Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Super Charger conspiracy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bit of a bump from outside the UK!

But back on topic rather than a political point, I have a theory that I think is entirely plausible :

When the car is preconditioning for charging it uses more energy,
When the car is charging, its either heating or cooling the battery to maintain the optimum settings.
Since the new energy chart thing, it works out whats functions are using energy, and that includes energy going to the battery for heating/cooling
Where it goes wrong is that it assumes that energy use will continue after you've finshed charging even when it won't.

So.. the car is 150 miles from the destination on a supercharger charger, sipping an additional x amount of electrons, can says.. I need this much for distance, this much for speed, this much for elevation and this much for battery conditioning - that means we'll get there with y%

Unplug, battery conditioning falls to zero as a result, and the car constantly recalculates.. so guess what.. it now thinks you have more left when you arrive because all that battery conditioning stuff isn;t needed
Nice theory but doesn't account for the behaviour I saw where the % remaining dropped after I drove from the SuC.

interesting - but I used another one today at much lower rate and car immediately informed me that I can continue my trip, even it was pre-conditioning.

it was on the lower end of the tarriff though, so maybe less incentive for tesla to add additional 10-20%...

Bit of a bump from outside the UK!

But back on topic rather than a political point, I have a theory that I think is entirely plausible :

When the car is preconditioning for charging it uses more energy,
When the car is charging, its either heating or cooling the battery to maintain the optimum settings.
Since the new energy chart thing, it works out whats functions are using energy, and that includes energy going to the battery for heating/cooling
Where it goes wrong is that it assumes that energy use will continue after you've finshed charging even when it won't.

So.. the car is 150 miles from the destination on a supercharger charger, sipping an additional x amount of electrons, can says.. I need this much for distance, this much for speed, this much for elevation and this much for battery conditioning - that means we'll get there with y%

Unplug, battery conditioning falls to zero as a result, and the car constantly recalculates.. so guess what.. it now thinks you have more left when you arrive because all that battery conditioning stuff isn;t needed
If this was indeed just a massive calculation blunder and a coder forgot to deduct the preconditioning consumption from the range projection post-supercharging, and nobody was able to spot that or issue a fix in the past 6 months, well that’s embarrassing for Tesla.

If I were them and I was discovering this today, I think I'd rather admit to the conspiracy to make more ££, it's less embarrassing than incompetence at this point for what is supposed to be a software/AI company rather than a car manufacturer...