Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla stock falls 7%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be bummed about the tax credit elimination (waiting for my Model 3), but I doubt Tesla cares too much. They have pretty much milked it to the max. It would however make it harder for other automakers to sell EVs especially without Tesla's charging infrastructure (expensive and nowhere to fast charge). If I was Elon, I'd be encouraging Congress to get rid of it.

It will have a huge effect. Data shows after Hong Kong did away with their tax credit, no model s or x vehicles were registered meaning no sales.
I don't agree. Most people buying a $100k vehicle are not going care much about a $7500 tax credit. It will effect people wanting the Model 3 SR, but the credit was only going to last until late next year anyway (once Tesla hits 200k US sales). As long as Tesla can continue to bring down the cost of manufacturing the battery, they will be fine. It's the other manufacturers who will have a hard time without the credit.

Musk has said that the EV credit doesn't factor into their pricing or decisions, so based on that the elimination of the tax credit shouldn't affect Tesla much.
Then he's an idiot because every since Tesla pricing display is net of the tax credit for new vehicles. Every salesman tells you about it - and prices the vehicle net - and all of the lease payments quoted show the price net of the $7500 for cap cost.

without the $7500 - it would skew our decision to prob wait and buy something else for car pool lane access.

The wife wants a Tesla - but we don't NEED a Tesla and neither of us are fanboys - so Elon loses us if he doesn't deliver a vehicle before the tax credit expires.

stock falls 7% today on worse than expected loss. GOP tax plan may eliminate EV tax credit raising the effective price by $7500. wow! The news goes from bad to worse.

Only 7%? When Tesla announced they are acquiring Solar City, TSLA dropped 10% in one afternoon!

And to keep things in perspective, not even 12 months ago after Trump won election, TSLA hit $178. Now with all the doom and gloom, we are at $299. Any long term investor shouldn't be worried.

And the Model 3 is sold out for the next 2-3 years; the $7500 EV incentive cancellation will have no material impact on that. In fact, it may cause more people to jump in Model S and X before the tax credit disappears.

The elimination of the tax credit may actually help Tesla, since Tesla would have already exhausted their quota by the time the repeal goes into effect. This would put the other manufacturers who sold fewer EVs on a even playing field with Tesla.

Not quite. If this does make it into the final tax plan that becomes law, the tax credits would disappear just after 31 December 2017. People have guessed that Tesla will hit the 200k mark in early to mid 2018, so they're losing out on at least six months of a $7,500 tax credit (probably more like nine months), six months of a $3,750 tax credit, and six months of a $1,875 tax credit.

• Helpful
Reactions: Runt8 and TaoJones
Why is it that some people on this forum care more about the effect cancelling the tax credit would have on Tesla than the effect it would have on ev sales generally? I put a $1,000 deposit on a model 3 because I care about the environment, not because I have a hard-on for fancy cars. I now drive an i-Miev which handles 90% of my driving needs, but it's that other 10% - the long drives that require me to use a gas car - that has convinced me I need an ev with greater range. I thought that I'd find lots of like-minded folks on these forums. I'm getting quite disappointed.

Why is it that some people on this forum care more about the effect cancelling the tax credit would have on Tesla than the effect it would have on ev sales generally? I put a $1,000 deposit on a model 3 because I care about the environment, not because I have a hard-on for fancy cars. I now drive an i-Miev which handles 90% of my driving needs, but it's that other 10% - the long drives that require me to use a gas car - that has convinced me I need an ev with greater range. I thought that I'd find lots of like-minded folks on these forums. I'm getting quite disappointed.

Are you kidding me? I created a poll on what people's #1 reason was for ordering a Model 3. The #2 reason (just slightly behind Tesla EV tech) was environmentalism with over 50 people voting for it.

If people are buying a Tesla or any other EV for environmental reasons that is their prerogative... keep in mind that there are 80 million vehicles sold globally every year. As passionate as you and others might be about Tesla's impact on the global automotive scene that impact is still minuscule with Tesla selling about 250K cars globally since their inception... not per year. Over that same period of time there have been over 400 million ICE cars sold.

The long and the short of it is that Tesla is proving the concept, and that is about it.

If someone is really so extremely concerned about the environment that they are obsessing over the need to drive an EV rather than an ICE vehicle then I would suggest they perhaps instead start by putting a massive solar panel installation on their home. Better yet, sell the inefficient and wasteful home and move into an efficiency apartment that is close enough to everything you need to do that you can walk or take public transportation.

If anyone at Tesla believes (mistakenly, in my opinion) that tax incentives mean little or nothing, they are totally missing the bigger picture. If your goal is to sell a relatively small number of hyerexpensive niche vehicles, then fine. Who cares about a little bit of tax relief? But if your goal is to change the world, you'd better care about it. Because it matters to the vast majority of potential EV buyers.
Robin

Here's the way I see it (re tax credit):
  • Full Tax credit is limited to 200k (plus some Quarterly fidgeting)
  • Tesla is close to that (150k or something?)
  • Tesla has something like 600k reservations for the model 3
  • Depending on which quarter the tax credit phases out, a LOT of current reservation holders were not going to get the credit anyway.
  • If you assumed you were getting it and you were depending on it you were kidding yourself.
  • The base model (35k *PRE* tax credit) will be coming out when the tax credit phases out.
Adding all that up above, I just don't see how losing the tax credit changes that much.

Are you kidding me? I created a poll on what people's #1 reason was for ordering a Model 3. The #2 reason (just slightly behind Tesla EV tech) was environmentalism with over 50 people voting for it....

If someone is really so extremely concerned about the environment that they are obsessing over the need to drive an EV rather than an ICE vehicle then I would suggest they perhaps instead start by putting a massive solar panel installation on their home. Better yet, sell the inefficient and wasteful home and move into an efficiency apartment that is close enough to everything you need to do that you can walk or take public transportation.

And yet people are applauding the possibility of the tax credit being cancelled because that would help Tesla, even though it would devastate the ev market overall. By the way, the image you chose for yourself suits you perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.