Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla stations in NYC on verge of outnumbering gas stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if attitudes in the garages in manhattan have changed any but a year ago I was turned away by more than one garage because they were too full and couldn't be bothered to accommodate the tesla and opening up the charging position.

I don't know if attitudes in the garages in manhattan have changed any but a year ago I was turned away by more than one garage because they were too full and couldn't be bothered to accommodate the tesla and opening up the charging position.

I don't seem to have any issues, but I also haven't tried when it's super packed or busy (event, or Fri/Sat nights). Lately, I've even been plugging it in myself as soon as they clear the way.

All these charge stations in NYC garages have made day business trips really doable for me.

I agree, it's silly to compare gas stations to charging stations. One or two HPWC at one location are not the equivalent of a gas station with many pumps that can fill up a car in less than 5 minutes. There is also no point in having a HPWC at a hotel that only allows hotel guest to charge. That's not a public station that someone can use when they really need to.

While certainly good news it should be pointed out that gas stations have multiple pumps which are not being counted in the article so the comparison is not entirely fair.
I agree. Nissan also used the same "trick" few years ago that claims electric charging stalls (for Leaf) out-number gas stations in Japan. But hey, this is marketing. You never trust what the marketing guys say.

I agree charging at your work place is going to be the most important place to charge after home-charging.

I disagree. What is typical commute? 30 miles one way? 50 miles? Why would you want to charge after only driving 30 miles or 50 miles, if you start with an 80% charge everyday at home.

I agree for a city car like Leaf office charging is absolutely essential, but why for a 200+ mile car.

I drove leaf for 4 years and the first year I had a tough time getting back home with no charger at my office. I was about to give up on Leaf when they finally got around and installed a bank of chargers in my office parking lot. That changed everything. Soon in a few months there were half a dozen Leafs and then we even had to move our cars to accommodate.

And then a Tesla came and that cheap skate never charged at home, never even installed a charger and was hogging one charger at office all day every day. I spoke to him and tried to put some sense into him and wrote a blog in my internal forum on 'Chargjng etiquette'. Nothing went into his dense 'charging is free at office, why bother?' head.

Fast forward now - I have a Tesla and I don't bother charging at office. I use the multiple open LEV only parking.

Office charging is only needed for city low range EVs. But they all should get phased out of our roads soon.

We need more charging opportunities on the highways and city centers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused. You disagree that charging at work is important and then you tell me your story how you installed chargers at work and fixed your problem and many other Leaf owners were happy too. I'm glad you can afford a Tesla and have a garage at home to charge. That's not the majority of people, though. Many do not have a place at home to install a charger so their next best chance is charging at work. Many do not want to or cannot spend the money on a Tesla and are fine with a low range EV.

Reactions: JER
If the parking structure at offices had inductive charging in every spot (and the rate was at least decent), I think "parking spot shuffle" and "who gets to charge and when" discussions vanish into the background.