Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla still delivers cars with moisture in reverse light housing!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought of a tiny hole as well, but what I am afraid of is the water that could enter the assembly through it - while it would evaporate it could leave behind dirt that entered with it, so over time you would have a dirt build-up in the light that would be very difficult to clean.

There IS good news on this problem. Unofficially, but from a trusted source, Elon has "signed off" on the redesigned part and it will enter production "shortly."

As this has been a problem on all three of our MS's, we're looking forward to it. Truly a First World Problem, but one that should have been addressed, oh, about two years ago perhaps?

Yes, it will retrofit from the very first MS's as well--what other brand would do that for us?!?

There IS good news on this problem. Unofficially, but from a trusted source, Elon has "signed off" on the redesigned part and it will enter production "shortly."

As this has been a problem on all three of our MS's, we're looking forward to it. Truly a First World Problem, but one that should have been addressed, oh, about two years ago perhaps?

Yes, it will retrofit from the very first MS's as well--what other brand would do that for us?!?

Well since it's field quality issue I guess and hope all brands would do.

I have an update on this....

I had some very minor body work done on my MS - I got a small ding in the lip of the trunk and when they repaired it, they removed this rear molding strip.

In the process of removing it, one of the two plastic windows that cover the reverse lights cracked. It is all part of this chrome looking strip that says "tesla" across the middle and has the two plastic windows that collect the condensation.

When they ordered the new part from Tesla, they received a different strip that did not have plastic - but was only cut outs where the plastic once sat. We both called Tesla and they confirmed that this is the new part for the condensation issue - and that they will replace it as a warranty issue if you do have condensation.

The Toronto service Centre in Mississauga fixed mine for good. No more issues. They said they found a way to fix the fogging.
You might have to drive to Toronto to get it done! Go Jays Go!

Good luck with that. I've had mine fixed 3 times at Tranmere (once, actually when they had to pull it off to replace my rear-view camera) and each time, it was supposedly using some new and improved technique. I still get water fogging and now, I actually get it inside my left rear tail light (the red section) as well.

So, having taken my chrome strip off, I noticed that there is a plastic lens that is part of the chrome strip IN FRONT of the ACTUAL lamp housing.

Basically this issue is nothing as the water is not inside the actual lamp assembly. To resolve it I popped out the clear cover that is part of the chrome piece and it has looked perfect since.

Hopefully I didn't void my warranty, still I was dumbstruck as to why they would do it like this.

Seems like my earlier post isn't being read.

They have a new part that does not have the plastic windows. It is what is being shipped on all new Teslas. They will put it on as part of warranty if you have condensation. This isn't a "fix", this is a totally new part that solves the problem.

Seems like my earlier post isn't being read.

They have a new part that does not have the plastic windows. It is what is being shipped on all new Teslas. They will put it on as part of warranty if you have condensation.

Even if your warranty period has passed?

Ask them to waive the deductible since this is a design flaw that has existed since purchase. Tell them that you've pointed out this issue to them during your warranty period. Make some noise.

It's probably one of those things I'd "mention" if the car is in for something else. I'd rather save my "noise making" credits for more serious issues :biggrin: