Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla staff have an all hands meeting (1st Oct).. Model Y about to go on sale?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeSymonds

Mar 16, 2018
UK
There's plenty of speculation of when the Model Y will arrive in the UK. So what do we know?

MIC Model Y are now being delivered to Europe.
RHD Model Y are being made but for other countries
Europe had some excess M3 stock at the end of the quarter based on new inventory listings
UK was sold out weeks ago and even Q4 delivery may be a challenge
China production is going well.

Putting those things together and we have more demand than other countries, and are unusual in being a mature Tesla market that can't even order one at the moment. If Tesla have the ability to pull leavers on production mix, would they not send more capacity to the UK and sell the Model Y.

Lets hope tonights meetings in all the sales/service centres is to tell them that and in the next day or so so you can order the MY in the UK.

It's a good time for them to open orders and push China further or we'll be waiting another year for Berlin to ramp up and then produce RHD.

My order is on hold until the 6th Oct, despite being ready it got held again, I think something is going on...

Why would the SCs be kept in the loop with Model Y availability? They aren't involved in sales, unlike regular dealers.

I suspect that as is usually the case with all things Tesla is that the SCs will find out the same time we do that Tesla HQ have made it available to buy on the website.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Have we any historical behaviour to call on here? Did the M3 go live for sales out of hours say like 0300 or 0800 on a Monday?

I should imagine that any opening of the books for orders would see a load on their servers and systems so would naturally want support staff on hand if there were any issues? How was the Y launched in other countries?

I really don’t want to be clicking on refresh every 5 mins :)

Have we any historical behaviour to call on here? Did the M3 go live for sales out of hours say like 0300 or 0800 on a Monday?
They went live (iirc 10am) on 1-May 2019 whatever day that was.

There were comments in the press leading up to the configurator opening and I think something from Tesla so it wasn’t a surprise although I was already a reservation holder so may have got early warning from Tesla as part of that. There were certainly many of us in the same boat. I think they exceeded 1000 orders that day and within several weeks there were enough orders to span several months of deliveries - no rhyme or reason to who got their orders when. I was around order 100, a reservation holder and waited 5 months for ours. Whilst some new to Tesla, later orders with no reservation got their cars within 3-4 months. It very much came down to spec of car - some options and colour combinations seemed to cause a big delay. During that time, models came and went too. LR was unavailable for what felt like several months - replaced by the base performance model (stealth) with no performance upgrade pack - then an option.

Last edited:

I should imagine that any opening of the books for orders would see a load on their servers and systems so would naturally want support staff on hand if there were any issues? How was the Y launched in other countries?

I really don’t want to be clicking on refresh every 5 mins :)
I believe the M3 went on sale at 08:00 on 1st May 2019 because I ordered mine at 08:30 !

A friend of mine in Switzerland knows a man in the pub who's brothers daughters best friend works at Tesla and they were all briefed about Model Y deliveries just as things started getting interesting, he actually text me at the time. While they don't employ traditional sales people, they do employ people to answer sales related questions.

I imagine the website changes at some logical point, either when the tech guy turns up and told to do it at the satart of a day so they can manage performance issues and bugs, and that could be Fremont time or Dutch time (as Europe seems to be run from Holland).

Status
Not open for further replies.