Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sues Ontario Government

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dealers are eligible if they have a car on order not just EVs on their lot.

I don't think it matters. They don't control the ordering process and they could be committed to the order. That combined with having to move inventory gives the government enough excuse to treat manufacturers and franchisees differently and give the franchisees another couple of months to clear inventory..

Reactions: adaptabl

Im doing my part to fight the FUD.

This comment section on Youtube is killing me

It's amazing to see the comments in these videos. So uneducated, ignorant, and full of jealousy. They know nothing about manufacturing processes, the mining industry, supply chain management, global economics, capital market history, but the cliche verbal diarrhea coming out of their mouths is paraded around like truth. One can get worked up after reading stuff like that, but I resign to the fact that you can't fix stupidity and if they want to wallow in being a sad, uninformed glob of a human, then enjoy your stay.

If you think the entire argument is hinged on this leap I think you need to go back and carefully read the claim. As an excuse, it would at best be a mitigating factor and in this case, arguably very minor to irrelevant.

"The lawsuit claims on July 11 the original language surrounding the transition plan included Tesla Canada.

However, it claims the Ministry of Transportation later changed the wording to "expressly exclude Tesla Canada and its customers from the transition plan."

"Expressly exclude" is Tesla's wording, but I bet it doesn't say "but not Tesla". I bet it just exclude direct sales.
Tesla would have to demonstrate that it has actually been targeted and that there is no merit to the differentiation between franchisees and manufacturer.

• Disagree
Reactions: akaluana
"Expressly exclude" is Tesla's wording, but I bet it doesn't say "but not Tesla". I bet it just exclude direct sales.
Tesla would have to demonstrate that it has actually been targeted and that there is no merit to the differentiation between franchisees and manufacturer.

If they changed the wording and the new wording only impacts Tesla, that is expressly (specifically if you prefer) excluding.
Just like the legislative change in Michigan that specifically prohibited Tesla sales here...
https://jalopnik.com/michigan-governor-signs-anti-tesla-bill-into-law-1648978048

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
"The lawsuit claims on July 11 the original language surrounding the transition plan included Tesla Canada.

However, it claims the Ministry of Transportation later changed the wording to "expressly exclude Tesla Canada and its customers from the transition plan."

upload_2018-8-17_17-40-32.png

Optics is good for Tesla. They're standing up to a non environmental government hell bent on dismantling anything that resembles environmental progress. The PC's will regret ever touching Cap and Trade in the long run (affects the Federal files also as Harper relaxed many of our strict environmental regulations).

No, The optics are that Tesla is trying to protect it's rich customers and give them huge government rebates that the average Ontario tax payer is funding thru higher taxes. This is very popular with the general population and a big move to get the public on side with Ford.

The government should of cut the limit for the program at $50,000.00 net selling price before taxes back in March along with setting it to a lower amount. $14,000.00 is crazy high. If they had done that the program may of continued.

Tesla is doing the right thing standing behind their customers.

Government may score some point misinforming non Tesla customers but everyone who is in the market for EV is smarter than that. Tesla is doing the right thing standing up to the bullies and I think will prompt EV buyers to stand with Tesla for years to come.

No, The optics are that Tesla is trying to protect it's rich customers and give them huge government rebates that the average Ontario tax payer is funding thru higher taxes. This is very popular with the general population and a big move to get the public on side with Ford.

The government should of cut the limit for the program at $50,000.00 net selling price before taxes back in March along with setting it to a lower amount. $14,000.00 is crazy high. If they had done that the program may of continued.

I would disagree; the $14000 was a major driver for me (middle class - college educated technician) being able to afford this car that I've been wanting since a child oh twenty years ago when they first killed the electric car. Here's what I see - a new government dismantling everything the old government has done without any thought or financial/fiscal plan - nor any plans to replace/upgrade the things they're taking down.

Tesla is fighting back because they've suffered sale losses due to being "singled" out by these policies. No major brand would stand for that without a fight and standing behind their potential customers is a good optical move. The people who sides with Ford wouldn't buy a Tesla car to begin with so Tesla is not losing any sales on that front. In fact, with this increase of news coverage (btw bias af), those ill informed people may do their own investigating and find out that Ford is a total hypocrite by saying Tesla creates no jobs in Ontario when in reality - Ontario OEMs and their supply chain has received many contracts from Tesla in the past and will do so in the future when the Model Y is in the works because our Automotive sector is world class and at a discount versus the American supply chain when you factor in the USD vs CAD rates.

Further down economic food chain and the greater economy, people like me - the engineers, the production line worker, the managers, etc who work at said OEMs and supply chain - spend their money locally and support other businesses. Ford nor the media has ever mentioned any of these facts. Model 3 ramp up has been a boon to the Ontario automotive sector and economy the past three years.

Last edited:
Agree with all of you about the misinformed comments.

I have a few thoughts on the rebate program... I believe there was an independent study commissioned saying that programs like this are largely ineffective (in terms of dollars spent vs. purchases made). It was recent (here in Ontario) but I am too lazy to look for it. Assuming that is correct, then maybe these types of programs aren't the best at getting more EV's on the road, so I would be open to whatever was more effective...

HOWEVER.... and this is a big HOWEVER...

I have always said, if the goal of the program was to help the environment, through reduced automotive emissions, then car price should not even be considered as a factor. I have said (here) many times, that I am not a wealthy guy. Firmly middle class with a big mortgage and two kids under 13, but I have NO problem with someone worth $100 million getting this rebate if it means one less gas guzzler on the road.

I also support the same incentives for high efficiency HVAC systems, windows, appliances etc... I don't care if the "rich" are getting them as well because I see a greater societal benefit. So, I patently reject this "why should I subsidize the rich" BS. First off, it's not even true but even if it were, my answer would be... you should because it is helping with the air you breathe.

The notion that the rich would buy it anyways isn't always true either...it is human nature that almost everyone I know, loves "getting a deal". Rich, poor and everything in between. That incentive might the difference between a Model S on the road and a gas guzzling AMG E63 on the road.