TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Stores

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by doug, Jun 30, 2010.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#1 doug, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
    Rather than clutering things up by making each Tesla store thread sticky, I figured we'd just link to them from here.

2. edo

edo Member

I've thought for a while that "Tesla Stores" might be best off as a sub-forum of "Tesla Motors". (Or would that be a sub-sub-forum?) whatever "Battery Discussion" is in Technical.

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Paris and Milan are supposed to open in a few months. Those ought to be exciting flagship stores.

I gather the Tag Heuer Roadster will be part of the Paris opening Sept 28th to Oct. 4th.

4. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Tesla Hires Apple, Gap Veteran to Revolutionize Car Buying Experience

5. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Turn Black Friday Green at Tesla Menlo Park

Got an email from Denisse at Tesla last night inviting us to the Menlo Park showroom to see the Model S, Nov 26-27, 10am to 5pm.

Turn Black Friday Green at Tesla Menlo Park
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1112.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1114.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1113.jpg

retailwordmark_headergrey.jpg display_data.jpg display_data2.jpg

6. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

If you go and they've got the mysterious alpha build on display (not the red one we've seen a few times) or some other new variant, you so have to take lots of pictures. And immediately post them here of course :)

Cobos

7. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

I bet it's the red one. Would love to see the alpha model though.

8. clea

clea Member

the latest blog from Mr. Blankenship (Stop In. Go Electric. | Blog | Tesla Motors) states that they will definitely use the concept of separate service centers to broaden their support.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It makes a lot of sense. Zoning regulations in many cities don't allow automotive service shops in prime locations - the rules were written for dirty ICE cars.

So you split it. Put the retail store in a swanky prime downtown retail location. Put the service locations in some industrial park or auto mall in the 'burbs near a big highway, where rents are cheap, zoning isn't an issue, traffic isn't as congested, and customers can get to it easily.

10. clea

clea Member

Am wondering, if this is how they will deal with the issue of places like Texas where they can't open a store there because it's owned by the manufacturer. At least they will be able to service them locally even if they can't sell them there ...

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Internet sales?

12. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

That's interesting. I wonder where the line is drawn (legally) between sales and service. For instance, certainly a service center (i.e. repair shop) can sell parts. Can they sell upgrades? Can a car sold via the internet or out-of-state Tesla store be delivered at a service location?

[N.B. Last several posts moved from here.]

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Tesla had a workaround for the Texas thing. Didn't we cover it on TMC before?

14. user497

user497 Member

Just out of curiosity, why are they still opening new stores in the US (e.g. Park Meadows) when that other thread is saying that they only have a handful of cars left to sell in the US? Shouldn't they wait until they are closer to the model S launch?

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

They can't do all that at the last minute. They have to ramp up - hire and train personnel, get their systems up and running, etc., etc.

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Keep selling Model S pre-order deposits even before production starts? (Although the existing wait list means that new 'customers' could be waiting quite a bit.) Also, I recall some mention about Tesla going out and buying used Roadsters then refurbing and reselling them. So maybe the stores will have a trickle of updated Roadsters to (re)sell ?

17. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Dr Computer is postulating there is going to be a glut of Roadster mods coming. They have to keep the store busy between 12K incremental services.

18. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

It's been talked about but I've never seen anything about Tesla's solution to the Texas store law. Did they figure something out finally?

19. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

Apparently they have similar laws in Georgia as they have in Texas about not allowing the manufacturer to open a store.