Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla states 19" OEM wheels NOT compatible with P3D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting a new thread to make the title more clear..

Tesla has updated their 19" winter wheel and tire package page to explicitly state that the it is not compatible with the Performance Upgrade.

Model 3 19" Sport Wheel and Winter Tire Package
"*This package is not compatible with Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with the Performance Upgrade – Contact your nearest Tesla Service Center for more details"

• Informative
Reactions: tambam
Starting a new thread to make the title more clear..

Tesla has updated their 19" winter wheel and tire package page to explicitly state that the it is not compatible with the Performance Upgrade.

Model 3 19" Sport Wheel and Winter Tire Package
"*This package is not compatible with Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with the Performance Upgrade – Contact your nearest Tesla Service Center for more details"

Bummer. FYI TSportline offers both 18" and 19" wheels (and wheel sets) that they say will work with the Performance Upgrade Package.

I think this could be due to the P3D+ brake upgrade. It seems the rotor hat is a bit thinner, causing an additional hub-lip to protrude out. The back of the 20" wheels have a special, additional bore larger than the protruding "double hublip" to accommodate.

I think P3D+ owners will need to either go for another set of 20" OEM Perf wheels with winter tires (lol), or work with aftermarket wheel companies who know about the issue and have CNC in-house to bore wheels specific to the P3D+ hub spec.

It sounds like TSportline is machining the wheels accordingly now (rather than including 'adapters' to make them work), can anyone confirm?

I think this could be due to the P3D+ brake upgrade. It seems the rotor hat is a bit thinner, causing an additional hub-lip to protrude out. The back of the 20" wheels have a special, additional bore larger than the protruding "double hublip" to accommodate.

I think P3D+ owners will need to either go for another set of 20" OEM Perf wheels with winter tires (lol), or work with aftermarket wheel companies who know about the issue and have CNC in-house to bore wheels specific to the P3D+ hub spec.

It sounds like TSportline is machining the wheels accordingly now (rather than including 'adapters' to make them work), can anyone confirm?

I am almost certain that is what they're doing. You can read this post for a lot of information, and I think a final resolution: T Sportline 19s on a P3D+ rattling like crazy

Reactions: tiltmode43
Thank you TST.... Honestly, this Performance Upgrade is a big communication disaster.

@patp,

Agreed. I bet there were people who ordered the 19” Sport Winter Tire Package and found out they DIDNT FIT. I came close but have tried for months tweeting Elon and trying to get an answer on compatibility: Crickets.
They JUST amended Tela Shop notes under the Tire section in bold about NON compatibility with PUO. I LOVE Tesla....haven’t taken delivery yet, have a date...nervous about delays....but right now they can’t get out of their own way.

Ski

@tiltmode43,

Confirmed. TST now has ‘dropdown’ Menus to account for the 3mm lip and PUO when you order.

Ski

Reactions: tiltmode43
I wouldn't call it a disaster, but boy do Tesla need a new customer services head to make sure this sort of stuff is sorted out before issues arise. I would say bring back Jerome, but he's kind of busy with a new role right now eh?

Hi all,

Apologies for not being able to respond earlier, it was a busy day yesterday driving back from SLC. So the bad news is the service center wasn’t able to get me in as a walk in appointment and lift the vehicle to test the 19” OEM wheel. However, I was able to lift the car at home and test it for myself and it looks like the 19” OEM wheel will fit just fine.*

I have attached some pictures for others to review, but it appears to sit flush against the hub and there wasn’t any issue with the brake caliper; I even went against my better judgement and manually rotated the wheel slightly to make sure it wouldn’t rub against the caliper/control arm. I remember reading in the manual the car/wheels shouldn’t roll without power while parked, but I figured to be thorough, and since it was a minimal amount of rotation, that the risk of damage was minimal (at most). As a note, I tested the 19” wheel on the front hub and the nuts were not torqued, especially down to spec, so if you notice a tiny gap in the picture, that is most likely why. Also, if the rear caliper is significantly different in size than the front caliper then maybe there will be a rubbing issue, but they look about the same to me.

One last thing, sorry for the awful angle of the wheel when fully mounted, the lighting was not being kind and it was the best I could do in the limited time I had. Also, in my excitement that the 19” fit, I completely forgot to measure the distance between caliper and wheel, or have something as a reference for ease of review.

*Although my 19” OEM wheel appears to fit to my novice eyes, someone with more experience on these forums may notice something I did not. Additionally, Tesla may be selling old 19” wheels (I recall seeing pictures of the old wheels without a 3mm lip accommodation) in their winter tire package; if you buy via Tesla or 3rd party, make sure your wheels have the lip accommodation.

Attachments

• B8B69562-B1B6-4CB7-B5DD-EBE2D42DB284.jpeg
    B8B69562-B1B6-4CB7-B5DD-EBE2D42DB284.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 1ABFC8E2-6723-4CE5-8858-E328EC0A76E6.jpeg
    1ABFC8E2-6723-4CE5-8858-E328EC0A76E6.jpeg
    274.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 6EB1F2CC-F6BF-446F-B520-3F08C67570DF.jpeg
    6EB1F2CC-F6BF-446F-B520-3F08C67570DF.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 26DCCC4F-0353-4793-B163-1E579BFEA9C5.jpeg
    26DCCC4F-0353-4793-B163-1E579BFEA9C5.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 76BDFE19-A56C-453A-9C16-E3F01123E5E2.jpeg
    76BDFE19-A56C-453A-9C16-E3F01123E5E2.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 74F38049-5F37-4579-896F-F45BC3370E21.jpeg
    74F38049-5F37-4579-896F-F45BC3370E21.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 203
Hi all,

Apologies for not being able to respond earlier, it was a busy day yesterday driving back from SLC. So the bad news is the service center wasn’t able to get me in as a walk in appointment and lift the vehicle to test the 19” OEM wheel. However, I was able to lift the car at home and test it for myself and it looks like the 19” OEM wheel will fit just fine.*

I have attached some pictures for others to review, but it appears to sit flush against the hub and there wasn’t any issue with the brake caliper; I even went against my better judgement and manually rotated the wheel slightly to make sure it wouldn’t rub against the caliper/control arm. I remember reading in the manual the car/wheels shouldn’t roll without power while parked, but I figured to be thorough, and since it was a minimal amount of rotation, that the risk of damage was minimal (at most). As a note, I tested the 19” wheel on the front hub and the nuts were not torqued, especially down to spec, so if you notice a tiny gap in the picture, that is most likely why. Also, if the rear caliper is significantly different in size than the front caliper then maybe there will be a rubbing issue, but they look about the same to me.

One last thing, sorry for the awful angle of the wheel when fully mounted, the lighting was not being kind and it was the best I could do in the limited time I had. Also, in my excitement that the 19” fit, I completely forgot to measure the distance between caliper and wheel, or have something as a reference for ease of review.

*Although my 19” OEM wheel appears to fit to my novice eyes, someone with more experience on these forums may notice something I did not. Additionally, Tesla may be selling old 19” wheels (I recall seeing pictures of the old wheels without a 3mm lip accommodation) in their winter tire package; if you buy via Tesla or 3rd party, make sure your wheels have the lip accommodation.
Did it ever actually test it out ? Because I believe you would answer a lot of questions here for a lot of people, including myself

Reactions: Carl_Drogo