TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Supercharger - Acworth GA

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by tigerade, Jul 19, 2019.

1. M3BlueGeorgia

M3BlueGeorgia Active Member

May I suggest Junction of US1 and I-16

:) :) :)

2. OtisJ

OtisJ Member

If you have a nice location go ahead and compete the request form so Tesla can check it out .

• Funny x 1
  3. M3BlueGeorgia

It is interesting how many Tesla's I see in East Cobb, but we are nowhere near any of the States which encourage BEV ownership.
    The statistic with puts us 2nd is based on CO2 by major city, and I presume we have a lot of long commutes and more people driving down to the beach, which is a long drive from Metro Atlanta.

• Informative x 1
  4. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

That statistic putting us 2nd is completely bogus, IMO. It probably counts cumulative Teslas in Georgia, and while we certainly were cooking along about 4-5 years ago, when the state tax credit still existed, we've slowed down since then (compared to other states; obviously Model 3 sped us up but it sped Tesla up everywhere). The other factor might be relatively high CO2 in our power generation mix, again compared to the west coast states.

Aaaanyway, it's nice to have a surprise location pop up. I'm with the folks here that say Cumberland is a bad location. It's a traffic nightmare -- it once took me 20 minutes from highway exit to mall. Locations farther outside the perimeter, like Acworth and Lithonia, and soon down I-85 south, are where it's at.

Thanks again tigerade for the updates. The next two big milestones to watch for will be A) utility transformer and B) pedestal delivery.

5. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

Not sure if this is good or bad for me.

I "need" the Metter SC (travel south of Savannah several times each year and Airport inconvenient)

I live in Cumberland and want the SC (may need since just sold my house and looking to buy maybe a condo)

Oh well if only we mere mortals could translate Elon time.o_O

6. SoGA Fan Club

SoGA Fan Club Supporting Member

Everyone interested in this thread needs to email Tesla and tell them to add a much better Savannah location. The airport location is ridiculous.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  7. OtisJ

OtisJ Member

User this link to suggest a location Charging Partners | Tesla

8. EnrgyNDpndnce

EnrgyNDpndnce Member

I don’t know man. I mean, this is totally anecdotal, but when I took delivery of my car last October I had multiple employees at the Alpharetta SC tell me (with some measure of pride) that Metro Atlanta is (or was at that time) Tesla’s largest market outside of California. Now maybe GA as a state is not in the top 10 states but certainly Atlanta seems to be an important market for Tesla.

• Like x 1
  9. Logger

Logger Member

We have 2 road trips coming up. One in mid-August and another the last week in October. I'd be pleasantly surprised if this was ready to go in August, but I really hope it's good by October.

10. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

#30 JulienW, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    I got the same kinda general response from the Marietta Service Center. I was just in the back “stealing” WiFi for update and talking. Of course they don’t have access to internal data but……

The app is a Tesla FACT and not 3ed party or speculation. Debating how Tesla calculates it seems like semantics. So if it is number of cars sold, distance of trips or number of Tesla’s on the road it all adds up to the need of more SC and the importance of the ATL/GA market. Also since GA has the largest area to cover in the east (and FACT saves the 2ed MOST CO2) logistics dictate the need for more SC too.

11. lilcutey

lilcutey Member

Question without asking you to give too much away (I hope) on this one. Do they still need suggestions of locations, or is the location chosen and it's just working through the process? Because there's a QT just off the Fairburn exit on I85 that has a Cracker Barrel next door, and a Starbucks and a couple fast food places right across the street and had some available land around it last time I went through.

12. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

From my understanding Tesla doesn't buy or directly rent land. They negotiate for space in already developed parking lots with power close by. May be wrong but don't think thy are into developing raw land much.

• Like x 1
  13. Logger

Logger Member

Traffic at that exit is horrendous. That being said it would be awesome to have one somewhere around I-85 South. There's definitely a lot there food wise at Fairburn. Newnan exit has a good amount as well but I feel it's only slightly less crazy traffic wise than the Fairburn exit.

14. tigerade

tigerade Member

I took some pictures a couple hours ago. 6 of 12 stalls are in!

Attached Files:

• Like x 5
  15. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

Awesome! Those pedestals have been the holdup nationwide.

• Like x 1
  16. OtisJ

OtisJ Member

Thank you,, This location is still not showing as coming soon. I thought Tesla updated their Supercharger map :(

17. M3BlueGeorgia

But that makes up for the "coming soon" locations which aren't. :)

However, Tesla will be good at adding it once it is activated.

• Like x 1
  18. M3BlueGeorgia

I just checked it out yesterday afternoon. Still 6 pedestals installed and the area is clearly under construction.

Confirm that its a good location, close to I-75.

19. RTPEV

RTPEV Member

NONE of the Sheetz locations in NC and VA that are getting or recently got Superchargers were ever on the Tesla "coming soon" map. They have come as a complete surprise. I think this may represent a turning point where it's not Tesla that's initiating the siting of Superchargers, but rather the hosts. Maybe the same is true at this site.

• Like x 1
  20. Logger

Logger Member

I sure hope more hosts are reaching out requesting it. I've tried speaking with multiple businesses ranging from local reception hall venues to hotels to movie theaters. Installing these chargers, or just a level 2 charger, doesn't seem to require much maintenance. For the Superchargers it even seems as though Tesla supports it. This in turn puts your business above any other venues who don't have them. It only costs when people use them and as more and more EVs hit the road people are more likely to use your business if they can charge up while traveling. This is especially true in the middle of America. I think certain businesses don't see the shift coming or don't want to put up any costs in the front end. I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to get EV chargers at my workplace. We have them installed at the corporate location, but they won't install them anywhere else.