions: Msjulie
Have given up on a coupe since coupes are becoming very niche and even sedans are a dying breed. So very little chance there will be a coupe until Tesla is large and profitable and coupes come back in vogue. I still DREAM of a Model 4 coupe with a hatchback but......

Finely gave up and got my 3. Absolutely love the 3 and would not swap for any other coupe (if financial gain was not an option). Still miss the beauty and lines of a coupe.

Know what you mean; it’s particularly nice when the Coupe doesn’t share any body panels with the car on which it’s based, or was a clean-sheet design. Here’s my last Coupe, an Alfa Romeo Gtv V6 from the year 2000. Brilliant multilink rear suspension gave it balance and poise. Who cares if there was 220 or 230bhp, it was never slow... Sadly, three years ago someone drove through a stop sign into me and wiped off most of the front end. No injuries but the Gtv was beyond repair.

01167359-F266-4F6D-9D6E-7A03D7FE67AE.jpeg

-Alex

Last edited:
Reactions: JulienW
Pains me that sedans are being replaced by SUVs and crossovers.. no soul..

Hopefully, there’ll be a ‘rebellion’ in favour of small sporty cars instead of trucks and SUVs, like (I think) there was in California in the 70s with the VW Beetle or Bug as it’s called there. Before my time but I think that grew out of a distaste for excessively-large and wholly conventional domestic cars which didn’t impress the youngsters.

I remember visiting LA in 1987 as a 7-yr-old and even then seeing a contrast between the ‘import’ cars and the bulk of the domestic cars on the roads, which were large and box-like, often with four rectangular headlights and fake wood sides, really memorable for an antipodean visitor used to the sight of Euro and Japanese economy cars :)

I’m sure young people won’t see today’s useful ‘family SUVs’ as ‘cool’ for much longer, but then again, thanks to Uber/Lyft, maybe it’s not cool to own a vehicle at all.

As for me, I’m thrilled we finally get the chance to support American-designed-and-made innovation, rarely available in our small market over the years. Feels like the Apple of driving. Several companies made computers and then mobile phones, but it took Apple to show how they’d work “for the rest of us”.

-Alex

Last edited:
Reactions: Roys3 and Msjulie
I then bought a used Cadillac ELR instead hoping to see a coupe version announced.

Against everything I ever knew about myself, I actually liked the ELR's looks. It was almost a stopgap for me as well, same color - there was a used one I went to see but typical sleazy dealer had actually already sold it to someone and was just looking to get me into the stealership. I'm NOT a Cadillac buyer :) but that car was/still is pretty unique.

Reactions: JulienW and alexGS
I don't know about your P3, but mine's already a Porsche-killer.
I few tweaks of the motors (maybe just a software unleash), some body lightning, and it'll kill that new Vette too.
That's the challenge - they can do it! (Electric is simply superior.)
Btw. - So you think being a newb on TMC makes you better? Try the Vette fanboy forum - tell 'em about that old high-guy you know on TMC. You'll probably be really new and superior over there..

Congrats on beating the VW... Must of really pumped up those tires

Absolutely :)
Kinda like an X1/9 or an MR2 for the 21st century. Today I was driving a 1986 MR2 1600 and it was quite a joy.

Model 3’s probably not faster than a Lamborghini Gallardo either, but I’m sure it’s a load nicer to drive without chassis flex and will feel a lot faster without all the clutch-slipping and violent gearchanges.

-Alex

Have you ever driven a gaylardo...... depending on the year.. The model 3 should have no problem giving one a good run, Unfortunately the lambo will get much much more @$$ though

Raced one a few years back in my Supercharged Jeep. Bad run for the Lambo, but he was running 12's all night though

Last edited:
Reactions: alexGS
Have you ever driven a gaylardo...... depending on the year.. The model 3 should have no problem giving one a good run, Unfortunately the lambo will get much much more @$$ though

I currently own a Gallardo Spyder, ‘08 pre-LP. It’s in storage (not at my home) and it’s for sale. I don’t like driving it but have struggled on for three years, mainly using it on club runs and to shows etc. The engine lacks torque below 4000 (have to change down to get up hills) and the chassis is wobbly, shakes and rattles galore. Generally feels sluggish unless wound up. But it’s reliable and the driving position is good, and in bright green with a green interior, it gets lots of attention. Though not from anyone wanting to buy it!

-Alex

Raced one a few years back in my Supercharged Jeep. Bad run for the Lambo, but he was running 12's all night though

Just look at that Jeep of yours go! It’s a hilarious contrast to the Lamborghini which really is quite difficult to launch (a high first gear, 4WD).

Track racing is a different story. The 4WD makes an easy drive around a track, well-balanced into and out of corners, and the engine can be kept in the sweet spot with the close-ratio gearbox. However, I still regret choosing the Spyder (convertible) because of the weight and the flexibility. There was a similarly-priced Superleggera Coupe that would have been much better on-track, but I still wouldn’t enjoy it on the road... bear in mind that our roads are narrow, twisting, and hilly, with lots of traffic and low speed limits. A GT car is needed, rather than a race-tuned engine in a pretty body.

I’m buying the Model 3 as a far more practical road car, with the added bonus of being able to take it to a track and surprise people. On-topic for this thread, if the Model 3 came with two doors as a ‘gentleman’s coupe’, I’d probably choose that. Never again a convertible...

Congrats on successfully modifying your Jeep :)

-Alex

Last edited:
I do like my 3 even though that is kinda cool... station wagons are just not 'in' in the states but in Europe, maybe?
I’ve wondered that because they sell wagon versions of everything in Europe. I guess we’re all going to have to settle for a fat Model 3 with a slight lift, plastic cladding around the wheel wells, and a space compromised hatch. Can’t blame Tesla for going with a formula that seems to a gold mine for every other manufacturer. I miss my Subaru Legacy wagon :(

Reactions: Roys3 and Msjulie
I’ve wondered that because they sell wagon versions of everything in Europe. I guess we’re all going to have to settle for a fat Model 3 with a slight lift, plastic cladding around the wheel wells, and a space compromised hatch. Can’t blame Tesla for going with a formula that seems to a gold mine for every other manufacturer. I miss my Subaru Legacy wagon :(

I bet that "estate" look tesla render would actually do well in europe. The problem with station wagons here is they became "not cool" and mom cars for a generation. Mini Vans occupy the same space right now here in the US. Its my belief that SUVs will end up occupying that space, because for the generation coming up NOW, their "family car" is an SUV... and anything mom and dad likes is generally off limits when someone grows up (lol).

Reactions: alexGS and Msjulie