Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla states 19" OEM wheels NOT compatible with P3D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did it ever actually test it out ? Because I believe you would answer a lot of questions here for a lot of people, including myself

Other than the minor test I did in Sept, I have not. Once the weather turns I’ll have my snow tires mounted and balanced on the OEM 19” wheels and test them out. From what I saw last month, I don’t think it’ll be a problem (or at least I am hoping/praying :D). I’ll be sure to provide an update once everything is on and squared away, probably around/shortly after Halloween.

Other than the minor test I did in Sept, I have not. Once the weather turns I’ll have my snow tires mounted and balanced on the OEM 19” wheels and test them out. From what I saw last month, I don’t think it’ll be a problem (or at least I am hoping/praying :D). I’ll be sure to provide an update once everything is on and squared away, probably around/shortly after Halloween.

My P3D+ is ready on the 23rd, so I might beat you to testing. I'll update when I find out too

Good news, everyone! The 19” OEM wheels that I purchased from a forum member (the “other forum”) seem to work just fine. The weather finally got to the point where mounting snow tires made sense, so I had it done tonight at a local Discount Tire. I haven’t put many miles on them yet, but I have driven at reasonably high speeds (~75mph) without any vibration/rattling that another member posted about ~month ago. If anyone remembers, the 19’s I bought appeared to have the bevelling to accommodate the PUP hub lip. Maybe at some point Tesla began machining the lip for all 19” wheels, but the memo never got passed around/was lost in the chaos. I wouldn’t completely discount the OEM wheels, but make sure they have the correct

On another, somewhat related topic, the road noise is certainly louder with Nokian R3s compared to the stock summers; I am hoping as the weather gets colder and the tires wear a bit the noise will get better, but the OEM sound dampening foam may be missed...

Apologies for the quick, and not very thought out, message. I wanted to get my experience out quick while the weather starts to turn. Maybe more folks will be able to buy OEM.

If anyone wants any pics/measurements, I’ll see what I can do.

Good news, everyone! The 19” OEM wheels that I purchased from a forum member (the “other forum”) seem to work just fine. The weather finally got to the point where mounting snow tires made sense, so I had it done tonight at a local Discount Tire. I haven’t put many miles on them yet, but I have driven at reasonably high speeds (~75mph) without any vibration/rattling that another member posted about ~month ago. If anyone remembers, the 19’s I bought appeared to have the bevelling to accommodate the PUP hub lip. Maybe at some point Tesla began machining the lip for all 19” wheels, but the memo never got passed around/was lost in the chaos. I wouldn’t completely discount the OEM wheels, but make sure they have the correct

On another, somewhat related topic, the road noise is certainly louder with Nokian R3s compared to the stock summers; I am hoping as the weather gets colder and the tires wear a bit the noise will get better, but the OEM sound dampening foam may be missed...

Apologies for the quick, and not very thought out, message. I wanted to get my experience out quick while the weather starts to turn. Maybe more folks will be able to buy OEM.

looks like you beat me to it. I might throw some more mileage friendly tires on there to improve the range, but I've been to busy to even look as of now. Thanks for the update and it verifies what I found out about a week ago.

Sorry to bother. I bought the 19inch wheel winter package from the Tesla website shop before they put the disclaimer about non comparability with the Performance Model 3. I had the wheels fitted earlier this week since I am making a winter road trip this weekend. I have been driving the car just fine the last day or two (city driving). The installers (Tesla used a third party) did not say anything about issues either. Are the wheels you installed the same ones they sell on the Tesla website?? I am worried now - about to make a big roadtrip - about damaging my car with these wheels on??

Sorry to bother. I bought the 19inch wheel winter package from the Tesla website shop before they put the disclaimer about non comparability with the Performance Model 3. I had the wheels fitted earlier this week since I am making a winter road trip this weekend. I have been driving the car just fine the last day or two (city driving). The installers (Tesla used a third party) did not say anything about issues either. Are the wheels you installed the same ones they sell on the Tesla website?? I am worried now - about to make a big roadtrip - about damaging my car with these wheels on??

Just because they came from the Tesla website doesn't mean they are the same. They have modified the wheels that they are selling to include the proper counterbore to fit over the lip on the Performance 3.

The safest thing for you to do is remove one wheel and inspect both the inside of the wheel hub (look for the counterbore)

20181001_140800-jpg.15462

Just because they came from the Tesla website doesn't mean they are the same. They have modified the wheels that they are selling to include the proper counterbore to fit over the lip on the Performance 3.

The safest thing for you to do is remove one wheel and inspect both the inside of the wheel hub (look for the counterbore)

20181001_140800-jpg.15462
I am not a mechanic or car guy (other than loving driving my Tesla!) so forgive any dumb questions:

- when you say they have modified the wheels they are selling How do you mean? The Tesla shop says as I log onto it today still says the 19inch winter wheel package is not compatible with the Performance model. The package looks exactly the same as the one I ordered earlier this year (around August)
- what is a counterbore? Not sure what I should be looking for

Thanks!

- when you say they have modified the wheels they are selling How do you mean? The Tesla shop says as I log onto it today still says the 19inch winter wheel package is not compatible with the Performance model. The package looks exactly the same as the one I ordered earlier this year (around August)

The modification they would need to make for these to fit is the counterbore and its a very minor detail, so the wheels will look pretty much the same. The Performance car has a small lip on the brake hub that interferes with the wheel. A counterbore is basically a slightly wider hole on top of another hole, see the photo below for example.

upload_2018-11-15_11-35-58.png

upload_2018-11-15_11-37-45.png

Thanks very much. I am going to drive to my Tesla SC tomorrow to get these 19” wheels removed. Am I damaging my car driving around with them on??? Thanks!

If they don't have that counterbore, YES you could be damaging the car - but you would almost certainly hear a rattling/very bad noise coming from your wheels when you drive if this was the case.

I am not a mechanic or car guy (other than loving driving my Tesla!) so forgive any dumb questions:

Thanks!

I bought my OEM 19 wheels private party from a member of another forum. My understanding is/was that they purchased the $1,500 wheel upgrade, then decided to go aftermarket.

In the pics I have attached, you can see a slight “step” (the counterbore) around the center hole of both the 19” bought privately and on the 20” that came with the vehicle. This “step” allows the lip to fit inside, so that the wheel fits flush on the hub. There are plenty of pics of old 19” OEM wheels where the centerbore is not present, which is where a lot of confusion and speculation came from.

My guess is, Tesla had to accommodate the stock 20” wheels to fit the lip once the performance option went into production, and rather than having multiple wheels with different hub accommodations, they decided to start machining all of their 19” and 20” wheels with the “performance hub lip” centerbore. Adding more confusion to the mix, they probably had excess inventory, or bad internal information, of old 19” wheels that would not work with the hub lip, which prompted the “does not work with performance upgrade package” warning on Tesla’s website. Probably more likely though, whoever made the call to start machining all wheels going forward with the lip accommodation didn’t pass the word along/it got lost in the chaos that is Tesla at the moment. My guess is if 19” wheels are/were bought post performance version production, they’ll be fine.

I haven’t noticed any crazy rattling or vibrations that another forum member had when he had wheels without the correct lip accommodation installed, and I’ve pushed the vehicle pretty hard since installation to make sure they’re snug. I think you’re in the clear if your wheels have the centerbore.

Attachments

• 20DF9139-D5E4-4EDD-87E7-864E62B122DB.jpeg
    20DF9139-D5E4-4EDD-87E7-864E62B122DB.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 2EFBFBD7-CEB1-4A83-9A39-20AA534CEC37.jpeg
    2EFBFBD7-CEB1-4A83-9A39-20AA534CEC37.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 80
  • BDD75BC3-2310-4BCD-B779-334D3ECFFFE1.jpeg
    BDD75BC3-2310-4BCD-B779-334D3ECFFFE1.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
I bought my OEM 19 wheels private party from a member of another forum. My understanding is/was that they purchased the $1,500 wheel upgrade, then decided to go aftermarket.

In the pics I have attached, you can see a slight “step” (the counterbore) around the center hole of both the 19” bought privately and on the 20” that came with the vehicle. This “step” allows the lip to fit inside, so that the wheel fits flush on the hub. There are plenty of pics of old 19” OEM wheels where the centerbore is not present, which is where a lot of confusion and speculation came from.

My guess is, Tesla had to accommodate the stock 20” wheels to fit the lip once the performance option went into production, and rather than having multiple wheels with different hub accommodations, they decided to start machining all of their 19” and 20” wheels with the “performance hub lip” centerbore. Adding more confusion to the mix, they probably had excess inventory, or bad internal information, of old 19” wheels that would not work with the hub lip, which prompted the “does not work with performance upgrade package” warning on Tesla’s website. Probably more likely though, whoever made the call to start machining all wheels going forward with the lip accommodation didn’t pass the word along/it got lost in the chaos that is Tesla at the moment. My guess is if 19” wheels are/were bought post performance version production, they’ll be fine.

I haven’t noticed any crazy rattling or vibrations that another forum member had when he had wheels without the correct lip accommodation installed, and I’ve pushed the vehicle pretty hard since installation to make sure they’re snug. I think you’re in the clear if your wheels have the centerbore.
Ok thanks. Here is what the Vancouver Tesla SC told me on email so far: “
confirmed with parts department that the 19" winter tire set will not fit your performance Model 3 because the clearance between the rear caliper and rim is not large enough”. I am going to go in tomorrow to have them inspect it before I send the wheels back but does the centrebore fix the potential issue of clearance between the rear caliber and rim?? I would have thought that with the centerbore the wheel fits more snugly so the distance between the caliber and rim is smaller, not larger!!

Ok thanks. Here is what the Vancouver Tesla SC told me on email so far: “
confirmed with parts department that the 19" winter tire set will not fit your performance Model 3 because the clearance between the rear caliper and rim is not large enough”. I am going to go in tomorrow to have them inspect it before I send the wheels back but does the centrebore fix the potential issue of clearance between the rear caliber and rim?? I would have thought that with the centerbore the wheel fits more snugly so the distance between the caliber and rim is smaller, not larger!!

I’ll have to measure when I get home, but I can assure you the wheel clears the caliper just fine, or I am missing my rear calipers :D.

When I initially sent an email to service asking for clarification, they said the wheel spokes and caliper clearance wasn’t enough. At first I thought that maybe there is an overly conservative clearance tolerance they’re abiding by, so they can’t officially recommend the wheels, but after quickly measuring between the 20” and 19” caliper clearance, I didn’t see a difference; I think the wheels/spokes are exactly the same, only with the spokes being a half inch longer (at the top) on the 20”s. I could be wrong regarding that last part, but the 19” OEM wheels have been working fine. Maybe have Tesla service test mount a 19” when you are there and they can show you the issue, if there is one.

I’ll have to measure when I get home, but I can assure you the wheel clears the caliper just fine, or I am missing my rear calipers :D.

When I initially sent an email to service asking for clarification, they said the wheel spokes and caliper clearance wasn’t enough. At first I thought that maybe there is an overly conservative clearance tolerance they’re abiding by, so they can’t officially recommend the wheels, but after quickly measuring between the 20” and 19” caliper clearance, I didn’t see a difference; I think the wheels/spokes are exactly the same, only with the spokes being a half inch longer (at the top) on the 20”s. I could be wrong regarding that last part, but the 19” OEM wheels have been working fine. Maybe have Tesla service test mount a 19” when you are there and they can show you the issue, if there is one.

Ok many thanks Goosby. I will also let you know what I find out tomorrow

Is the only reason that 19" wheels aren't compatible with Performance+ cars and brakes because of the machining in the center hole?

As far as wheel to brake caliper clearance is concerned, do OEM 18 and 19 inch wheels clear the brakes?

Even with unmachined-for-P3D+ 19 inch wheels, a thin set of wheel spacers are all that is needed to solve this problem.

Is the only reason that 19" wheels aren't compatible with Performance+ cars and brakes because of the machining in the center hole?

As far as wheel to brake caliper clearance is concerned, do OEM 18 and 19 inch wheels clear the brakes?

Even with unmachined-for-P3D+ 19 inch wheels, a thin set of wheel spacers are all that is needed to solve this problem.

The 18" aero wheels definitely do not clear the brake caliper otherwise I'd be using those right now.