Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd think that courtesy between the Tesla owner's would make it uncommon to block a supercharger for many hours. Maybe a time limit of 45 minutes is sensible? You could probably program it so that the car senses that it's plugged in to a SC and when charging stops after 45 mins (or at least when fast charging stops and it just slowly fills up the last 10% to 90%) the charging cable lock mechanism could decouple so that another Tesla owner can unplug you. Though the car will still maybe be blocking physical acess to the supercharger?

Tesla has the ability to *know* if a car is blocking a Supercharger (ie, using it as a parking spot for light rail every day when at most, they only need 30 minutes daily). I predict there will eventually be a software update that includes signaling Tesla over poor charger behavior -- probably a simple letter to the owner will be enough to stop the behavior. And if not, there is always the threat of disabling access. Or to start charging a fee for every hour parked, not charging. That could be handled wirelessly also - no billing system at the station required.

I would hope that the Model S community would self-moderate on this issue. The EV community in general has been pretty impressive. But as the car is sold on its merits (and bought for reasons other than it being an EV), the nature of the community may very likely change. And if that's the case, then the problem is solved easily enough.

Last edited:
Perhaps we'll see a return of the service station attendant to act as an EValet:
!BYuMvtw!2k~$(KGrHgoOKiMEjlLmV6SyBKjE(!!Zbw~~_1.JPG

and perhaps he can give pedicures to Bonnie while he's waiting for her Model X to finish charging. ;-)

Well, If I can't do long trips because locals are tying up the superchargers, then I won't own one. Simple as that. It takes ALL of the utility out of the system that they designed. It's a problem that I see coming and just trying to be proactive.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I see charging at a supercharger slightly more inconvenient than filling up at a gas station. I doubt I'll charge on the road unless I need it. Or get premium parking at a charge station.

My concern isn't locals, but just capacity in general. A plurality of road trips are made during certain days of the year. During these days, petrol stations are already crowded and have line-ups, and they have 10-20 pumps, with an average top-off time of 5 minutes.. These are stations in the middle of nowhere also (rest stops, etc.). What will happen at the supercharging stations on the day before thanksgiving with I'm guessing 5 spots that people want to use for 30-45 minutes each???

I was surprised to hear Ted say no batteries in use, but I had heard from 2 others that battery packs would store charge at some sites. Now I wonder which is more accurate.

A supercharger station with local battery storage and solar canopy could still charge cars in case of a major grid blackout. How cool would that be? Remember Irene. ICE cars abandoned in front of gas stations because the pumps weren't working... Model S zipping by...

Thats why I say make a rule, and make it early so people are not upset later. Fee applies if you supercharge within say 100 miles of your home location.

For example: If I need to drive to San Diego ( I do this 6 x per year), I will need to supercharge in Los Angeles in order to make the trip. If the locals, 1000's of cars 1st year only, are all trying to charge for free, I will never be able to make my trip!

But Lloyd, if I come visit you, on my trip home I will need to charge at the Hawthorne location and that is within 100 miles of my home. A fee wouldn't serve it's intended purpose in this case. Tesla has put some thought into this, let's see what their solution is before we lose the "r" in free.

> I have a suggestion for Tesla: Supercharging should be "prohibited, or for a fee" within a certain distance from your home. [Lloyd]

Maybe not in CA, but many states (at least WY) may prohibit sub-metering, or re-selling KWHs (whatever that difference might be). Could be much simpler for TM simply to offer totally free KWHs in all 48 states. Now EVers pay RV Parks 'for KWHs' but there are other services provided such as use of overnight cabin, enjoying the park's gemutlichkeit, etc that they can point to, thus sidestepping the statutory restrictions against sub-metering.
--

Why are we all arguing here that the superchargers should have a fee? No offense, but are you guys nuts? :) Free? I'll take it.

It may have seemed like I was really joking in my earlier post, but I wasn't. Honestly, if this becomes a problem, Tesla will just build more superchargers. Elon said that the cost is relatively small, and the benefits far outweigh the cost.

Most people don't pull up to a gas station, put the pump in their car, then spend 20 minutes inside...especially if there's a few cars behind them at the pump. Some people are morons, but most morons aren't driving EVs and won't be for a good while. 96% of the Model S community will be considerate. Maybe higher than that. Of the small chance that there's an issue with the rest, the simplest solution is that Tesla will recognize the supercharger's always in use and just add another one.

Really, I think we're creating a problem here that doesn't exist...and if it ever does, the fix is easy. But in my opinion, sitting here and trying to argue that Tesla should be charging us for this is crazy. Do you walk into a store on Christmas Eve and beg the retailer to charge you more when you're buying holiday gifts?

... What will happen at the supercharging stations on the day before thanksgiving with I'm guessing 5 spots that people want to use for 30-45 minutes each???

I guess you will have to drive your ICE car or fly. Those will surely be problem free during the holidays.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are we all arguing here that the superchargers should have a fee? No offense, but are you guys nuts? :) Free? I'll take it....

+1

If a gas station on the highway offered free gasoline to travelers, once the word got out, that fuel stop would have long lines. Would you then ask that (clearly insane) station owner to charge for gas like all the others so those who value time more than money can benefit?

Better to think of Superstations as a Tesla perk than a transportation solution.

I suggest that they install some HPCs and/or HPWCs at the location just to throw a bone to Roadster and 40kWh owners. Those chargers can be used during high demand. Although I suppose there are also J1772 options for level-2 charging.

Why are we all arguing here that the superchargers should have a fee? No offense, but are you guys nuts? :) Free? I'll take it.

It may have seemed like I was really joking in my earlier post, but I wasn't. Honestly, if this becomes a problem, Tesla will just build more superchargers. Elon said that the cost is relatively small, and the benefits far outweigh the cost.

Most people don't pull up to a gas station, put the pump in their car, then spend 20 minutes inside...especially if there's a few cars behind them at the pump. Some people are morons, but most morons aren't driving EVs and won't be for a good while. 96% of the Model S community will be considerate. Maybe higher than that. Of the small chance that there's an issue with the rest, the simplest solution is that Tesla will recognize the supercharger's always in use and just add another one.

Really, I think we're creating a problem here that doesn't exist...and if it ever does, the fix is easy. But in my opinion, sitting here and trying to argue that Tesla should be charging us for this is crazy. Do you walk into a store on Christmas Eve and beg the retailer to charge you more when you're buying holiday gifts?

Totally agree, in January of 2014 there will be barely 20,000 Model S vehicles on the roads all around the country. The huge majority of us will charge at home and keep topped up there b/c it's convenient and not very expensive. Certainly I can forsee a handful of sites (California, I'm looking at you) where on certain holidays and peak traffic times there could be some waiting and crowds at times, but look we're talking about a 30-60 minute wait to charge while having time to chat with other Tesla owners. I just don't see this as a terrible thing.

5 years from now, 100k Teslas+ on the roads, then, OK, maybe we'll need to see some expansion and modification of the supercharger network and added fees and scheduling of visits, blah blah blah...but come on, I've never even laid eyes on a Model S yet, it's a bit hard to start worrying about overcrowding at a supercharging station.

- - - Updated - - -

They should not leave Roadster owners high and dry. Supercharger sites should install 2.0 HPCs and offer socket swaps for Roadsters.

I think that's reasonable, but let's face it, Roadsters will be a fraction of the Tesla vehicles on the road by the time the network is up and running. Still, at least a J1772 on site would be nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Bulding on that thought...Doesn't it make sense to have some J1772 and other chargers there that DO charge a fee? They can still be Tesla stations and have free charging for Teslas on the superchargers, but since they'll have the network up anyway, they could both throw a bone to other EV owners AND partially fund the building and maintenacne of the stations by charging the non-Tesla users. Should at lest help with some upkeep and I bet it would be a good marketing tool...you've got current EV owners, this would seem a good market to target for selling them a Tesla.

Roadster owners would like Supercharger sites to install a Model S HPC for 40 kWh's and Tesla to offer socket swaps for Roadsters. The Roadster plug is now a dead format like the floppy disc and SPI paddles.

No J1772

Roadster owners would like Supercharger sites to install a Model S HPC for 40 kWh's and Tesla to offer socket swaps for Roadsters. The Roadster plug is now a dead format like the floppy disc and SPI paddles.

No J1772

I'd agree too. Don't think that it's fair to Roadster owners and would like to see a bone tossed to 40 kWh Model S owners.