Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Store Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it would be a horrible move to charge for test drives, that creates a very greedy image of Tesla.
Im sure Tesla will make more test drive cars available within the next months.

It think the best solution now is to offer the test drives only to reservation holders, and explain that due to very high demand for test drives (creates higher value for the brand if the customer hears that) all the test drives slots are booked out but They can give tesla their contact details and as soon as there will be a slot free tesla will call them.

I think that would be the most elegant solution and people would understand it way better.
Just telling a customer "no you are not allowed to sit in this car unless you put down 5k" will/is sounding very arrogant to the most people because they don't know all the details about that whole situation that we know

Here is my experience. I'm from Vancouver, BC and yesterday on a whim, decided to head down to Bellvue Washington to the Tesla store at the mall. I had taken Cyber Monday to the max and had ordered a Tesla S,never having seen an actual vehicle, thought I should at least sit in one. Arriving at the store just before noon, we were greeted promptly even though there were several other customers. When they finished they asked if we had any questions of which there were many. My wife asked if there was a possibility of a test drive and as luck would have it there was an opening later that afternoon. After sitting in the store vehicle we went for lunch and returned later for our drive. Allie our test drive person answered all our inquires and then some. Very knowledgeable and confident. Now the drive-WOW! The test drive nailed it for me. I had the Tesla grin all the way home and well into the next day. I was elated with my experience and confident I had made the right decision after all my research. I will be a Tesla ambassador for sure. I am also looking into working at Tesla here in Vancouver in any capacity, that's how dedicated I am. Thanks to the great people at Tesla Bellvue!

I am a Tesla enthusiast and a Tesla stock holder. I want Tesla to succeed, and seeing George's comment here lets me know I made the right choice.

My first experience at the Tesla store was great. They were very good at answering questions, and gave great customer service. I put down my reservation for a testdrive. I was told that they would be in touch in about 2 weeks and let me know when my testdrive would be.

I waited 3 weeks without any call or email from them. So I called them. They scheduled me right away for a testdrive later that week. No explanation was given as for why I wasn't contacted.
The first impression in the showroom was great, but the follow-up was lacking. They did not seem too concerned with when reservation holders received their testdrive. My wife was not happy. I am more understanding of the growing pains with a new company, and I'm sure I'll be happy with their customer service during and after the testdrive.

I hope I was the exception and they have kept other customers in the loop.

all four of us we appalled at the utter snobbery of the Tesla employee who "helped" us. When asked how we could test drive, he said we could "not have a test drive". He said test drives are "only for reservation holders".
My parents are in the buyer demographic but they were totally turned off and not impressed.

End of rant... I hope Managment can change this snob culture ASAP.

Literally the exact experience I had in Santa Monica here. I was in the market for a luxury sedan and found myself interested in getting the Model S. I was renting a car without having to pay for it; so not in any particular rush to HAVE it, but I was definitely going to order something that week, so I was a hot sale waiting to happen); ordered a BMW instead the next day.

Literally the exact experience I had in Santa Monica here. I was in the market for a luxury sedan and found myself interested in getting the Model S. I was renting a car without having to pay for it; so not in any particular rush to HAVE it, but I was definitely going to order something that week, so I was a hot sale waiting to happen); ordered a BMW instead the next day.

A few of things;

Nobody 'sells' Model S cars. So, regardless if you were a 'hot' sale or not, nobody is going to 'sell' to you. You would be required to ask your own questions and then execute the buy (in this case, put in a reservation) yourself. Certainly, you could have asked additional questions on how to reserve, and I'm quite sure they at the SM store would have happily complied.

There simply aren't enough Model S in existence for people to get test drives just because they've 'stopped by' the store. It's not snobbery to not allow you a test drive and it's widely known that preference to test drives go to reservationists. It's also widely known that if you call ahead, state you're seriously considering reserving, but need a test drive to pull the trigger, that the Tesla stores are most accommodating of finding a day and time for a test drive.

Some people will find offense in just about anything. I, personally, can't be offended by anyone unless I 'choose' to be offended. But if indeed, they treated you that badly, you do Tesla and the individual/s who offended you a disservice by not doing something about it, like reporting it to the manager, or some other upper level management person.

Enjoy the BMW.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you'll stick around even if not at the OCD level of some of us.

If you're willing to share, can you list some info on the BMW specs you went with? It's interesting to hear "real buyer" decision-making.

I hold a reservation, in large part because of the car and what it is and what it stands for. I also hold that reservation in part because of the exemplary service provided to me by Jeff Liu (mgr-White Plains/Westchester NY) and his staff. I have a crazy time schedule and Jeff always does his best to accommodate my needs. Jeff works hard and long hours (He has even returned/taken my calls as late as ten at night) and his dedication shows.

When this company succeeds, it will be because of folks like Jeff.

Last edited:
A few of things;

Nobody 'sells' Model S cars. So, regardless if you were a 'hot' sale or not, nobody is going to 'sell' to you. You would be required to ask your own questions and then execute the buy (in this case, put in a reservation) yourself. Certainly, you could have asked additional questions on how to reserve, and I'm quite sure they at the SM store would have happily complied.

There simply aren't enough Model S in existence for people to get test drives just because they've 'stopped by' the store. It's not snobbery to not allow you a test drive and it's widely known that preference to test drives go to reservationists. It's also widely known that if you call ahead, state you're seriously considering reserving, but need a test drive to pull the trigger, that the Tesla stores are most accommodating of finding a day and time for a test drive.

Some people will find offense in just about anything. I, personally, can't be offended by anyone unless I 'choose' to be offended. But if indeed, they treated you that badly, you do Tesla and the individual/s who offended you a disservice by not doing something about it, like reporting it to the manager, or some other upper level management person.

Enjoy the BMW.

I didn't want a test drive. I wanted to sit inside the floor model and see how the touch screen worked. That's all it would have took; then I would've asked where I can sign up. Literally it would've been that easy.

Seeing the screen in person, and then already doing my research about the technology, the styling (making sure the headlight outline/tails are LED, etc... little things like that which were important to me) was enough that I was already "sold." I didn't need to test the car prior to ordering it.

I politely asked the gentleman if I could sit in the car, with the Tesla booklets in my hand, and he looked at me like I was some kind of f**** *******. He said that only serious buyers could sit inside and that "looking at it would have to be enough."

This may not have been a deal breaker, but get this - while I was having this conversation with the sales guy, some 18-20 somethings was getting out of the floor model. Absolutely pathetic.

I'm not arguing anything, it doesn't seem like anyone on here really is. It's just how this brand selectively chooses what their image is. It's a shame and unfortunate, but it will hit them poorly in the end.

I didn't want a test drive. I wanted to sit inside the floor model and see how the touch screen worked. That's all it would have took; then I would've asked where I can sign up. Literally it would've been that easy.

Seeing the screen in person, and then already doing my research about the technology, the styling (making sure the headlight outline/tails are LED, etc... little things like that which were important to me) was enough that I was already "sold." I didn't need to test the car prior to ordering it.

I politely asked the gentleman if I could sit in the car, with the Tesla booklets in my hand, and he looked at me like I was some kind of f**** *******. He said that only serious buyers could sit inside and that "looking at it would have to be enough."

This may not have been a deal breaker, but get this - while I was having this conversation with the sales guy, some 18-20 somethings was getting out of the floor model. Absolutely pathetic.

I'm not arguing anything, it doesn't seem like anyone on here really is. It's just how this brand selectively chooses what their image is. It's a shame and unfortunate, but it will hit them poorly in the end.

I can see your position from what you've typed here and it's a shame that a potential owner was offended and left with a bad taste in their mouth to go buy an (inferior :tongue:) car. It sounds as though he prejudged you from outward appearances and that's a big no-no in any retail type environment.

I'm not easily put off by a scenerio like this, though, and I could think of a million different ways to handle someone like this. True, it's not your responsibility, but I'm against people getting away with this kind of behaviour in the work place, period.

The manager of the SM store would probably like to hear about this, and if the guy was the manager, then George Blankenship would probably like to hear about this. Again, I know it's not your responsibility to inform higher ups of this treatment, but it would be a great service to Tesla.

For what it's worth, I'd say this is NOT how Tesla operates overall. Consider that I've been treated extremely well by Tesla on 100% of interactions ... and I'm in my late 50s. So I don't believe that 'this is how this brand selectively chooses what their image is'. And most people on this forum are not in the age group you call out, either.

I agree with krugerrand - you will do Tesla a service if you choose to escalate your experience. Please consider it.

Tesla Store Experience - worn Model S floor model

"I want nothing more than to see Tesla succeed."

I've had absolutely great experiences with the sales reps on each of my visits to the Oak Brook IL store. Today I placed my order after three visits and a test drive.

After ordering, I sat in the showroom Model S and grew concerned. The interior hasn't held up well. The front panel to the glove box has come off, the center slide over the cup holder was broken off, a plastic cover on the passenger seat slide-bar was off, and a lifting of the floor-mat brought the carpeting with it from floorboard. I know these cars get a load of traffic and abuse, but it caused me to question its durability or quality. I felt bad for the sales rep that tried to explain it away. I'd think since this is a critical point for many to place their order, that the service reps would keep these floor models in top shape. At this price-point, we're used to certain amenities, level of quality and service. In the span of 5 minutes, I was questioning each.

The cars they have now in the store are the first "practice" cars they made on the production line. I don't believe they had all the final materials when they were built. The only concern is the location of the B pillar because that's something that isn't going to be changed.

"I want nothing more than to see Tesla succeed."

I've had absolutely great experiences with the sales reps on each of my visits to the Oak Brook IL store. Today I placed my order after three visits and a test drive.

After ordering, I sat in the showroom Model S and grew concerned. The interior hasn't held up well. The front panel to the glove box has come off, the center slide over the cup holder was broken off, a plastic cover on the passenger seat slide-bar was off, and a lifting of the floor-mat brought the carpeting with it from floorboard. I know these cars get a load of traffic and abuse, but it caused me to question its durability or quality. I felt bad for the sales rep that tried to explain it away. I'd think since this is a critical point for many to place their order, that the service reps would keep these floor models in top shape. At this price-point, we're used to certain amenities, level of quality and service. In the span of 5 minutes, I was questioning each.

I have always questioned the quality of the Model S interior. They need to spend more money and upgrade the carpet, the seats and the interior headroom area. I was very dissappointed in the base model. I got the performance for that reason. I wish they had used Mercedes interior supplier. I get the whole minimalist concept but the interior makes a big difference.

Literally the exact experience I had in Santa Monica here.

I also had a negative experience in Santa Monica - it was just one person though. On other visits I've generally been treated well. In this particular case, I was sitting in the back of the floor model trying to decide whether the head room was enough without the pano-roof. One of the last decisions I needed to make so I could finalize on the MVPA. After less than a minute, one of the staff told me I had to get out since others were 'waiting'. Given that I squeezed the visit into my already tight schedule, I was very annoyed.

In any case, I think the problem is not training or personality flaws as much as the original strategy in placing the stores in the first place. Namely areas with high foot traffic -- something the Santa Monica store gets a lot of. Think of it, 100's of people milling about wanting to look but 98% of them really couldn't buy even if they wanted to. How is the staff to know the difference? By the end of the day, I'd expect even the most well mannered individual will become less congenial in order to move the throngs along. Contrast that with Mercedes or BMW stores where the numbers are lower and the percentage of potential buyers is much higher. I remember one store where a nice spread was laid out with free coffee and treats for the potential customers. Something like that wouldn't last 15 minutes at the Santa Monica store.

Although I understand the desire to inform the general public, I think the strategy is doomed. Spending this amount of money is nothing like buying a computer -- even taking into account the Gen III lower price. The circus atmosphere is a real turn off and very distracting to me. I'd really rather be selecting/buying my cars at a location designated just for that.

Given that every time I go into an automobile dealership I want to take several showers afterwards to remove the slime, I'll take the "circus atmosphere" any day. Perhaps there are dealers that are not that way, but I've never experienced one yet.

However, the real secret of the Telsa store model is the online ordering system. Same goes for the Apple store. The Apple store personnel have never impressed me that much with their knowledge (which is close to zero) but if I need something trivial (like a cable) it's a convenient place to go. Any serious purchasing is always done online. Once I did try to purchase a system at an Apple store, but after waiting for forty minutes I was told they didn't have time to sell me one--so I made my $20K business system purchase online. My fault really, I should have known better than to go to a brick and mortar store and expect actual results.