Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Store - Unethical Referrals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. At the same time, it would suck to be a new customer and order a car at the store only to discover later that I could have had $1000 off using a referral code. I guess if it's Tesla sanctioned its ok. But if some random person (not affiliated with Tesla) edited the browser's homepage, that would be pretty sneaky.

Got to remember the reason these referrals were started.. It saves Tesla $2000 in selling costs.
Tesla offering $1,000 referral bounty on Model S sales
Musk said it costs about $2,000 more to sell a Tesla Model S through one of the company stores than directly to the customer.

"If we can amplify word of mouth, then we don’t need to open as many new stores in the future," he said in a letter to Tesla owners announcing the referral plan.

Got to remember the reason these referrals were started.. It saves Tesla $2000 in selling costs.
Tesla offering $1,000 referral bounty on Model S sales
I wouldn't bet much on the $2000 savings for Tesla. Most buyers still visit the store, take test drive and then order through the referral link. So while owners maybe helping people make up their mind but it doesn't save Tesla any money.