Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla SSD coming February 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed this recently added to the Tesla Shop

I thought the consensus was to use a SD card because they can handle write cycles better as well as extreme temperatures?

Reactions: Eto Demerzel
SSD or video camera grade SD card over thumb drive always; SSD is like the drive in a modern laptop or decent spec PC. Tesla claiming automotive grade I guess is better, mostly perhaps for a hot cabin when overheat protection is off?

Tesla branded has to be $$$ for sure

Reactions: pikeman
I started doing the transition to SSDs on my PCs and laptops over 8 years ago but wasn't aware they could handle automotive use in the long term. I did a lot of research on this before I went to pick up my M3LR this year and was steered away from SSD because most of them wouldn't handle the temp extremes. So I ended up going Samsung Endurance Pro micro SD.

I have a few Western Digital SSD's (the ones you connect via USB) still in their packaging. Had I known they can all handle automotive use, I would have used that.

Tesla 1TB is $350 on their shop site.

SSDs typically aren't rated for as wide a range of temps as USB sticks and SDcards are (though some can be)... they also draw significantly more power (though the ports on the car have plenty enough available for any of them).

Also, the price on this one- which 100% for sure is someone elses drive rebranded, is insanely high....Will be curious when someone finally gets one and removes to case to see whose drive, of what model, is really in there.

About the only thing you're getting for like 3x-4x the price of non-tesla-branded drives is if it comes pre-formatted so the non-tech folks don't have to figure out how to make multiple partitions on the drive to handle dashcam plus music plus games.

That said- I suppose one possible bright side is maybe they will update their own "format your sentry drive" feature to ONLY format the sentry partition instead of nuking the whole drive as it used to last time I checked.... extra-funny if they don't though and people who waste $350 on this thing lose all their data first time they sentry-format in the car.

I thought the consensus was to use a SD card because they can handle write cycles better as well as extreme temperatures?
Don't bother. Buy a Samsung for currently at BestBuy for $100.

I suppose you can design and warranty one for continuous use. But value proposition likely would not be there vs just getting a high endurance SD card. I think the mounting position probably is the more interesting thing. Someone did complain in a thread about their SSD disconnecting in a crash, I wonder if this official one has a mounting method that is more secure.

I suppose you can design and warranty one for continuous use. But value proposition likely would not be there vs just getting a high endurance SD card. I think the mounting position probably is the more interesting thing. Someone did complain in a thread about their SSD disconnecting in a crash, I wonder if this official one has a mounting method that is more secure.
Yeah it could fall out unless you buy one of those Jeda USB extension gadgets

Interestingly noted on the product page that it includes a " USB-A–female to USB-C–male adapter cable." Wonder if this means that are looking at transitioning the port in the glove box to a USB-C port or if they are only including it hoping people will buy a "Tesla Branded SSD" to use for other devices with a USB-C port.

Interestingly noted on the product page that it includes a " USB-A–female to USB-C–male adapter cable." Wonder if this means that are looking at transitioning the port in the glove box to a USB-C port or if they are only including it hoping people will buy a "Tesla Branded SSD" to use for other devices with a USB-C port.
If you look at the pictures the SSD mounts directly to the top of the glovebox; it's probably got a flip-out USB-A (male) connector on it. The cable then interfaces with the drive to allow you to download data to a laptop or desktop that only has USB-C ports (otherwise you could just use the flip-out connector).

I guess I am confused. I understand the SSD stuff but our TESLA "stick" simply works and we haven't had an issue.....yet ;)

Same.

Some folks want an SSD because they think it's "better"- and for many applications it is, but this isn't generally one of them up till now unless you've got a really massive collection of music or want to save years of video clips (because north of the 256/512 GB range sticks and SDcards start getting expensive)

However, with steam coming to at least some cars, and some games taking north of 150-250 GB for a single game, a 1TB drive begins to make some sense

Reactions: ColoradoMike
I still don't get why people insist that one needs a high-end SD card? I used two 256 GB SanDisk Cruzer thumb drives (one for music and one for Sentry) for close to two years until I had to get more storage. Never once had a problem with either one. I firmly believe the supply chain you chose to get the drive from makes a huge difference: I got mine from Costco, whose supply chain I trust far more than ANYBODY on Amazon (even the manufacturers).

Reactions: Eugene Ash
I still don't get why people insist that one needs a high-end SD card? I used two 256 GB SanDisk Cruzer thumb drives (one for music and one for Sentry) for close to two years until I had to get more storage. Never once had a problem with either one. I firmly believe the supply chain you chose to get the drive from makes a huge difference: I got mine from Costco, whose supply chain I trust far more than ANYBODY on Amazon (even the manufacturers).
A high endurance microSD card doesn't cost whole lot more (for example a SanDisk high endurance microSD card is $28), is rated for far larger operating temperature ranges (-25C to +85C vs 0C to 45C), has rated minimum write speeds (so less likely to see the slow speed error that shows up for some USB sticks as the device ages), and is actually warrantied for continuous dashcam and security camera usage (last I checked, no other memory based storage devices are warrantied for this, not even SSDs).
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Endurance-microSDXC-Adapter-Monitoring/dp/B07P4HBRMV?th=1

It doesn't matter as much for music usage, but for dashcam usage it certainly makes a whole ton of sense. Other than providing larger possible max capacities, I think SSDs don't make as much sense.

If you look at the pictures the SSD mounts directly to the top of the glovebox; it's probably got a flip-out USB-A (male) connector on it. The cable then interfaces with the drive to allow you to download data to a laptop or desktop that only has USB-C ports (otherwise you could just use the flip-out connector).
Get one of these Amazon.com
Works just file $12.00
and if you need more ports get one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B6FCG5C7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$5.00

Don't know. Mine is 2019 M3SRP and the 2 USB-C ports are in the center under dash
Tesla removed data from those ports due parts shortage for my 2022. I did replace it with aftermarket module to re-enable data successfully. However, whatever the reason, it doesn't play nice with having TeslaCam and Music on two different Drives. I have to have it on a single drive with two partitions.

• Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4
A high endurance microSD card doesn't cost whole lot more (for example a SanDisk high endurance microSD card is $28)...

But it costs more than $28 since you also need an adaptor as well

And again, I will not buy any storage off of Amazon - too much of a crap shoot. I have read a lot on the USB issues here and I see a strong correlation between drive failure and those who bought off of Amazon.

YMMV