Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla St Leonards to close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would there not be a DA with Willoughby council if the service centre was being move somewhere in St Leonards / Lower north shore? I have trawled through there and have not found anything.

It may be that they are still getting organised. If they knew where they were going I would have expected it to be announced in the email about the closure. Organisation doesn’t seem to be a Tesla strength at the present.

• Funny
Reactions: ICUDoc
Would there not be a DA with Willoughby council if the service centre was being move somewhere in St Leonards / Lower north shore? I have trawled through there and have not found anything.

then likely it may be in the next council area - Ryde or lane cove council areas maybe? covers north ryde, epping,.. i'm suspecting superchargers will be near M2, gore freeway epping road, main road - separate to the SC

Not sure what's the best search key word that could work on these platforms

https://eservices.ryde.nsw.gov.au/T...h.aspx?r=COR.P1.WEBGUEST&f=COR.ETR.SEARCH.ENQ

Lane Cove A7.1 ** Live **

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Chuq
My thoughts on the substantive issues in this thread.

1. We know from the email they are opening another service centre in Sydney. For those who question the need, I understand some places don't have one yet, so why should Sydney have 2? Because Sydney has more money, people and sales. They are struggling to cope with deliveries and service simultaneously. They admitted as much a couple of months back when they cancelled a service appointment on me. One service centre would be commercial suicide for them. However disorganised they are, they aren't stupid.

2. Currently we only know it will be northside somewhere. None of us will get a vote (fortunately) because it looks like Willoughby has a lot of support. That would be a terrible idea. The most sensible place would probably be Hornsby (to support the main northern traffic routes) but it's unlikely to go there as people would flip out (Hornsby would be awful for me too). The location has to support people from a wide geographic area, not just local customers. It needs to be much closer to the train line than Willoughby because some people need to get to other places when they drop their car off, and public transport options are necessary. If they aren't close to transport, they'll have to run a shuttle service. So a location in St Leonards, or maybe Artarmon within walking distance to the station are the most likely.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
I've been think about it and I'm sure it will be somewhere in Artarmon, maybe closer the Pacific Highway.
There's not much suitable further north, options would be:
- Chatswood West (no public transport)
- Hornsby (too far from most customers)
- Thornleigh (ditto)
Or they could go central/west:
- Macquarie Park (maybe, but very congested)
- Baulkham Hills (bit far out)

Really I think it will depend on the aggregate of owners' addresses. We might be surprised about the number of owners in the Hills District for example, but I suspect lower/upper North Shore is the centre of gravity.

Reactions: tessiestraya
I've been think about it and I'm sure it will be somewhere in Artarmon, maybe closer the Pacific Highway.
There's not much suitable further north, options would be:
- Chatswood West (no public transport)
- Hornsby (too far from most customers)
- Thornleigh (ditto)
Or they could go central/west:
- Macquarie Park (maybe, but very congested)
- Baulkham Hills (bit far out)

Really I think it will depend on the aggregate of owners' addresses. We might be surprised about the number of owners in the Hills District for example, but I suspect lower/upper North Shore is the centre of gravity.
Not really, Tesla readily give this information out on their carbon impact site.
Carbon Impact | Tesla Australia

Tesla gives out the amount of CO2 saved by Tesla owners and gives an idea or where the most Tesla's are. Its not exact but it gives a reasonable estimate.

Now we have our data, so I put it into a spreadsheet.
CleanShot 2019-12-27 at 15.01.45@2x.png

And from there I turned it into a map.
So lets see what we learned.

Firstly some observations.
CleanShot 2019-12-27 at 15.03.29@2x.png
Teslas are far more popular in Sydney than in Melbourne, which I found interesting considering Tesla already has a larger supercharger already built up around Melbourne compared to Sydney?

And now the map of Tesla's around Sydney.
CleanShot 2019-12-27 at 15.05.44@2x.png

Last edited:
Not really, Tesla readily give this information out on their carbon impact site.
Carbon Impact | Tesla Australia

Tesla gives out the amount of CO2 saved by Tesla owners and gives an idea or where the most Tesla's are. Its not exact but it gives a reasonable estimate.
I couldn't find enough information in that table to make any kind of guess.
Many large suburbs are missing (?Artarmon, ?Willoughby), some suburbs seem peculiarly over-represented (eg. Auburn seems to have more Teslas than Mosman).
There could be large clusters of small suburbs not mentioned, because they are "gerrymandered" off the end of the list etc etc.

Many large suburbs are missing (?Artarmon, ?Willoughby), some suburbs seem peculiarly over-represented (eg. Auburn seems to have more Teslas than Mosman).
There could be large clusters of small suburbs not mentioned, because they are "gerrymandered" off the end of the list etc etc.
I've added a map of the data in Sydney, its the best I can do for now, when I get some more time I'll use Tesla and registration data to create a more defined map.

However I still believe Tesla will use this data, since its not just where Tesla's are registered at or based at, its where they drive through which is obviously the main goal of the Supercharger, to be used when out and about. So I still believe the data still stands, unfortunately, since its only the Top 50, the smaller suburbs do get squashed still.

@tessiestraya just noticed you're in Melbourne. I've attached a photo of each suburb. I will say, the food is better in Auburn.
3d480915810bb609eb395de85e6a998d.jpg
HY59TH.jpg

I've added a map of the data in Sydney, its the best I can do for now, when I get some more time I'll use Tesla and registration data to create a more defined map.

However I still believe Tesla will use this data, since its not just where Tesla's are registered at or based at, its where they drive through which is obviously the main goal of the Supercharger, to be used when out and about. So I still believe the data still stands, unfortunately, since its only the Top 50, the smaller suburbs do get squashed still.
I must say it's a pretty impressive map. When I first read your post the images didn't download, so I misjudged you!

I must say it's a pretty impressive map. When I first read your post the images didn't download, so I misjudged you!
Haha, all well and good.
It seems to match up pretty well based on locations I've heard of on this forum although there is still a few major problems with the data and map.

• It is very bias to larger suburbs since Teslas drive longer in them
  • It doesnt show hotspots very well in the map
I'm working out how I'm going to redo the map and try to reduce the bias in them, since I want a map that can really give some better information about possible locations.

Haha, all well and good.
It seems to match up pretty well based on locations I've heard of on this forum although there is still a few major problems with the data and map.

• It is very bias to larger suburbs since Teslas drive longer in them
  • It doesnt show hotspots very well in the map
I'm working out how I'm going to redo the map and try to reduce the bias in them, since I want a map that can really give some better information about possible locations.
Yes I was thinking that specifically with Armadale, a large country town. There is probably only a handful of Teslas but they do 60,000km/yr at highway speeds.

They spent a small fortune fitting Herbert street out. I watched the process carefully 5 years ago. They put in their own substation. My cousin made their huge signs. The place was an auto dealership when they took it over. I have to say i really dont understand the thinking behind this latest move. Rents were probably astronomical but they would be just about anywhere in the vicinity - St Leonards, Artarmon or even Waverton. Or even Mosman. How much cheaper might they be in Hornsby? No idea, but not a lot for a hell of a lot more inconvenience.

Yes I was thinking that specifically with Armadale, a large country town. There is probably only a handful of Teslas but they do 60,000km/yr at highway speeds.
Yeah, I guess aligning it up with registration data would help with that.
Heres the map link by the way.
Tesla's Across Australia - Google My Maps

Then again if Tesla is going to include a Supercharger with the Service Center, it would likely be in a high traffic area for Teslas as well as somewhere were many of them go. I'll see if I can collate NSW registration data.

They spent a small fortune fitting Herbert street out. I watched the process carefully 5 years ago. They put in their own substation. My cousin made their huge signs. The place was an auto dealership when they took it over. I have to say i really dont understand the thinking behind this latest move. Rents were probably astronomical but they would be just about anywhere in the vicinity - St Leonards, Artarmon or even Waverton. Or even Mosman. How much cheaper might they be in Hornsby? No idea, but not a lot for a hell of a lot more inconvenience.
Sort of agree with you, a lot of sunk costs they are writing off. Although, I think they need a substation for all supercharger sites.
If they go somewhere really ordinary they might save a fortune though. Like around Frenchs Forest just south of Northern Beaches Hospital. Some of those industrial sites would cost a fraction of the St Leonards site.

Sort of agree with you, a lot of sunk costs they are writing off. Although, I think they need a substation for all supercharger sites.
If they go somewhere really ordinary they might save a fortune though. Like around Frenchs Forest just south of Northern Beaches Hospital. Some of those industrial sites would cost a fraction of the St Leonards site.
Not very central there, though.

Yeah, I guess aligning it up with registration data would help with that.
Heres the map link by the way.
Tesla's Across Australia - Google My Maps

Then again if Tesla is going to include a Supercharger with the Service Center, it would likely be in a high traffic area for Teslas as well as somewhere were many of them go. I'll see if I can collate NSW registration data.
So, No Tesla's in Newcastle?. I think your data must be way!! out of date.

Reactions: Hairyman