Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla St Leonards to close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a strong feeling not long ago that St Leonards was not long for this world. Well, today there is a notice for DA that the site is to be changed to a Reece showroom and sales center.
Typical that they don’t let us know that the North Shore service center is closing. I guess the supercharger will be removed as well.
not happy, Tesla!!!
For someone who was a mad fan, I am becoming progressively disillusioned with the company.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Agreed, it would be nice to know. Of course, they're not under any obligation to do so, and sending an email out to everyone would just be spam. Perhaps a page on the Tesla site? If I was going to look at it completely objectively, not sure St Leonards is the ideal location for them. I do hope they have something north of the bridge when it all settles down, though.

What - because they relocated their service centre? It's not like they suddenly have no presence in Sydney or anything.
No, this is just icing on the cake. Sydney is not Hobart. Big town. A service center in Alexandria is simply a pain in the butt for someone living on the North Shore. Pretty inconvenient and if you leave your car there, a pain to get home and to come and collect later. They limited my charging speed without telling me - not even in the update notes. REAL sneaky that was. For just a freak single fire in Hong Kong (ostensibly?) More likely to discourage me using my free supercharging for life. They ceased updating the IQ 3 chip, even though there are lots more features that could be unlocked. OK, they were bought out by Intel, but they could have continued and got a licenced from them. Lots of other minor irritations as well. However, I still love my car and not found a compelling reason to “upgrade” my car.

Last edited:
It's kind of sad.
I was sitting in the lobby of St Leonards for about 2 hours yesterday afternoon waiting for my MCU firmware to be flashed.
In that short time I saw maybe half a dozen would-be customers come in to ask about Model 3 and get shown the door pretty tactlessly by a service guy.
There is nothing to indicate it's no longer a retail presence, and they are turning customers away left, right and centre. Terrible waste.
I don't think Tesla Aus is being particularly well governed.

Nothing on the North Side? Not a great look.
I'm ever hopeful that there will be superchargers intalled all over Sydney in the near future.
With the influx of Model 3s there is going to be a lot of demand, and we really do need superchargers in strategic locations for people leaving/approaching/bypassing Sydney.
It's funny, but a partnership with Bunnings would align well with useful locations:
- Artarmon (replace St Leonards, new lower north shore M3 apartment owners)
- Belrose (covers Northern Beaches)
- Thornleigh (covers Northbound commuters)
- Crossroads near Liverpool (southwest commuters, Sydney bypassers)
- Seven Hills (covers Northwest commuters, M2, Windsor, Sydney bypassers to West)

How big was St Leonards?
Can they park cars their for high volume deliveries?
Brisbane is well set up in that they can park at least 100 cars underground.
I agree Tesla needs a presence on the North Side, but perhaps they need a slightly larger footprint further north.
All property on the North Side is expensive...
I've never been to St Leonards, so I am just trying to see if there is any logic behind the decision...

How big was St Leonards?
Can they park cars their for high volume deliveries?
Brisbane is well set up in that they can park at least 100 cars underground.
I agree Tesla needs a presence on the North Side, but perhaps they need a slightly larger footprint further north.
All property on the North Side is expensive...
I've never been to St Leonards, so I am just trying to see if there is any logic behind the decision...
St Leonards can store about 20-30 cars, with about 6 in the workshop.
6 Superchargers and parking for another 4 cars or so.

St Leonards can store about 20-30 cars, with about 6 in the workshop.
6 Superchargers and parking for another 4 cars or so.

In that case they may be looking for a bigger site where they can do deliveries, as about 50 cars per day seems to be typical and with cars parked for service I'm not surprised they could not do Model 3 deliveries there.

I hope that is what they are doing.

Nothing on the North Side? Not a great look.
I'll also add, if I suddenly need to supercharge before an unplanned trip Northbound it is completely untenable to have to drive down to Broadway to top up.
I'm currently 15 min North of St Leonards, but 45 min North of Broadway. Have elderly family up North who might need urgent help any time.

1 SC in the whole of Sydney, in a cramped underground car park in the middle of the city at that. They need at least another 2 or 3 (Sydney North, Sydney South, Sydney West near the motorways for travellers). Expecting someone doing say Canberra to Brisbane/Newcastle to have to hit Broadway or St Leonards for their charge is stupid.

Reactions: MC3OZ
I don't think Tesla Aus is being particularly well governed.

You're right! My X was at Alexandria yesterday, so to kill some time, I went with my 11yo son in the city and visited the Martin Pl store, so he could play BBR2.
There were 3 staff members there and apart from the occasional quick chat with some people who walked in, they hung around the desks at the back on laptops, from my eyes, they seemed pretty disinterested in helping anyone.
A father with a couple of boys came in and were looking at the X, I honestly don't even remember the staff approaching them, so I showed them how to bring up the games, the kids loved it, and the father thanked me.
The staff need be be more enthusiastic in showing these awesome cars to the uninformed general public and FFS I wish they'd get a RHD Model 3 in the showroom!