Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Stats App + TeslaFi - Better together?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All great apps are evolve from the bedroom!

Don't believe that you need to spend billions to make a product more secure.

A well tested tech stack with up to date libraries, good deployment security resources and a decent amount of intelligence deployed on class leading servers does not require a lot of money.

I dont disagree that they can, but a, not every app wants your car keys and b, not every app is written as well as the next.

I use the Stats app and find it gives me just enough info to satisfy my tech geekiness, but not so much that it gets wasted. A decent compromise I think. TeslaFi is a bit much for me, although I know it is well liked by many Tesla owners far more into the analysis side of things than I am.

Not sure I’d do both even if I was interested in TeslaFi. Multiple apps waking up the car can’t help.

On the security front, I think I’ll look a little deeper into potential risk of allowing 3rd party APIs to access my car. I also saw the app developer for Stats explaining it and was satisfied with that explanation at the time. But worth delving into I think.

I presume it is a non-trivial exercise to properly secure Teslamate unless you are some kind of professional in security?
If you run it on a Raspberry Pi connected to your home network it's just as secure as any other computer on your home network.

It's only when you run it on a cloud VM (e.g. Google, Amazon AWS, Linode etc) where you have to be careful, or where you directly expose your home installation to the internet (port forwarding) for convenient access to stats while you're away from home.

With only 5 days left before collection and even thought recently TeslaFi had a recent outage I think that I’ll go for the trial and see how it goes. I don’t stats immediately.

If anyone has a referral code for TeslaFi please send it to me.