Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger attendant suggests throttling occuring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that sort of limitation scheme would be a huge detriment to the program. when on trips I sometimes need more than 30 minutes of charging to reach my next stop. you are correct that this would annoy many if not most owners.

I'm not the one proposing the 30 minute charging rule - Tesla has apparently already done that for this location due to overcrowding. I'm just proposing ways that limit could be made to work, rather than being words that only the folks who weren't problems in the first place obey. Your annoyance is misdirected.

I'm not sure these attendants can tow your car... Based on what?

Such solutions will need to work for all possible cars Tesla has out there that use SpC, and many don't have the necessary hardware, as I'm sure you know. And there are other aspect like availability of empty "staging" spots in the same parking lot, etc.
Notifications already are popping up in the Tesla app when charging is nearing completion (at least for me it does so).

I mean these are all interesting ideas, no doubt...

Presumably the parking spaces are marked 30 minute parking only? If not, there would be no basis for towing. If so, it's the same as any other parking violation.

I'm not the one proposing the 30 minute charging rule - Tesla has apparently already done that for this location due to overcrowding. I'm just proposing ways that limit could be made to work, rather than being words that only the folks who weren't problems in the first place obey. Your annoyance is misdirected.
the same response would be directed at tesla, their valet or anyone else attempted to limit my access to a SpC when I am in need of a charge.
the only thing like this that I would support is the removal of cars that are parked at a charging slot that is not charging.

I recall reading recently in another supercharger thread that looking behind the wall at the local supercharger it seemed as if the air intake on the transformers was filthy and had never been cleaned, or at least not recently. Could poor ventilation be causing the transformers to over heat and reduce output? Id assume tesla has someone tasked to maintaining there superchargers but if not Tesla might need to go service all there supercharger stations in Southern California for example due to all the fires and ash we have had recently...

Presumably the parking spaces are marked 30 minute parking only? If not, there would be no basis for towing. If so, it's the same as any other parking violation.

I'm sorry, but I'll believe it when I see it... I don't think Tesla would be towing customers cars.
I think having such person to give friendly reminders to ppl to only charge what they need will make a decent impact without dealing with potentially distressed customers whose cars got pulled away after 30 minutes (no matter what is posted at the chargers). That's obviously IMHO.

Reactions: PaulusdB
I'm sorry, but I'll believe it when I see it... I don't think Tesla would be towing customers cars.
I think having such person to give friendly reminders to ppl to only charge what they need will make a decent impact without dealing with potentially distressed customers whose cars got pulled away after 30 minutes (no matter what is posted at the chargers). That's obviously IMHO.

I would certainly agree that towing customers is not something Tesla wants to do, and not their first choice. You asked what Tesla could do today, and that's what they could do. I don't really expect it to happen, but assuming they marked the spaces to match their 30 minute rule, they could.

I would certainly agree that towing customers is not something Tesla wants to do, and not their first choice. You asked what Tesla could do today, and that's what they could do. I don't really expect it to happen, but assuming they marked the spaces to match their 30 minute rule, they could.
No, I asked what this attendant can do, not what Tesla as a company could do. How do you imagine this towing goes then? Anyone can put on Tesla cap, call towing service and you think they would just comply with such request?
Most of these parking lots are leased by Tesla as far as I know, so the authority to tow cars would be on representative of an entity that manages or owns that property. The signs "30-minute limit" are not legally obligating as far as I know, nor have any reference to the local law or regulation.
It's neither here, nor there anyway, so we can agree to disagree. I still think attendants are there to help release some frustration and manage situation at crowded SpC, not to enforce some fuzzy set rules.

... Most of these parking lots are leased by Tesla as far as I know, so the authority to tow cars would be on representative of an entity that manages or owns that property. ...
If Tesla decided they wanted to be able to tow, all of that could be easily handled. Just change the signs and have the ownership designate the Tesla employee as their agent for this purpose. It's done all the time so that the owner of a store can have cars towed in their landlord's parking lot. Easy-Peasy Lemon Squeesy... I'm sure that will never happen, though.

P.S. AndreSF, it's just sad to downrate posts for disagreeing with you.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Saghost and AndreSF
No, I asked what this attendant can do, not what Tesla as a company could do. How do you imagine this towing goes then? Anyone can put on Tesla cap, call towing service and you think they would just comply with such request?
Most of these parking lots are leased by Tesla as far as I know, so the authority to tow cars would be on representative of an entity that manages or owns that property. The signs "30-minute limit" are not legally obligating as far as I know, nor have any reference to the local law or regulation.
It's neither here, nor there anyway, so we can agree to disagree. I still think attendants are there to help release some frustration and manage situation at crowded SpC, not to enforce some fuzzy set rules.
I would believe that the "majority" of Tesla owners would oblige the attendants. For goodness sake the car costs over $60K. Some of you know what I'm talking about. For those that don't....please move on to another post.

If Tesla decided they wanted to be able to tow, all of that could be easily handled. Just change the signs and have the ownership designate the Tesla employee as their agent for this purpose. It's done all the time so that the owner of a store can have cars towed in their landlord's parking lot. Easy-Peasy Lemon Squeesy... I'm sure that will never happen, though.

I agree with the downrating part. That's childish.

Not for disagreeing with me, of course. For content of your post. The fact that you think that someone downgrades your posts for simply not agreeing with your point on an internet forum, is silly.
There are so many implications in what you are suggesting Tesla can just pick up and start doing, that I don't want to waste time answering such argument. If you have proof Tesla has done something like that or even considering, I'm all ears...

this would be in conflict with the free charging pledge from tesla. sorry to say but these time limiting schemes are a fail.

There is an etiquette to charging that some people are selfishly ignoring. If someone is on a road trip and can't go any further, then they should be let in by locals and the like. Its like golf....there are unwritten etiquette rules that would kill the game if it were only occupied by the selfish.

I find it to be just a pitiful shame that we need so many rules and so many rules enforced. People just don't care about each other anymore.

Not for disagreeing with me, of course. For content of your post. The fact that you think that someone downgrades your posts for simply not agreeing with your point on an internet forum, is silly.
There are so many implications in what you are suggesting Tesla can just pick up and start doing, that I don't want to waste time answering such argument. If you have proof Tesla has done something like that or even considering, I'm all ears...
I would just not answer. Let it go.

Why not? Celebrities on talk shows opine idiotically on all sorts of subjects from diets, to vaccination to politics.
If the geniuses in this forum don't understand how it works, then how can anyone expect Tesla employees to know how it works?

Because as we all know...every person in this forum is on the Tesla board and spends countless hours with Elon so that they know exactly what he's thinking.

That's why I love this forum soooooo much. There is so much truth and reality here.