Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla starts giving back Supercharger access to salvaged vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious what were the hacks and if that works, why not just keep it that way?
the usual, root, SC/CCS retrofit enabled, diag/dev modes access, tesla/updates disabled
i was told to stay away from V3 SCs, cause they can lock DC charging forever (based on some reports by wk057)
not sure how much of that is true but i don't wanna take that risk
V2, V1 are ok with me but they're sparse n not good for travel...
plus, when i decide to sell the car, its a better value to have it fully functional officially

I had an appointment to get the necessary inspections to be able to have my Salvage Title Model 3 to be able to go back on the Superchargers. I had the HV test last April and passed, but they stopped supporting my vehicle in May. Yesterday, they inspected my vehicle and did a “Busbar Charge Port Fast Charging Safety Inspection” My vehicle passed and I am now supported for Fast Charging. I will go to the Supercharger in the morning and I will only report back if there is a problem. I am attaching the first page of my invoice. I was charged $324.00 for the above test. 0C151CFC-F90D-412A-AFC7-3A741036642A.jpeg I kept my cool and I felt that the Service Manager, Mario Valdez, really wanted to see me get approval for Supercharging again. Good Luck. It does work. JollyBadger

some people one less thing to hate Tesla for:
It is a pretty big item on the list of Tesla turns into Apple and no, unfortunately nothing changes as this seems to be for Model 3 only, which has paid Supercharger, but Model S are no. And to make matters worse - not only Supercharger, but also 3rd party fast chargers. There is no way how you can justify this d...move, no matter the fanboynes

It is a pretty big item on the list of Tesla turns into Apple and no, unfortunately nothing changes as this seems to be for Model 3 only, which has paid Supercharger, but Model S are no. And to make matters worse - not only Supercharger, but also 3rd party fast chargers. There is no way how you can justify this d...move, no matter the fanboynes
We have seen reports of people with a Model S going through the new process and getting Supercharging re-enabled, even including their free unlimited Supercharging. So it isn't limited to Model 3.

Show me one

Here you go:
I had SC reinstated on my rebuilt title car. Free unlimited too. Inspection was $156 (I had the $6-700ish HV safety inspection done previously).
And they clarify that it was on a 2014 Model S 85:
My quote had both passed and failed, and the final invoice had only the passed line item. Mine has Gen 2 charging (2014 S85) so maybe that is why its a tad cheaper than the invoice quoted here? Hourly rate was the same at this SC ($195/hr)

Hey guys, so Tesla held my car for 3 weeks because they had "an influx of inspections" and it was over the holidays (thankfully they gave me a loaner Model 3 after a week)...then I got lazy and then I forgot to report back. Good news though: I now have supercharging!

In the end, they went back on me and decided that I did need the Busbar and Harness fast charging inspections. :rolleyes: I'm cutting them slack because of how new this inspection is and it's also a brand new mobile center, but still an annoying roller coaster. I am guessing the difference is because mine is a 2021 Model 3, whereas earlier M3s didn't need the Harness inspection.

They also replaced some parts. Unfortunately they did not explain to me in detail what was wrong, all I have is this invoice (see screenshots) from which I can decipher some things like "Ski", "Center Rail", "HIGH VOLTAGE HARNESS", "FRNT SKID PLATE", etc. For the record, the stated reason why my car was salvaged is "Undercarriage damage". I don't know why the HV harness had to be replaced though. Anyway, it came out to be $2200 altogether. I'm sad it cost so much, but oh well. I'm happy with my car.

Attachments

• tesla_screenshot3.png
    tesla_screenshot3.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 93
  • tesla_screenshot2.png
    tesla_screenshot2.png
    237.4 KB · Views: 80
  • tesla_screenshot1.png
    tesla_screenshot1.png
    192.6 KB · Views: 82
Hey,
What is the process for getting this test.
Do I book service appointment for Battery-Other?
And then bring car with low battery % to the service and leave for a day?
Is there anything else?
Thanks! :)
I did "Other - Something Else" and explained in the description that I wanted a fast charging safety inspection. Don't worry about the battery percentage. They told me it would be 24 hours, but it ended up being 3 weeks because they had a lot of inspections come in at once (or so they said).

Reactions: brainhouston
I did "Other - Something Else" and explained in the description that I wanted a fast charging safety inspection. Don't worry about the battery percentage. They told me it would be 24 hours, but it ended up being 3 weeks because they had a lot of inspections come in at once (or so they said).
Oh 3 weeks? That will not be an option for me, because closest centre here is 500+km away (I am from Vilnius and closest one is in Warsaw). So my plan was to go there for a couple of days, leave car, do some sightseeing and go back. So cant do 3 weeks of waiting :D
But will check with them, thanks.

The invoice you shared only shows busbar inspection... Was there an additional invoice for the harness inspection?
Oh gosh...you're completely right...what a nightmare. They totally added the harness inspection back (see screenshot), but I guess they removed it - a second time - in the end. I'm blind and thought the "Ski - Center Rail - HV Battery" entry was the second fast charge inspection, because that's exactly where it appeared on the previous invoice and the price was nearly the same. Looks like it was only the busbar fast charging inspection. My bad! And also Tesla's bad...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230207-081125_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230207-081125_Tesla.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Hey guys, so Tesla held my car for 3 weeks because they had "an influx of inspections" and it was over the holidays (thankfully they gave me a loaner Model 3 after a week)...then I got lazy and then I forgot to report back. Good news though: I now have supercharging!

In the end, they went back on me and decided that I did need the Busbar and Harness fast charging inspections. :rolleyes: I'm cutting them slack because of how new this inspection is and it's also a brand new mobile center, but still an annoying roller coaster. I am guessing the difference is because mine is a 2021 Model 3, whereas earlier M3s didn't need the Harness inspection.

They also replaced some parts. Unfortunately they did not explain to me in detail what was wrong, all I have is this invoice (see screenshots) from which I can decipher some things like "Ski", "Center Rail", "HIGH VOLTAGE HARNESS", "FRNT SKID PLATE", etc. For the record, the stated reason why my car was salvaged is "Undercarriage damage". I don't know why the HV harness had to be replaced though. Anyway, it came out to be $2200 altogether. I'm sad it cost so much, but oh well. I'm happy with my car.
Yeah so for anyone reading this, scratch that whole second paragraph. Only the busbar inspection was needed for fast charging. I got confused between the 4 different invoices Tesla sent me.

High Voltage inspection and fast charging safety inspection $924 quote in San Diego. Haven’t pulled trigger yet and still doing the workaround trick to enable SC temporarily when I need it since I charge at home 99% of the time. May get it though in the future. Hoping cost will go down but it is getting more reasonable. Anyone have better quotes?

Attachments

• Open tesla_invoice746391b6-6fff-4f99-aee1-52b7d8e74207.png
    Open tesla_invoice746391b6-6fff-4f99-aee1-52b7d8e74207.png
    148.6 KB · Views: 95
High Voltage inspection and fast charging safety inspection $924 quote in San Diego. Haven’t pulled trigger yet and still doing the workaround trick to enable SC temporarily when I need it since I charge at home 99% of the time. May get it though in the future. Hoping cost will go down but it is getting more reasonable. Anyone have better quotes?
$924 for an inspection? 😂

Warning! Visually Inspect under your own vehicle for scrapes and dings on your battery pack before you take it in for this process. You will fail if anything is scraped or dinged, so no reason to pay if you’re going to fail even if everything checks out on the electric path side of the house

Took my salvaged 2018 Model S into the Jacksonville, FL Service Center. Quoted $601.85 for the Salvage Title HV Safety Inspection and $175.75 for the Fast Charging Inspection/Reinstatement. After the first day they told me to pass the HV inspection I would have to replace the battery heater ($722 parts and labor) and Charge Inlet HV Harness ($500 parts & labor). I approved those repairs. They completed them today and just now informed me that (after replacing the parts) they moved on to step 2 of the inspection and found scrapes during the visual inspection. I will now have to replace the entire battery to pass the inspection.

Car works and chargers great already on CCS1 at Electrify America (I put the European CCS hardware on last October). so I have no intention of replacing the battery. I just wanted everyone to go into this with their eyes wide open. Wish I had just gone under and looked for any damage prior to setting all this up and paying for repairs I didn’t really need only to still fail the inspection and not get Superchaging back. I honestly can’t fault Tesla after seeing the pictures, I just wish they had started with the visual inspection first. DM me if you’re interested in the process for getting the European CCS hardware installed and configured

Attachments

• 231F86B9-61B8-4FEB-953E-DF7873FC54CA.jpeg
    231F86B9-61B8-4FEB-953E-DF7873FC54CA.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 7587D9E1-A1CC-48F7-84ED-AC1F266AD2BB.jpeg
    7587D9E1-A1CC-48F7-84ED-AC1F266AD2BB.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 35529E4B-C4CC-4532-B3A3-DFB9D0CB22A3.jpeg
    35529E4B-C4CC-4532-B3A3-DFB9D0CB22A3.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 99