Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger M40 Warwick (north bound)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning a route over Christmas . . . . google tells me that there are Tesla Superchargers at the Warwick (north bound) service station on the M40 but going down on google earth (which is dated 2022) does not show any? Are there any there / how many?

According to the Tesla map and website they are there.
1669465588280.png

Off top of my head, that will be where they are. Certainly, to the very left of the facilities which is what that shows. If you get into the main car park, or pass the entrance, you have gone too far.

Quite a busy one I suspect based upon a couple of previous experiences even when much fewer cars on the road.

Zap map says they’re there and shows a picture. I’d guess they’re in the tree line here…..

View attachment 878425

Last edited:
Thanks . . . . . .
does anyone know if the cars have a 'reserve tank' i.e. when it gets down to 60 miles in the tank and the message comes up 'low battery; is there really just 60 miles in the tank or is there some more miles in there in the reserve tank / battery?

• Funny
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Thanks . . . . . .
does anyone know if the cars have a 'reserve tank' i.e. when it gets down to 60 miles in the tank and the message comes up 'low battery; is there really just 60 miles in the tank or is there some more miles in there in the reserve tank / battery?

In short yes. But I wouldn’t venture too far. But you’re reasonably safe getting down to 1 or 2%.

Do you use ABRP? It’s a good tool for planning journeys that factors in loads of stuff.

Reactions: SteveJol
Thanks . . . . . .
Tesla does apparently have a ~2% energy "reserve" to prevent the car from shutting down before you hit zero. This is in addition to the the inaccessible 2% that prevents battery damage. Estimating remaining charge is not an exact science unlike estimating remaining petrol. To answer your question, yes there is. Should you try to use it? No. The car shuts down when the cells hit the minimum voltage. You'll get voltage drop when you hit the accelerator, which can cause a shutdown if the voltage is close to minimum. I believe Tesla added the this buffer when stories of drivers with five miles left on the meter had a shutdown because the BMS wasn't 100% accurate in measuring remaining energy.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
What is the accepted etiquette . . I arrive a the row of chargers, they’re all occupied, only two of the chargers are super chargers (my preferred choice) how do we form a queue; what dictates who is next?

Planning a route over Christmas . . . . google tells me that there are Tesla Superchargers at the Warwick (north bound) service station on the M40 but going down on google earth (which is dated 2022) does not show any? Are there any there / how many?
Used them in August. They are there.
Screenshot_20221126_230506_Maps.jpg

If it looks busy on the map there is always Banbury just to the south which has 12 SuC. 8 Instavolt and 8 Osprey Just off the Motorway.

Reactions: Forty_Two
A dance off is the usual method
But it has to be Together in Electric Dreams.

Despite the fact Moroder had a hand in a V16 super car back in the day…

Seriously having seen how much busier superchargers have got over the few years I’ve been using them, queueing is going to become a MAJOR issue very quickly at all EV Charging stations. If manufacturers do t agree a common software solution (ha!) it’s going to be a Sainsbury’s bakery/ Post Office take a ticket, position number 3 please or very regular fights.

I’ve used them a few times, and lots of other cars drive in as they see gaps only to find one side is superchargers and I think opposite are disabled bays. They then have to turn around to get out, so traffic can get a bit busy. But the area is well served, Hopwood which is not far from the top of the M40 has a massive bank of chargers, then south you have Oxford on the motorway, and fast v3 (I think) chargers at Banbury a short drive off the motorway. You shouldn’t need to even think of needing a reserve in the area as within 40 miles or so there are others.

Reactions: Utumno
On a slightly more serious answer, the tesla owners will generally create an informal queue, park up out of the way, normally there will be someone standing around, you ask how long the queue is, they'll tell you who's ahead of you. Take note, wait until the next person who needs to join the queue arrives, make sure they know you're ahead of them, and then you can wait in the car until you're to the top of the queue.

Generally done in good spirit, everybody is in the same boat

On a slightly more serious answer, the tesla owners will generally create an informal queue, park up out of the way, normally there will be someone standing around, you ask how long the queue is, they'll tell you who's ahead of you. Take note, wait until the next person who needs to join the queue arrives, make sure they know you're ahead of them, and then you can wait in the car until you're to the top of the queue.

Generally done in good spirit, everybody is in the same boat
The superchargers are generally in the far reaches of the carparks so there are usually free spaces opposite or around them. If there are any Tesla's in those spaces with people in them then they are probably waiting. Warwick is laid out like that. So I imagine it would be pretty easy to figure out who is waiting if anyone.