Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think so... I doubt any of the solar installation is pegged against that at all. After all, Tesla still has to make SolarCity whole, they can't force SolarCity to take a loss. As a result, there's a limit to discount on the panels anyways. Instead, it doesn't make sense to install solar when there are still so many routes to flush out. Now, PowerPack totally makes sense where they get hit with high demand charges as capex allows. That's mostly in the most congested Superchargers with the highest peak rates and demand charges that also have the space for the PowerPack installation.

The deal would not be structured at a loss. It would just be stupid to be buying millions of solar panels from another manufacturer.

The deal would not be structured at a loss. It would just be stupid to be buying millions of solar panels from another manufacturer.

Ok... but the total available discount is pretty small... maybe 10 or 15% at best. Therefore, waiting for the SolarCity plant to finish isn't likely to be the hold up. Plus, they aren't buying millions of panels right now. Even if they put solar in each existing Superchargers and they put in a big array at 100 panels on each site, we're talking 60,000 panels or so.

They're also both publicly traded companies. They can only do a deal that is in both of their best interests, and includes evaluation of alternatives.

First of all, LOL.

Second of all, if they can't make this happen then SolarCity will be a failure along with it's new solar panel plant.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok... but the total available discount is pretty small... maybe 10 or 15% at best. Therefore, waiting for the SolarCity plant to finish isn't likely to be the hold up. Plus, they aren't buying millions of panels right now. Even if they put solar in each existing Superchargers and they put in a big array at 100 panels on each site, we're talking 60,000 panels or so.

Don't need any discount, except maybe a volume one that would be provided to any customer. You're underestimating the amount of panels needed to back the supercharger network by at least 1 order of magnitude. Probably 2, maybe more.

Don't need any discount, except maybe a volume one that would be provided to any customer. You're underestimating the amount of panels needed to back the supercharger network by at least 1 order of magnitude. Probably 2, maybe more.

To fully back the charging, sure, but those arrays won't be built at the Supercharger sites for the most part. It would be challenging for many SuperCharger sites to allow something bigger than a 100 panel array to be erected on site anytime soon.

There appears to be zero "active" construction occurring in the US. The 2 stations that are under construction according to supercharge.info have both been at a standstill for over a month. The most recent start was Slidell, and that station is now open.

Hopefully we will learn more about why supercharger construction has paused in the quarterly report and conference call this afternoon.

Hopefully we will learn more about why supercharger construction has paused in the quarterly report and conference call this afternoon.
Today's TSLA earning report was excellent and does mention 300 additional Superchargers coming in 2016. I assume this means globally.

"We plan to fund about $1.5 billion in capital expenditures without accessingany outside capital other than our existing sources that support our leasing and finished goods inventory. We plan to invest inequipment to support cell production at the Gigafactory, begin installation of Model 3 vehicle production machinery, open about 80 retaillocations and service centers, and energize about 300 new Supercharger locations."

Last edited:
I don't think he indicated any timeframe. It could be 80 and 300 by end of this year or next year.

This was part of the shareholder letter as part of the 2016 outlook.

Obviously, the 300 is an aspirational number, but I think that reflects the amount of capex they are willing to spend on it. The question is then doing the actual build out which obviously has all sorts of potential hold ups.

I'd assume they are going to use Model 3 reservation funds for the big 80 store/service center and 300 supercharging locations push.

So maybe they paused around the Model X push to conserve cash flow and once X is rolling out smoothly and 3 reservation money is coming in we'll see not only a resurgence but an increase in development to a new level.

Tesla added about 260 new supercharger stations in both 2014 and 2015. If they repeat that in 2016, that qualifies as "about 300" as far as I'm concerned. Also keep in mind they will likely be expanding a few existing stations too.

Fluctuations in the short term speed of the build-out have always occurred -- just look at the first "chart" on supercharge.info. The rate of additions so far in 2016 is practically meaningless in terms of predicting the rest of the year. If they built 250+ in each of the last two years, and say they will do it again this year, I see no reason for doubt.

As for speculation as to why the build-out is currently slow: what if they are currently perfecting their liquid-cooled cable design (as in Mountain View), and they are holding off a bit so the next wave of superchargers can push out higher power levels? Do we know yet if the 90kWh battery can handle greater charging speed (a larger capacity battery AND a different chemistry).

I'd assume they are going to use Model 3 reservation funds for the big 80 store/service center and 300 supercharging locations push.

So maybe they paused around the Model X push to conserve cash flow and once X is rolling out smoothly and 3 reservation money is coming in we'll see not only a resurgence but an increase in development to a new level.

If TM were going to do "anything" with the Model 3 reservation funds, I think their primary focus would be to use it to complete the build-out of the new assembly line.
Since the Model 3 will use a lot of steel pieces and panels in lieu of aluminum, totally new pieces of manufacturing equipment and stamping will be required.

If TM were going to do "anything" with the Model 3 reservation funds, I think their primary focus would be to use it to complete the build-out of the new assembly line.
Since the Model 3 will use a lot of steel pieces and panels in lieu of aluminum, totally new pieces of manufacturing equipment and stamping will be required.

As I understand it the Model 3 production lines will be completely different from the X/S lines which are building cars on the same base platform. There is a lot of speculation the Model 3 will use steel, but that hasn't been confirmed. I think it's likely though.

Supercharger observation:

I am currently on a longish road trip that originated in New Orleans. Over the course of two days I supercharged in Baton Rouge, Lake Charles, Houston (north), Huntsville, Corsicana, Ardmore, OKC, Weatherford, Shamrock, Amarillo, Tucumcari, Santa Rosa, Las Vegas NM, Trinidad, Colorado Springs. Almost 1,600 miles so far.

I was the only Tesla charging at every single supercharger except Huntsville, TX and Colorado Springs, CO where there was one other Tesla charging while I was there. I'm still a little surprised by this. #notincalifornia

More Teslas needed in the middle of the country please... :)

I am currently on a longish road trip that originated in New Orleans. Over the course of two days I supercharged in Baton Rouge, Lake Charles, Houston (north), Huntsville, Corsicana, Ardmore, OKC, Weatherford, Shamrock, Amarillo, Tucumcari, Santa Rosa, Las Vegas NM, Trinidad, Colorado Springs. Almost 1,600 miles so far.

I was the only Tesla charging at every single supercharger except Huntsville, TX and Colorado Springs, CO where there was one other Tesla charging while I was there. I'm still a little surprised by this. #notincalifornia

Depends on when you charge. Most of my charging at Superchargers in CA I am the only car, sometimes 1 or 2 others. I do most of my travel during the week, when most superchargers sit idle. Weekend afternoons are busiest.

We're doing our best! :)

On my trips to Florida, I was a bit less lonely. There were still many times that I pulled in as the only car, but the majority of the times it was only 1 other car or so. Atlantic Station in Atlanta was the most crowded - on my recent trip, there were 5 cars actively charging (including the demo cars there).

I think they need goal of at least one 80amp destination charger at every 100 miles on every major road in america. That would make me happy and it wouldn't cost too much. Even just adding a few HPWC at the superchargers stations for people that are just topping or as an overflow off would help alot too.