Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla super charger tariff not same across the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did about 520 miles round trip to Croydon from Yorkshire in my newish (71 reg) Tesla 3 dual motor in the weekend just gone. I used Tesla Superchargers at three different locations and the rates I was charged were different each time: Thame Road (near Oxford) was £0.49/kWh, Poyle Road (Hilton Heathrow) £0.21/kWh and Purley way, Croydon 0.46/kWh. This was the first time I used 3 different chargers within 24 hours and the differential charging by Tesla came as a bit of rude shock to me. Is this normal? Appreciate any comments.

Murti Gollapudi

I did about 520 miles round trip to Croydon from Yorkshire in my newish (71 reg) Tesla 3 dual motor in the weekend just gone. I used Tesla Superchargers at three different locations and the rates I was charged were different each time: Thame Road (near Oxford) was £0.49/kWh, Poyle Road (Hilton Heathrow) £0.21/kWh and Purley way, Croydon 0.46/kWh. This was the first time I used 3 different chargers within 24 hours and the differential charging by Tesla came as a bit of rude shock to me. Is this normal? Appreciate any comments.

Murti Gollapudi
Hilton is the outlier sadly but not surprisingly given its cheaper than charging at home. you won't find many at that price. even 46p is pretty cheap these days.
It is also one of the few that charges a lower rate at night. My theory is I think they decided to do a trial of lower night rates and got a fixed price deal from a supplier with dual rates before the prices went crazy and have stuck with prices based on that fixed rate ever since. but its only a guess

From the Supercharger page on Tesla.com:
What are the costs of supercharging?

Specific pricing for each Supercharger site is shown on the selected pin’s pop-up on your touchscreen. When your charging session is complete, an estimate of the final charges is shown on the screen. Final invoices are available in your Tesla Account, in the ‘Charging’ section.

Prices may change from time to time. All prices include taxes and fees.

Charging rate is determined by the plug-in time and does not adjust if pricing changes during the charging session. Certain Supercharger stations offer on-peak and off-peak rates. The rates and peak times are both displayed in the navigation application on the touchscreen.

Reactions: MovingSouth