Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger is an illegal monopoly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla prevents Tesla drivers (who are the majority of BEV drivers) from fast charging elsewhere other than the Supercharger.

(Tesla drivers who want to fast charge elsewhere need to unofficially import the adapters and possibly retrofit the ChargePort ECU on their vehicles.)

Furthermore, Tesla on-board navigation navigates Tesla drivers to the Supercharger instead of other fast chargers.

As a result, Tesla can charge whichever rate it wants, and Tesla drivers are forced to pay because of the lack of alternatives.

By denying Tesla drivers the ability to use public fast charging networks, Tesla also denies the operators of those networks the critical fund needed to install and maintain their equipment.

The result is higher charging rates for Tesla drivers and poorer public fast charging infrastructure.
This is total crap. Anyone that wants to use those horrible unreliable EA stations or any other non Tesla station can just buy any non Tesla vehicle.

There is no monopoly here.

OP is like a troll. Why keep feeding him. He is firmly convinced the network is an illegal monopoly. Let them prove that in a court of law. Otherwise this is torture to watch. Can to; can not. Is too; is not. Says who; says me. It's mine; no it isn't . Blah blah blah😂
In the real world, the court of law means: who can afford the best lawyers.

...and Tesla can sure afford much better lawyers than I can

This would be like arguing Samsung has a monopoly on TVs because their Operating system is proprietary, and some specific application someone wanted only ran on the samsung TV Operating system.

No one is forcing anyone to buy tesla vehicles (there are other choices in EVs

No one is forcing anyone to charge at a supercharger. Unlike a gas car, which has no real way to install "A pump" at home, EVs can be charged at home.

The argument appears to be "Tesla is not selling an adapter in north america so that I can easily fast charge at other stations, this makes it a monopoloy". It would make more sense if the only way to fuel the vehicles at all was a tesla supercharger (it isnt), and there were no other choices in the marketplace for a different vehicle (there are).

With that being said, as I said earlier, this is very (very) obviously a "Lets get the conversation going!!!!" post.

This would be like arguing Samsung has a monopoly on TVs because their Operating system is proprietary, and some specific application someone wanted only ran on the samsung TV Operating system.

No one is forcing anyone to buy tesla vehicles (there are other choices in EVs

No one is forcing anyone to charge at a supercharger. Unlike a gas car, which has no real way to install "A pump" at home, EVs can be charged at home.

The argument appears to be "Tesla is not selling an adapter in north america so that I can easily fast charge at other stations, this makes it a monopoloy". It would make more sense if the only way to fuel the vehicles at all was a tesla supercharger (it isnt), and there were no other choices in the marketplace for a different vehicle (there are).

With that being said, as I said earlier, this is very (very) obviously a "Lets get the conversation going!!!!" post.
A monopoly usually requires that the company has >60% of the market share.

Samsung has a market share of 19.8% of TVs.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and sorphin
Electrify America’s rates are less expensive
This is a good point. I looked it up and in my area, EA sites are $0.01/kWh cheaper than Tesla‘s supercharger sites. I also found a couple of free sites (neither Tesla, nor EA).

A 1 penny difference doesn’t seem to support monopolistic pricing power. And Tesla is still cheaper than many others, and more reliable.

Perhaps you would prefer a larger survey?

This is a good point. I looked it up and in my area, EA sites are $0.01/kWh cheaper than Tesla‘s supercharger sites. I also found a couple of free sites (neither Tesla, nor EA).

A 1 penny difference doesn’t seem to support monopolistic pricing power. And Tesla is still cheaper than many others, and more reliable.

Perhaps you would prefer a larger survey?
In some cases, Electrify America is much cheaper.

Regardless, the issue is Tesla preventing Tesla drivers from fast charging elsewhere other than the Supercharger.

Your point is a good one but seems to then go off about having to purchase another vehicle. Where I live, Tesla SuperChargers are as high as 55c kwh during day hours vs. CCS Fast Chargers at 30c kwh 24 hrs per day. I purchased a new 2022 Tesla with CCS capability vs my old one which does not. But Tesla won't provide me with an adapter. I did buy another EV, but your point is it should be something other than a Tesla? But Tesla indicated my car will Fast Charge at a CCS Fast Charger. I take long trips monthly. It cannot use CCS due at nearly half the price, due to Teslas latest inhibitor. They sell it in S Korea but restrict US shipment

And then there was Elons tweet about SuperCharging never being a profit center. We now know it has a 10% profit target.

Monopolistic no. Fraudulent Marketing, yes. Ethical business practice, defintely not. Customer oriented, most definitely not.

Let's use this example of monopolization from the FTC's website:

Microsoft was found to have a monopoly over operating systems software for IBM-compatible personal computers. Microsoft was able to use its dominant position in the operating systems market to exclude other software developers and prevent computer makers from installing non-Microsoft browser software to run with Microsoft's operating system software. Specifically, Microsoft illegally maintained its operating systems monopoly by including Internet Explorer, the Microsoft Internet browser, with every copy of its Windows operating system software sold to computer makers, and making it technically difficult not to use its browser or to use a non-Microsoft browser.

In the same way, Tesla is using its dominant position in the BEV market to make it difficult to use other fast charging networks with Tesla vehicles.

Let's use this example of monopolization from the FTC's website:

In the same way, Tesla is using its dominant position in the BEV market to make it difficult to use other fast charging networks with Tesla vehicles.
There is a large number of alternative vehicles that are cheaper and which have much better refueling infrastructure. Most people I know have one of those.

I'm also surprised as the suggestion of a BEV monopoly given that I bought a different one, I have colleagues with BEVs and none has a Tesla, one has a non-Tesla on order and friends who are considering BEVs aren't planning on getting Teslas either.

Worst. Monopoly. Ever.

There is a large number of alternative vehicles that are cheaper and which have much better refueling infrastructure. Most people I know have one of those.

I'm also surprised as the suggestion of a BEV monopoly given that I bought a different one, I have colleagues with BEVs and none has a Tesla, one has a non-Tesla on order and friends who are considering BEVs aren't planning on getting Teslas either.

Worst. Monopoly. Ever.
Tesla is, in fact, a monopoly in the BEV market.

Now, being a monopoly in itself is not illegal.

Rather, abusing a monopoly is illegal.

Making it difficult to fast charge at non-Tesla chargers would most certainly be illegal and is similar to the example given by the FTC's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.