Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla "Sportster" on Model 3 Platform

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason I'm posting this is because I think the new mid-ICE Corvette will be a huge success - but should have been electric!
Tesla could steal their thunder, show them how it's done, using the existing Model 3P platform. Could be big...
I do love my P3 as a sedan - but as a sub-3 sec 0-60 2-seater I'd love it even more!

I think something like this is likely 5+ years out. The overwhelming majority of the public isn’t terribly interested in super fast cars, so this isn’t a significant focus. I suspect the 2020 Roadster is more of a branding move and a fun project. The high price is required to ensure demand is controlled. If they made it a bit more economical demand would probably be too high for current production capacity.

The car would need a much higher capacity battery to get more power out, and thats something they’re not interested in doing now as they’re cell constrained. Making it significantly lighter to get more performance out of what they have isn’t terribly practical today. I’d guess they’re well aware of the demand for such a vehicle, but it’s not very critical for their success.

Reactions: MagnusMako
I actually always thought a 2/3 sized Model 3, 2 doors, could be pretty great - the roadster (not really) that I likely will never afford (likely)
Good to see you, I haven't been on the forum for a long time.
Yes, the P3 in a new body would make a great affordable sports car. And Franz von Holzhausen could probably use a nice new project about now.

Yes, I feel my little sedan is a sports car - but it needs to go sub-3, like the Corvette!
Should be fun and easy to do with a few tweaks. Franz can do it!
Where's that fellow at who is hollowing out the interior, in preparation to put in a cage or something? He had dropped some serious weight (100's of lb) and he hadn't even gotten to replacing the driver seat, removing the various interior decorative panels, and so on. I'd like to hear how much he can drop off the off-the-line time by dropping lb.

I also think they should do an all out track version of the 3, stripped, CF roof, all the widgets on the screen (g meter, track layout/timer etc)
huge brakes, adjustable suspension etc.
Replacing the roof is likely to be a big no-no. My understanding is it provides a lot of structural stiffness, even more than metal roofs usually do.

I talked to a tech from Fremont (that was in town training the staff at a Service Center) that said the early cracked roof panels were because they hadn't made them strong enough, that the vehicle trying to flex was causing that. So they went back and made the roof glass stronger. The stiffness of the body is part of why it handles the way it does.

Replacing the roof is likely to be a big no-no. My understanding is it provides a lot of structural stiffness, even more than metal roofs usually do.

I talked to a tech from Fremont (that was in town training the staff at a Service Center) that said the early cracked roof panels were because they hadn't made them strong enough, that the vehicle trying to flex was causing that. So they went back and made the roof glass stronger. The stiffness of the body is part of why it handles the way it does.

Carbon fiber would be as stiff (or better) and lighter though

What conditions aren't they working for you in?

The other day I was annoyed by them for the first time in months. Then I realized they weren't running because I'd turned of the wipers when I was cleaning the bugs off and I didn't want them to turn on when I was scrubbing it. :)
They never work fast enough for the amount of rain on the windshield. It is like 2 steps below where it should be. I have to choose manual setting to clear the rain after I get tired of pressing the button.