Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Stats App + TeslaFi - Better together?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first thread and based on hours of YouTube video's and other threads comparing the two services, but for what I am looking for I think that I need both apps to give me what I want.

I placed my order beginning of March for a Model 3 Performance so I can take advantage of the tax breaks, First Year Allowance being a big one, 0% BIK and also the fact I can save approx £250 per month in Fuel just driving to and from the office vs my 435D XDrive!

I received my collection date a couple of days ago and already have the obligatory accessories purchased waiting to fit, Detailer ready for ceramic coating, Window Tint appointment booked and de chrome / dash and console carbon wrap.

With that being sorted out and having a number of months waiting for the car (delayed by me twice due to being cautious of the effects of COVID on my business) I now need to make a decision. So, to the point of the thread...

Being in the business of Smart Home I am a massive geek. For me things like Siri integration, Apple Watch support, Widgets etc are a nice to have and are a good way to show off Tesla advanced features to friends whilst giving me ultimate convenience.

I see this really complimenting TeslaFi and the data side of things. TeslaFi gives me way more than I would use. I like the fact I can see where I have been, charging costs, battery degradation, charging options etc but has the monthly/annual commitment.

Is the combo of having/paying for both best for my use case? I think so but was hoping for some input from other people with experience rather than just watching more YouTube!

Thanks in advance.

Both useful. TeslaFi provides more data than I ordinarily care about, but once in a while it's proven very valuable. I bought Stats mainly for the Apple Watch app..

I use Teslamate on a pi for the data logging but did purchase stats for the Apple Watch watch (and initially used it for data logging).
I now mainly use Teslamate for the data logging and iOS shortcuts (Android has similar using Tasker) for the watch and phone integration.

The setup of both certainly leans a little more complicated. The former is a more complicated setup wise than a cloud based service like TeslaFi. The latter (watch and phone integration) also has it's challenges (like 45 day token expiry) but all in all I'm very happy with it.

More than one app using the Tesla API from your car can get messy regarding letting the car sleep

the only way your car will sleep is by being left alone for ~20 mins ( and with sentry mode, summon standby etc disabled)

two service polling the api every minute means the car won’t sleep unless they both happen to pause polling for the same 20 mins. You’ll have to set some time periods for both services to not contact the car, but then risk activity going unrecorded.

• Informative
Reactions: DS8819
I use Teslamate on a pi for the data logging but did purchase stats for the Apple Watch watch (and initially used it for data logging).
I now mainly use Teslamate for the data logging and iOS shortcuts (Android has similar using Tasker) for the watch and phone integration.

The setup of both certainly leans a little more complicated. The former is a more complicated setup wise than a cloud based service like TeslaFi. The latter (watch and phone integration) also has it's challenges (like 45 day token expiry) but all in all I'm very happy with it.

Not looked too much at Teslamate due to the additional complexity. Will take a look.

More than one app using the Tesla API from your car can get messy regarding letting the car sleep

the only way your car will sleep is by being left alone for ~20 mins ( and with sentry mode, summon standby etc disabled)

two service polling the api every minute means the car won’t sleep unless they both happen to pause polling for the same 20 mins. You’ll have to set some time periods for both services to not contact the car, but then risk activity going unrecorded.

Good point, this is a concern when I'm not at the office or home where I can keep the car on charge.

Do you have both and have got them to work where the car is still sleeping successfully?

I've had this as well, though with TeslaFi and a smart charger as opposed to the stats app.

As mentioned in other threads, it might be worth holding fire paying for any app that uses the Tesla API as a third party until this issue is resolved...

Apple rejects 3rd-party Tesla app update as it strictly enforces written consent for third-party API use [U] - 9to5Mac

Don’t use any 3dd party app - maybe with the exception of Teslamate on your own raspberry pi. Would you give your car keys to a bunch of strangers normally?

(If you only give them the token It’s still telling them where your car is that the cars unlocked)

I've had this as well, though with TeslaFi and a smart charger as opposed to the stats app.

As mentioned in other threads, it might be worth holding fire paying for any app that uses the Tesla API as a third party until this issue is resolved...

Apple rejects 3rd-party Tesla app update as it strictly enforces written consent for third-party API use [U] - 9to5Mac

I did see that, does this mean that if you already own the app you just won't get updates and the app will still work?

I guess no rush for the app perhaps but to catch all my journeys go for TeslaFi from Day 1 I can go with that.

Don’t use any 3dd party app - maybe with the exception of Teslamate on your own raspberry pi. Would you give your car keys to a bunch of strangers normally?

(If you only give them the token It’s still telling them where your car is that the cars unlocked)

My understanding is that there is a zero security risk, they don't store passwords/usernames, does their use of the connection between the app and car mean they can start it? Not heard of that before.

My understanding is that there is a zero security risk, they don't store passwords/usernames, does their use of the connection between the app and car mean they can start it? Not heard of that before.
It’s definitely not a zero risk. You only have their word they don’t store passwords and that they have a secure enough workflow that doesn’t accidentally retain it along the way in server logs etc, or that all admins are having a good day.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
I'm pretty sure they can issue any command available via the API.
Tesla Unofficial API
They can't complete a start command as it needs credentials for it to be valid. They can do quite a bit though...including unlocking, rolling down windows, flashing lights, honking horn, see where it is, charging level, etc. Pretty much everything you see in the link above.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
I did see that, does this mean that if you already own the app you just won't get updates and the app will still work?

I guess no rush for the app perhaps but to catch all my journeys go for TeslaFi from Day 1 I can go with that.

Sorry, if Apple strictly enforce the issue I don’t know how exactly that would affect existing users. I could only hazard a guess that it likely wouldn’t be positive.

Who told you that?

If you provide a token they can locate and open your car

To get a token you need your user name and password - if you given them that they may store it, they may not, or their systen has been compromised and someboidy esle gets it off the back of them.

And if anyone has your user name and password not only can they start you car, they can access your Tesla account online

We get security issues in life all the time with companies that spend billions on IT, these apps are often written by somebody in their bedroom

Who told you that?

If you provide a token they can locate and open your car

To get a token you need your user name and password - if you given them that they may store it, they may not, or their systen has been compromised and someboidy esle gets it off the back of them.

And if anyone has your user name and password not only can they start you car, they can access your Tesla account online

We get security issues in life all the time with companies that spend billions on IT, these apps are often written by somebody in their bedroom

This video is actually with the creator of the app and he said details are not stored. It's all I have to go off.

I'm not risk averse so not too worried about using the app, the post was more about getting the benefits of both services.

All great apps are evolve from the bedroom!

Don't believe that you need to spend billions to make a product more secure.

A well tested tech stack with up to date libraries, good deployment security resources and a decent amount of intelligence deployed on class leading servers does not require a lot of money.

Reactions: jager122