Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger is an illegal monopoly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong. Tesla has a CHAdeMO adapter. I've used one of those before.
The CHAdeMO adapter isn't available anymore and is only limited to 50 kW.

Wrong. Tesla has a CHAdeMO adapter. I've used one of those before. Tesla also has CCS support. I've used that too, with my CCS adapter that is made by Tesla.
Tesla doesn't sell the adapter in North America.

There are several other third party CCS adapter brands because the CCS adapter is just a pin passthrough.

Unofficially import the adapters: yes, if you want OEM equipment. No, if you are willing to settle for third party adapters.
So if the third-party adapter catches on fire (because the manufacturer uses undersized wires) and damages the vehicle, is Tesla going to repair the vehicle for free?

The CHAdeMO adapter isn't available anymore and is only limited to 50 kW.
Irrelevant. It exists. And for those who want faster charging, there is the CCS adapter.
Tesla doesn't sell the adapter in North America.
So? No pin passthrough would work AT ALL if they didn't include CCS protocol support in the charging hardware. And they did include it.
So if the third-party adapter catches on fire (because the manufacturer uses undersized wires) and damages the vehicle, is Tesla going to repair the vehicle for free?
Is Tesla going to repair the vehicle for free if a third party EVSE feeds 800VAC into the OBC? :rolleyes:

Oh, and I've gotta revisit this quote:
Furthermore, Tesla on-board navigation navigates Tesla drivers to the Supercharger instead of other fast chargers.
Look! Look! Look what I made it do!!!

Tesla Nav System Navigating to Electrify America Charger.jpg

Irrelevant. It exists. And for those who want faster charging, there is the CCS adapter.
Irrelevant. It exists doesn't mean that every North American Tesla driver has access to it.

Also, Tesla doesn't even sell CCS adapter in the US.

So? No pin passthrough would work AT ALL if they didn't include CCS protocol support in the charging hardware. And they did include it.

Is Tesla going to repair the vehicle for free if a third party EVSE feeds 800VAC into the OBC? :rolleyes:
So why are you recommending that Tesla drivers use potentially unsafe third-party adapters?

Oh, and I've gotta revisit this quote:

Look! Look! Look what I made it do!!!

View attachment 849165
You can make it navigate to other fast charging stations, but it would automatically navigate to the Supercharger otherwise.

Also, no battery pre-conditioning.

A monopoly perhaps. Illegal? No. Why do they have a monopoly? Because they provide the best experience and they work nearly 100% of the time.

Tesla owners mostly use 3rd party chargers only if they are forced to do so. It would be nice to finally get a US CCS adapter I guess, but for me it is rarely needed, if at all, which is likely why they have never appeared in the US market. If there really is a significant nation-wide price difference (which I doubt) most people would pay it simply for the ease of use and reliability. Pretty much the same reasons people buy and pay more for Tesla Vehicles in the first place. Nothing illegal here - it's called free market competition.

Tesla prevents Tesla drivers (who are the majority of BEV drivers) from fast charging elsewhere other than the Supercharger.

(Tesla drivers who want to fast charge elsewhere need to unofficially import the adapters and possibly retrofit the ChargePort ECU on their vehicles.)

Furthermore, Tesla on-board navigation navigates Tesla drivers to the Supercharger instead of other fast chargers.

As a result, Tesla can charge whichever rate it wants, and Tesla drivers are forced to pay because of the lack of alternatives.

By denying Tesla drivers the ability to use public fast charging networks, Tesla also denies the operators of those networks the critical fund needed to install and maintain their equipment.

The result is higher charging rates for Tesla drivers and poorer public fast charging infrastructure.
We just don’t want Bolt, Leaf and BZ4X drivers clogging our chargers up more than Uber/Hertz drivers.

• Disagree
Reactions: sorphin and ucmndd
Irrelevant. It exists doesn't mean that every North American Tesla driver has access to it.
Everyone was able to order through Harumio for a certain amount of time. And everyone is able to order third party adapters too.
Also, Tesla doesn't even sell CCS adapter in the US.
So? They wouldn't have even put the protocol capability into the charging hardware if they didn't want people to use adapters, third party or otherwise.
So why are you recommending that Tesla drivers use potentially unsafe third-party adapters?
Did you see me making a recommendation either way? All I was doing was responding to your idiotic comment that you need to import the official one to charge at CCS chargers. You do not.
You can make it navigate to other fast charging stations, but it would automatically navigate to the Supercharger otherwise.

Also, no battery pre-conditioning.
That's the biggest issue. Tesla needs to simply add an option that says "my next stop is a fast charger" and leave it at that. I do not WANT Tesla managing a list of DC fast chargers like it's the authoritative source on where these things are located and which ones are working. The ONLY list of fast chargers Tesla has that they know exist and know the status of at any given time is their own. Having Tesla manage a list of DC fast chargers means that if their database isn't properly linked to whatever third party runs the other network, they could miss a charger or tell you it's operating when it's really not. If you want to use an EA charger, you should use the EA app to find the authoritative list of which ones exist and are operating, then navigate to that address in the car's nav system and check the "my next stop is a fast charger" box for preconditioning. But keep Tesla's buggy software away from the list of third party fast chargers.
...because Tesla uses the Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC) that no one else uses so (North America) Tesla drivers can't anywhere else besides the Supercharger
Connector type is irrelevant. Tesla could use a standard connector and run a proprietary protocol across it, and program its cars and chargers to not respond to anything except its proprietary protocol, so that Tesla drivers can't charge at standard charging stations even if the connector fits. They could also use a proprietary connector and put hardware that responds to standard protocols so that, with a simple pin passthrough adapter, Tesla drivers can charge at standard chargers. If they really wanted to prevent people from charging at third party chargers, they'd do the former. But they have done the latter.

Last edited:
Everyone was able to order through Harumio for a certain amount of time.
Except that it's not available now, and even if it's available some unofficial channels in the future, Tesla might cut that off at any time.

And everyone is able to order third party adapters too.

So? They wouldn't have even put the protocol capability into the charging hardware if they didn't want people to use adapters, third party or otherwise.

Did you see me making a recommendation either way? All I was doing was responding to your idiotic comment that you need to import the official one to charge at CCS chargers. You do not.
Yes, there are third-party adapters available, but you just implied that you don't recommend them.

Connector type is irrelevant. Tesla could use a standard connector and run a proprietary protocol across it, and program its cars and chargers to not respond to anything except its proprietary protocol, so that Tesla drivers can't charge at standard charging stations even if the connector fits. They could also use a proprietary connector and put hardware that responds to standard protocols so that, with a simple pin passthrough adapter, Tesla drivers can charge at standard chargers. If they really wanted to prevent people from charging at third party chargers, they'd do the former. But they have done the latter.
Any way you said it, Tesla locked Tesla drivers from charging elsewhere other than the Supercharger.

Except that it's not available now, and even if it's available some unofficial channels in the future, Tesla might cut that off at any time.
So? Third party adapters are available too, for those who want them.
Yes, there are third-party adapters available, but you just implied that you don't recommend them.
:rolleyes: I am not not recommending them either. I'm simply stating that they exist.
Any way you said it, Tesla locked Tesla drivers from charging elsewhere other than the Supercharger.
Nope.

Tesla Charging at EA.jpg

Tesla Charging at EA Vehicle Screen.jpg

Tesla Charging at EA Charger Display.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.