Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger attendant suggests throttling occuring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No secret handshakes, H.
Just the usual protocols. :)
image.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
No secret handshakes, H.
Just the usual protocols. :)
View attachment 190561

Not sure what all I'm seeing but, I like seeing the Mac, looks like a Raspberry pie/Adrino possibly in the mix, and all sorts of other "collection apperatti". Not sure what you are up to but it looks interesting none the less. Missing passenger seat so whatever you are doing looks serious! If you find the secret fountain of youth or whatever for the car, please do tell. ;)

the etiquette is first come first served. the problems are caused by people who use the SpC as a primary source of energy and people who leave their cars at a SpC when their charging is complete.
First come first served is not etiquette. That's the norm.

If we can't tell the difference between the norm and etiquette........that's why the world is in the predicament its in.

In a later post I reworded a bit. I should not have meant top off. I should have said I needed more range for as long trip than I could have gotten at home and spending perhaps double the time or excess. "Topping off" I know is not good for the battery, but if you are headed for a max range trip (and you were not able to do this at home for some reason), getting near say 90% at a SC quickly makes sense to me.
Okay, I understand, thanks. As you get more experienced with the car and with charging I think you will find that you can plan your home charging so that you have the "max range" you need before a long trip without having to visit a Tesla Supercharger or the HPWCs at a Tesla Showroom or Service Center.

I assume everyone knows what "scientific battery throttling" is. Everyone's charging will get throttled by physics anyway. Batteries charged to 90% won't charge as fast as batteries at 10% because electrons will not move into a charged environment as fast as an empty environment.

1) semantics. To the casual observer it is a dealer. They have cars on lot to buy, a showroom, sales people, and service. Call it by its official name if you must, but it "looks" from the outside just like the BMW or Porsche dealer down the street.

2) Obviously I nor anyone has a SC at home, although some have dual or chargers up to 100A. I do not. I have far less. I guess I shouldn't have used the term "top off" as what I meant was, I was about to embark on a long journey needing maximum range and had I not been able to charge at home or I was say at below 50%, using the Tesla store's SC makes sense.
1. It's not semantics, it's an entirely different business model that distinguishes Tesla from all other car manufacturers. One of the best things about Tesla is buying directly, without having to go through the auto dealer cartel. People are so used to going to a dealership as the only way to buy a car that they use the word dealership to mean "the place that sells cars". Tesla and its owners are telling our state legislators that there is a better way, or at least a different way that should be allowed to compete with the auto dealer cartel. So when a Tesla owner, of all people, refers to a Tesla "dealership", it sets back our cause besides being really grating to the ears.

2. If you install a 14-50 outlet at home you will always start the day with a full charge. You don't need a HPWC for that.

I can't believe we are talking about this. Tesla towing Teslas. The only thing Tesla could possibly get out of this is negative press.

Lesson for all of the kids in here - Just because you CAN do something does not mean that you should.
I didn't make a comment on whether Tesla should do this. I only wanted to clarify that under California law, a parking attendant that Tesla hired is authorized to tow vehicles for violating the conditions of posted parking signs, contrary to what @AndreSF suggested.

I didn't make a comment on whether Tesla should do this. I only wanted to clarify that under California law, a parking attendant that Tesla hired is authorized to tow vehicles for violating the conditions of posted parking signs, contrary to what @AndreSF suggested.

Thanks for posting the link, which clarifies a few points for sure. However, you actually proved my point that currently these attendants can't easily initiate towing. But really the point is moot, as Tesla would not tow customers cars, which was the main point I was conveying.

The attendants there now can do nothing. They can't have the vehicles towed (which would be tremendously bad press) nor can they move the vehicles themselves. They're there purely to let people know there's someone there to hopefully encourage people to move their cars in a reasonable time and to provide an official looking person to manage any queues to keep owners from getting pissed at each other. Hopefully this works well enough to keep entitled people from abusing superchargers by using them as a parking spot, because if it doesn't then This is why I think Tesla will eventually implement time based payment for using a supercharging spot. Maybe they'll be able to use autopilot to Have cars move themselves, but I'm doubtful because that would introduce a whole host of liability problems if a Tesla is damaged while moving itself which seems like a huge headache. Superchargers in busy locations are already having some major issues that'll only get much worse when five times as many cars are on the streets with planned Model III productions schedule.

Not sure what all I'm seeing but, I like seeing the Mac, looks like a Raspberry pie/Adrino possibly in the mix, and all sorts of other "collection apperatti". Not sure what you are up to but it looks interesting none the less. Missing passenger seat so whatever you are doing looks serious! If you find the secret fountain of youth or whatever for the car, please do tell. ;)
That is not my car, H. Just a random picture to illustrate that the car has no secret handshakes, but uses standard protocols.

There was a time in my life where MY TIME was more important than anyone else's. I would have a tailor come to me to fit shirts/suits. When I looked at the cost of me leaving the office and waiting at the local store to buy rack clothes - well, MY TIME was important and I could justify the service. I can understand pulling into a stall and demanding a full 60 minutes of charge, because damnit MY TIME and travel are more important than anyone else- they can just wait until I'm damn good and ready to move on. I remember those times when I felt that important - and selfish. Now, I'd try to be more measured. If a long-distance fellow needed a bit more, if there was a way to be gracious, I'd do it. I feel ashamed that my previous ego trips may have looked to tailors (et al) like the entitled selfish SC hogs look to me now.

There was a time in my life where MY TIME was more important than anyone else's. I would have a tailor come to me to fit shirts/suits. When I looked at the cost of me leaving the office and waiting at the local store to buy rack clothes - well, MY TIME was important and I could justify the service. I can understand pulling into a stall and demanding a full 60 minutes of charge, because damnit MY TIME and travel are more important than anyone else- they can just wait until I'm damn good and ready to move on. I remember those times when I felt that important - and selfish. Now, I'd try to be more measured. If a long-distance fellow needed a bit more, if there was a way to be gracious, I'd do it. I feel ashamed that my previous ego trips may have looked to tailors (et al) like the entitled selfish SC hogs look to me now.
calling someone who needs a 60 minute charge in order to continue a trip selfish or hogs, really? it's nice that you're so gracious with your time, but trying to impose your cavalier attitude towards time upon others in my opinion is just a bit too arrogant. I'm curious, by what measure would someone else's need to charge get you to unplug and vacate so someone else could complete their charge? your ego issues aren't everyone's issues. and based on this comment, you seem to still some adjustments in that area.

• Disagree
Reactions: deonb and SOLARUSA
calling someone who needs a 60 minute charge in order to continue a trip selfish or hogs, really? it's nice that you're so gracious with your time, but trying to impose your cavalier attitude towards time upon others in my opinion is just a bit too arrogant. I'm curious, by what measure would someone else's need to charge get you to unplug and vacate so someone else could complete their charge? your ego issues aren't everyone's issues. and based on this comment, you seem to still some adjustments in that area.
Wow - you saw yourself in my self awareness trip. hmmm. Defensive a bit? Cavalier and arrogant for trying to be sensitive to others needs/wants?
When I am in a grocery store check out line - and I have a full cart and its my turn - if there is someone with only an item or two, I let them in. Don't have to ----its MY turn and obviously I need everything in the cart. But I don't even have to talk to the fellow with just a few things. If it is a lady with a crying baby and is rattled and trying to hold it together - I can wait. The other anonymous cart-slots may never know I let the store quiet down and did a nice thing.
I don't always need to be first in line (anymore). There were days when my fast car would edge out others in front of the traffic light, in the fast lane on the highway. Now, give a little, and get a whole lot more back.

The attendants there now can do nothing. They can't have the vehicles towed (which would be tremendously bad press) nor can they move the vehicles themselves. They're there purely to let people know there's someone there to hopefully encourage people to move their cars in a reasonable time and to provide an official looking person to manage any queues to keep owners from getting pissed at each other. Hopefully this works well enough to keep entitled people from abusing superchargers by using them as a parking spot, because if it doesn't then This is why I think Tesla will eventually implement time based payment for using a supercharging spot. Maybe they'll be able to use autopilot to Have cars move themselves, but I'm doubtful because that would introduce a whole host of liability problems if a Tesla is damaged while moving itself which seems like a huge headache. Superchargers in busy locations are already having some major issues that'll only get much worse when five times as many cars are on the streets with planned Model III productions schedule.
Or maybe..just maybe...Tesla could install more chargers there. It might be cheaper to install more chargers than to pay attendants to stand around and direct/deter traffic.

Reactions: SOLARUSA
Wow - you saw yourself in my self awareness trip. hmmm. Defensive a bit? Cavalier and arrogant for trying to be sensitive to others needs/wants?
When I am in a grocery store check out line - and I have a full cart and its my turn - if there is someone with only an item or two, I let them in. Don't have to ----its MY turn and obviously I need everything in the cart. But I don't even have to talk to the fellow with just a few things. If it is a lady with a crying baby and is rattled and trying to hold it together - I can wait. The other anonymous cart-slots may never know I let the store quiet down and did a nice thing.
I don't always need to be first in line (anymore). There were days when my fast car would edge out others in front of the traffic light, in the fast lane on the highway. Now, give a little, and get a whole lot more back.
Good post. Its called ethics and its good to hear that some people still have some.

The main problem to me is that unethical behavior isn't illegal. You can have as much unethics as you want and walk around free as a bird. Well .... not for long. (some people understand what "not for long" means....and to this group I say Praise God.)

I say treat people the way you would want people to treat you. Do unto others the way that you would have them do unto you....or maybe your mother.
There is no crime in being unethical....only for a little while though.

• Disagree
Reactions: deonb and SOLARUSA
Good for you. That's good to hear.

Some people in here are STILL the way you used to be. Its unfortunate, but it won't last forever.

Just to remind all you people arguing about proper behavior at superchargers, when it becomes necessary Tesla can implement any protocol they want to. They know everything. They control everything.
- they know if you're in the middle of a trip and (usually) where you are headed
- they know where you live
- they know your charging patterns
- they know exactly how often you charge unnecessarily at local chargers
- they know how busy the charger is currently
- they know how many cars are on their way to the charger and what their state of charge is
- they control how fast (and whether) the chargers will charge your car
- they control whether you can even drive into a charger space
- they control whether you have to stay with your car to have it charge
- they control how much they charge your on file credit card when they charge your car
- they control your car's response to auto-park and summon
- they control whether your car can be unplugged regardless of whether the key fob is present

Just about the only relevant thing Tesla doesn't control right now is physically plugging in and unplugging your car. Perhaps they'll solve that with robots, or with replacing the supercharger infrastructure with inductive chargers that don't require direct connection. Maybe they'll just post valets at troublesome locations -- that's a fairly cheap solution while the tech is under development. I don't pretend to know.

It's pretty clear to me that when this becomes a big issue they can selectively implement whatever protocols they like. For the 95% of superchargers where there's no problem they can just leave things alone. And for exceptional cases, they can always provide a nice big button on the screen saying "If you think we've messed up in your case, just press here to talk to a person...." Then you can tell them that there's electrical work being done at your place and so it's necessary that you charge at the supercharger for a few days. But they'll have a pretty good idea that you're lying when you try that excuse more than a few times.

There are so many options for Tesla with regards to supercharger congestion that it's just not a real long-term problem. Right now, with just a couple of small software changes they could implement the following solution:
- if you're local, you are restricted to stalls 1A and 1B at busy times (other stalls just don't work for you)
- if you wish to use a different stall, the cost is $5 (or whatever) to your card on file
- if you are at the beginning or end of a long trip and the charging is necessary then the charge is refunded
- if you overstay, the cost is $1 per minute (or whatever) to your card on file
Many other approaches could work too. This is just an example.

Reactions: SOLARUSA