Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla still delivers cars with moisture in reverse light housing!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like my earlier post isn't being read.

They have a new part that does not have the plastic windows. It is what is being shipped on all new Teslas. They will put it on as part of warranty if you have condensation. This isn't a "fix", this is a totally new part that solves the problem.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have had that very moisture issue in the rear lights since day 1 but keep forgetting to mention it since it has rained so infrequently this year. I do notice it a few hours after hand washing sometimes, which is a bit odd since I wash (foam and rinse) the entire car with a total of 3 gallons of water. Guess it doesn't take much.

I asked my SC and they said they wouldn't put on this new part as part of the warranty but would try to fix the "old" part. It went in for the second time for moisture in the reverse lights, first time for driver, second time for passenger side. Will see how this fix lasts.

I asked my SC and they said they wouldn't put on this new part as part of the warranty but would try to fix the "old" part. It went in for the second time for moisture in the reverse lights, first time for driver, second time for passenger side. Will see how this fix lasts.

I think your service center is having fun with you. Why would they not use a new part designed specifically to fix this issue? Makes no sense to me. I'd press for an explanation.

I asked for the new appliqué for my July 85D and it was installed under warranty last week. I didn't have much, if any, fogging but I knew I eventually would and they agreed. It is subtle change but definitely nicer with the new higher raised lettering.

I did buy Tesla wheels & TPMS and had snow tires mounted, so the cost of the appliqué was likely insignificant in the overall transaction ...

I asked for the new appliqué for my July 85D and it was installed under warranty last week. I didn't have much, if any, fogging but I knew I eventually would and they agreed. It is subtle change but definitely nicer with the new higher raised lettering.

I did buy Tesla wheels & TPMS and had snow tires mounted, so the cost of the appliqué was likely insignificant in the overall transaction ...

I don't understand what you mean by the appliqué in the context of the tail lights replacement?

I'm referring to the chrome strip with raised TESLA lettering that also covers the back-up lights as the appliqué. Nothing to do with the tail lights, other than the ends of the appliqué fitting into the tail light housing.

So, having taken my chrome strip off, I noticed that there is a plastic lens that is part of the chrome strip IN FRONT of the ACTUAL lamp housing.

Basically this issue is nothing as the water is not inside the actual lamp assembly. To resolve it I popped out the clear cover that is part of the chrome piece and it has looked perfect since.

Hopefully I didn't void my warranty, still I was dumbstruck as to why they would do it like this.

I'm having the same problem. Wash my car a lot so the condensation never has a chance to dry out. How hard was it to remove the chrome strip and pop out that clear cover? The Ranger said I could order the new chrome piece under warranty but it seems like a waste if I can just pop out the clear cover myself.

Has any update changed the applique? Mine, replaced at least once, still sticks/pops out at the ends where it has not fully adhered to the underlying lights at the extreme ends of the applique. Maybe the applique does not follow the body shape well enough.

A simple problem? Still a problem with the current design?

The chrome aplique is ont flush and I too have had sporadic condensation in taillight, but do I care? No, I noted these facts and moved on, life is too short for that, I am thoroughly enjoying my deep discount Tessie.

Has any update changed the applique? Mine, replaced at least once, still sticks/pops out at the ends where it has not fully adhered to the underlying lights at the extreme ends of the applique. Maybe the applique does not follow the body shape well enough.

A simple problem? Still a problem with the current design?

FYI Tesla calls the chrome strip the rear "appliqué." It's plastic and on many cars the extreme ends lift off the twilight. Tesla is now making a new version without the lens and slightly different letters. It's $205 (the previous version was $150). Both attach with 5 upper and lower clips and 3M double sided tape to a black plastic applique bracket.

We are now making them out of machined billet aluminum in polished versions or painted to match the car. Ours fits so well that 3M tape is not needed and the ends do not lift away from the taillights. See this thread.

I complained of the condensation, and they changed out the appliqué from the old to the new style. Problem solved.

I did at my SC as well, after the second time it was in there for water condensation inside there, and they said they would give me the new version just fix the old one. In fact they didn't even realize there was a new version till I mentioned it and they went and looked at cars there. At least they said they just realized it was a change. So they fixed it again. It seems better now.