Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger attendant suggests throttling occuring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I mentioned in a different thread, I charged there on June 24, around lunch time. There was a 30 minute wait for an open charger so I struck up a conversation with the attendant -- a college-aged kid. I specifically asked if he worked for the mall or for Tesla and he said he was a Tesla employee. He indicated that the mall contained a fitness center and many times the chargers were filled by locals who were working out. His job was to politely remind users that SC's are needed by travelers who are passing thru.

I'm wondering in what way someone like that can enforce "30-minute" rule... I mean, you are not giving this person your fob, and he/she has no authority to have your car towed, etc. In addition, how would they determine that you are not actually using SpC for long distance travel even if you have CA plates?
I think there is also such attendant at the Mountain View SpC. Their presence might deter some locals from abusing the system, but not likely IMO.

I'm wondering in what way someone like that can enforce "30-minute" rule...
This is a very common approach. People will often conform just because they think someone is watching. Just having a guy there in a Tesla shirt probably scares off most ICEing attempts without even words being exchanged. Likewise, if the valet TELLS me there's a 30-minute limit when I arrive, I'll feel like a schmuck if I overstay, I might even worry that they would tow me if I wasn't sure of their authority.

This is a very common approach. People will often conform just because they think someone is watching. Just having a guy there in a Tesla shirt probably scares off most ICEing attempts without even words being exchanged. Likewise, if the valet TELLS me there's a 30-minute limit when I arrive, I'll feel like a schmuck if I overstay, I might even worry that they would tow me if I wasn't sure of their authority.

Not sure when this has started happening, but I've never seen an attendant there (charged a few times there on the weekends to support long distance trips). Will see if this helps, hopefully it would with overall stalls availability and SpC etiquette education.

.................... In addition, how would they determine that you are not actually using SpC for long distance travel even if you have CA plates?............................

^^^^^ THIS. I am NOT in CA but plan to use my LOCAL dealer's SC's to max up/top off before a long trip. I do not have super/fast at home and even though doing a charge seemingly local, I may be headed out for a near max run and want to be at or near 100%. How can someone sitting/minding the SC's know what my plans are? He/she could very well ask, but I'd be inclined to ask "why" and "who" wants/needs to know? My Sales rep said they expected locals to use and top off before long trips. My SC's don't have a human watchdog, but maybe they should. They are in a industrial area, semi-close to where I'd not just be hanging out at late hours from a safety standpoint. :oops:

^^^^^ THIS. I am NOT in CA but plan to use my LOCAL dealer's SC's to max up/top off before a long trip. I do not have super/fast at home and even though doing a charge seemingly local, I may be headed out for a near max run and want to be at or near 100%. How can someone sitting/minding the SC's know what my plans are? He/she could very well ask, but I'd be inclined to ask "why" and "who" wants/needs to know? My Sales rep said they expected locals to use and top off before long trips. My SC's don't have a human watchdog, but maybe they should. They are in a industrial area, semi-close to where I'd not just be hanging out at late hours from a safety standpoint. :oops:

Exactly, but it might deter some abusers, as it was suggested, so I welcome it. Will I answer questions about my destination, home location, etc.? Probably with "none of your biz"...

I stopped by the San Mateo supercharger today and chatted with the Tesla rep that's assigned to the location. It was like a full service gas station btw, I pulled in, and there was a Tesla capped gentleman putting the charger into my car. So we got to talking and I asked why this time I was getting around 250 miles per hour charge, and last time I was there I only got around 125 miles per hour charge. BTW, in Tahoe I've gotten up to 360 miles per charge so I was curious why all the different numbers.

He basically confirmed tha Tesla throttles customers that are topping off. If you head to the supercharger with an 80% full battery, you are effectively using the Supercharger to save charging at home. Tesla knows this and throttles the speed at which you can charge to discourage this behavior and save energy/spaces for traveling customers. Today I showed up with 1/3 full, aprox. 100 miles left and received a strong 250 miles per hour charge.

He also confirmed that the superchargers are capable of up to aprox. 370 miles per hour.

I know there are a lot of threads out there focused on the physics of charging an almost full battery, but the entire conversation today was around policy and not science.

Anyone else aware of this? or have had similar conversations with Tesla directly?

Sorry, but the hourly "gas station attendant" Tesla employee (probably a contract employee) you talked to doesn't know what he/she is talking about, and is just making crap up. Tapering is 100% technical in nature. Tesla is not throttling people. Doing so would be anti-productive. The peak power limiting that is taking place in California is likely by request of the utility companies, to which Tesla agreed to by contract in order to obtain preferential pricing.

Reactions: TexasEV
Why is there even a Tesla attendant at the supercharger in the first place?!?
This is Tesla's pilot Valet service. They are offering it at highly congested supercharger locations throughout California. I've been to a few of the locations and think it's a great benefit.

They maintain a wait list if there is a line for charging. It keeps the peace.

I think they should roll this out at other high traffic locations.

Reactions: Ashkenaz
This is Tesla's pilot Valet service. They are offering it at highly congested supercharger locations throughout California. I've been to a few of the locations and think it's a great benefit.

They maintain a wait list if there is a line for charging. It keeps the peace.

I think they should roll this out at other high traffic locations.
Exactly the same is done at the European HQ, SeC and SuC in Amsterdam.
This location is permanently in the worldwide top-10 SuC sites by usage.
Being near to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, this location gets a lot of traffic from the taxi's licenced to operate there.
The dedicated employee is the kindest guy, but still does a good job at keeping everbody on their best behaviour. (There's a 40 minute maximum on the 10 SuC stalls there, but some additional Type 2 chargers available as well.)
The Amsterdam situation will improve in the near future, as a new location with 6 stalls is foreseen at the Schiphol airport.

^^^^^ THIS. I am NOT in CA but plan to use my LOCAL dealer's SC's to max up/top off before a long trip. I do not have super/fast at home and even though doing a charge seemingly local, I may be headed out for a near max run and want to be at or near 100%.
1. You do not have a LOCAL dealer or any dealer. Tesla does not have dealerships. It has stores and service centers.
2. No one has anything close to supercharging at home, but if you charge at home you can charge to 100% at home. Waiting at a supercharger for the car to top off at 100% will be very slow and generally a poor use of time.

Reactions: PaulusdB
if I need 60 minutes of charge I am staying 60 minutes.

I'm wondering in what way someone like that can enforce "30-minute" rule... I mean, you are not giving this person your fob, and he/she has no authority to have your car towed, etc. In addition, how would they determine that you are not actually using SpC for long distance travel even if you have CA plates?
I think there is also such attendant at the Mountain View SpC. Their presence might deter some locals from abusing the system, but not likely IMO.

AP/Summon and firmware updates... In principle, and AP car could be taught to stop charging after a time limit and then move out of the space after being unplugged using Summon under some sort of Tesla site authorization to a waiting area.

Tesla could teach all of the cars to stop charging after 30 minutes if they wanted to, but it wouldn't reduce clutter unless folks come back to the cars (or the cars can move aside as proposed above,) and it would annoy a lot of people.

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677
AP/Summon and firmware updates... In principle, and AP car could be taught to stop charging after a time limit and then move out of the space after being unplugged using Summon under some sort of Tesla site authorization to a waiting area.

Tesla could teach all of the cars to stop charging after 30 minutes if they wanted to, but it wouldn't reduce clutter unless folks come back to the cars (or the cars can move aside as proposed above,) and it would annoy a lot of people.

Oh, I thought we were discussing situations in real life and not science fiction... :) I mean we can come up with 100 hypothetical scenarios for future use, but I was wondering about today and now. Attendant being a potential deterrent to abusers and "peace keeper" to others by providing order in the waiting line is good enough reason for me today.

Oh, I thought we were discussing situations in real life and not science fiction... :) I mean we can come up with 100 hypothetical scenarios for future use, but I was wondering about today and now. Attendant being a potential deterrent to abusers and "peace keeper" to others by providing order in the waiting line is good enough reason for me today.

As I think you're aware, right now there's nothing the attendant can do if the owner doesn't come back except call and have someone towed.

I don't think what I'm describing is SF, though - with the tools Tesla has available they could roll something like what I described out by firmware update tomorrow, if they chose to. There's certainly some software work they'd have to do and some work on the sites for waiting areas, but all of that could be happening without our knowledge.

Somewhere in between is an update that starts sending reminder notifications to owners on their cell phones after they've had a certain amount of charge time when folks are waiting.

that sort of limitation scheme would be a huge detriment to the program. when on trips I sometimes need more than 30 minutes of charging to reach my next stop. you are correct that this would annoy many if not most owners.

As I think you're aware, right now there's nothing the attendant can do if the owner doesn't come back except call and have someone towed.

I don't think what I'm describing is SF, though - with the tools Tesla has available they could roll something like what I described out by firmware update tomorrow, if they chose to. There's certainly some software work they'd have to do and some work on the sites for waiting areas, but all of that could be happening without our knowledge.

Somewhere in between is an update that starts sending reminder notifications to owners on their cell phones after they've had a certain amount of charge time when folks are waiting.

I'm not sure these attendants can tow your car... Based on what?

Such solutions will need to work for all possible cars Tesla has out there that use SpC, and many don't have the necessary hardware, as I'm sure you know. And there are other aspect like availability of empty "staging" spots in the same parking lot, etc.
Notifications already are popping up in the Tesla app when charging is nearing completion (at least for me it does so).

I mean these are all interesting ideas, no doubt...