TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla supercharger available slot accuracy?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Rlhm3, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Rlhm3

Rlhm3 Member

#1 Rlhm3, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    On my drive back to Ottawa from Toronto last night I had to stop at the Kingston supercharger. It was strange because as I was driving I kept checking once in a while to see how many available slots there were and it showed full. As I got closer to Kingston it finally showed 1 empty so I was happy but when I got there only 1 Model X was charging yet my screen still showed that all were occupied.

I'm wondering, can we rely on the built-in lightning bolt supercharger availability information?

2. darkenergy

darkenergy Member

For what it's worth, thanks for that info. I was coincidently looking at Kingston about 5pm yesterday and it showed as full for me. Now I'm getting nervous about trusting those projections.

• Like x 1
  3. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Call and report it so it can be fixed. Don't complain here and expect any action!!

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. SluyterCapital

In some cases it is not reliable. The problem is you never know until you show up. The lack of accuracy makes the feature somewhat unreliable an in my opinion useless.

• Like x 1
  5. sakimano

sakimano Active Member

Same at Belleville. Showed 10 busy, but none were. Checked it both times I was there and it's way off.

Apparently the chargers aren't communicating with the network so it causes a problem. Report it to tesla.

6. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

Do the SC take into account Cars Enroute to them as well as cars there when displaying their capacity? I thought that was implemented, but I can’t find any mention of it.

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

No.

8. Zirak

Zirak Member

Maybe you were reading the available charging stations in reverse? It would then make sense with your scenario, as if it was showing 1 "empty" and 1 was parked, then you may have misread it?

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

#9 Lloyd, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    IMG_0408.jpg IMG_0409.jpg IMG_0409.jpg see photos this am.

IMG_0408.jpg IMG_0409.jpg

10. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Its never been very accurate, however I've only ever seen it say a site was fuller than it actually is. Since its always conservative, there should always be a spot if it says there is and you can count on it. The only issue is that you might end up skipping a site thinking it was full when it wasn't.

11. Rlhm3

Rlhm3 Member

I questioned myself at the time especially since it was my first experience with a Tesla and superchargers. So, I pressed on the icon to get the full details where it said "X of X stalls available". Turns out I was reading it right.

12. sakimano

sakimano Active Member

They often overstate if anything, so why would this make you nervous?

Also, if you get there and it's full you won't have to wait too long (10-15 minutes in theory) for one to open up so either just wait or go to the next supercharger

Someone will say 'but if I don't have time I can't wait' to which I will say leave ten minutes early. It's an electric car.

13. XHabjab

XHabjab Helping to end the ICE Age

If a charger/stall is down for some reason (popped breaker, electrical failure, …) it can show as either available or unavailable, depending on the phase of the moon.

14. ai4px

ai4px Member

Columbia SC Supercharger shows 2 stalls always in use... turns out 3a and 3b are out of service, and those show as "busy". But if the nav system shows a slot open, you can count on that. Since I'm still relatively new with Tesla, I love the opportunity to talk to another tesla person at the SC and them showing stalls as in use makes me get excited for nothing... silly I know... my wife gives me a hard time about it as well.

• Funny x 1