TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Supercharger Golden Spike

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Curt Renz, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

The ceremony for the Tesla Supercharger Golden Spike connecting the nation for recharging its cars will draw a huge amount of favorable publicity for the company, its cars and its stock. That could occur any day now. Any guesses as to the location?

2. Clprenz

Clprenz Member

#2 Clprenz, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    Link for such a thing? I just read the Article on CNBC with the similar title. Really interesting; Tesla's golden spike: Coast to coast, no gas but its from september

3. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

Link to Supercharger map: Supercharger | Tesla Motors

The company is announcing new stations almost every day. From the look of the map the cross country route is nearly complete.

The company has not yet announced a ceremony or use of the term Golden Spike. But some of us have put two and two together and assumed this will be the case. If not, jaws will drop.

4. 772

772 Member

I think it's a race between Cheyenne, WY and Cranberry Twp, PA... based on what I've read, Cranberry Twp, PA will probably be the final one in that route.

5. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Yesterday Tesla announced opening events for the 4 superchargers in Germany, to be held one month after they went operational. :confused:
    I hope they hit the ball much better with a golden spike event.

How is current weather in Wyoming, does it allow construction work in Cheyenne? Polar vortex gone?

6. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

I remember elon at one point talking about employees getting excited about the rout and comparing it to the transcontinental railroad and golden spike. He said months ago that they were all speculating where it would be. They are aware and waiting the best opportune moment

7. Lessmog

Lessmog Member

Another resource, the teslawiki. Zooming in as far as it goes on the Cranberry, PA work symbol, just east of the orange cone on the Residence Inn (satellite view) I see a car that looks a little bit like a white Model S. Can it really be? Also, at the SE corner is a box-like structure that might be part of the construction taking place, only it looks like only about 3 spaces wide.

Wouldn't it be fun if the Google snap caught the actual action? :) Except no snow. Well, just guessing anyway. Can't make out such detail for Cheyenne, WY.

8. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

The SpC site for Cranberry Twp is in the SW corner of the Residence Inn lot. The structure in the SE corner is a fenced-in are for dumpsters. Currently the Newkirk Electric trailer is parked right next to this. We have pics of it here:

Cranberry, PA Supercharger Location (NW of Pittsburgh) - Page 2

I will update on progress again as soon as anything changes...but definitely hoping Cranberry Twp will be the Golden Spike!

9. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

#9 stevezzzz, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

Cheyenne avoided the worst of the polar vortex and the weather has been pretty benign the last few weeks, with highs above 0° most days. But when I was on site early last week there was no construction activity and the power transformer hadn't been delivered yet. The rest of the site was complete, though, as far I could see. As of this morning, the Cheyenne page on Tesla's website still redirects to the Europe map, so my guess is we won't see it go on line this week.

10. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Thinking about the USofA in such Atlantic-Pacific terms is soooooo 19th century.

And I'm not being facetious, even if I have my own axe to grind here.

I'll countenance a Golden Spike when and only when Tesla opens a SpC route enabling one to drive from Key West FL to Fairbanks AK. THAT​ is the 21st century equivalent of your discussion.

11. napabill

napabill Active Member

In my view, the Golden Spike should be at a point where an east coast contingent meets a west coast contingent, both have left at the same time. That would more truly reflect the history of the golden spike and would give a better photo op (2 Teslas, nose to nose, from each coast.) Having it at the last SC completed doesn't seem reflective of the past.

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Well, Tesla's really doing LA to Chicago, Chicago to DC so it's not so much the cross-country route as a pair of routes that connect across the country.

While I also think it would be great for Tesla eventually to put Superchargers everywhere, including BC-YT-AK, I do think it's worth celebrating because it's such a powerful symbol of not just what they're doing, but how they're doing it.

I think that one of the great things about Supercharging is that it isn't quite as fast as refilling your gas tank and it has potential to reinvent the rest area. Rest areas are being closed down, maybe except on toll roads, because GPS has freed people from captivity and Interstate mall areas act as an alternative. But those mall areas aren't for attracting passing travelers. If Gen 3 is realized and volume builds, you could begin to see the emergence of something like a non-predatory airport departure lounge, with small retail and dining, serving people who'll park their car and relax or wander around a little. An additional side-effect is that such an area would be built for pedestrians, because BEVs would be parked to charge and walkable areas can also be served well by public transportation. Then for the small-town stops near highways, there's more interesting potential because these rest-retail-and-restaurant areas can be easier to integrate into the fabric of the town.

Or Tesla and others could fail to make a cheaper long-range BEV and the above is just Utopian nonsense. :p

13. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I am just pleased at the rate that Tesla has been rolling out the SC network. I think they are doing a great job with that aspect of the product marketing.

14. DriverOne

DriverOne Member

What's a "Golden Spike"?

15. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

16. MikeL

MikeL some guy

#16 MikeL, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    Hint: it's on the Utah State Quarter Dollar coin. Texas' has an oil derrick, right? :eek:

Edit: ok, I went & checked. Actually thought it was the Alamo but no. "Lone Star State" w map
    ( ok, enough of that:rolleyes:)

17. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

I think this is a great idea! For some reason, it feels like if we don't celebrate this, Tesla might be too busy to really do it justice and the opportunity might get lost. Curt, tell me where to show up and I'll do my best to get there! :~)

18. wcalvin

wcalvin Member

Southern Wyoming would make sense.

19. caddieo

caddieo Member

#19 caddieo, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    Agreed! Completing both coastal and the northern trans-continent routes just magnifies the gap in the center that hinders a lot of north-south and diagonal traffic, especially from the central and upper Midwest. It would be interesting to find out, via a poll, if most personal car travel is east-west or north-south. I suspect that it is mostly the latter or variations thereof.

20. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Maybe when the last one goes live, we should all flock to our *nearest* Supercharger, and bring local media with us? Kind of like a cross-country Tesla "Flash Mob".