Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sad to see that Tesla doesn't seem to be responding to emails to its "supercharger" email address anymore. Contacted them a month ago, not a peep. There's no indication Tesla has even begun permitting let alone building the five superchargers that are supposed to go in "in 2016" in the southern half of New Mexico.

Let alone siting them or any others along the GSW (Great Supercharger Wasteland) that is I-10 tweenst Tucson and San Antonio.

At least they're consistent in their failure to meet their own projections. This BS has been going on since late 2014.

0- fer in 2015
0- fer in 2016

You'd think closing that gap would make for a nice late Fall/early Winter project, too. Nice weather, great sunsets... But evidently not.

It's a critical winter route for transcontinental travel and remains the only one for which chains and/or snow tires are unnecessary year-round. No black ice and no tornados, relatively speaking, unlike the route we're forced to travel now via I-40 or worse.

Perhaps a change of management would be sufficient to begin to show progress and some kind of accountability to their own projections - let alone common sense.

• Funny
Reactions: EVie'sDad and tinm
TESLA SUPER CHARGER NEBBENES
Here opens the world's biggest fast-charging station - in Norway
20 super chargers for Tesla - plus eight Fortum chargers.
DSC00728.1000x664.jpg

Every Norwegian who has approached me while I've been parked overlooking the ocean near LA (it's happened more than once) has been incredibly interesting and very pro-Tesla.

It's the last thing I'd expect from a country whose economy has been so oil-centric. And here they are, leading the world in electric vehicle adoption per capita.

And then there's that whole Arctic Circle thing.

One of said Norwegians did rather gleefully note that he could buy a Tesla for what we'd pay in California at the factory - or perhaps a wee bit less. Gah! :)

Now THAT is how to build out a Supercharger station! Not what they are trying (and failing) to do in Fremont #2.

I wonder if they are having a change of heart on how they have Fremont #2 laid it out there, thus the interminable delay (over 315+ days now under construction) as they contemplate how to rework it to make it usable and efficient.

I really don't get the Nebbenes layout. The traditional layout (like Fremont-2) looks way simpler. With supercharging people will stay for different amounts of time. Fremont-2 makes this easy, Nebbenes looks like a mess, getting into the right spot, being about to drivec through and someone parks in front of you, waiting for someone to reverse into someone else...

The only benefit appears to be allowing for cars with trailers/caravans. There must be a better way of allowing for this.

I really don't get the Nebbenes layout. The traditional layout (like Fremont-2) looks way simpler. With supercharging people will stay for different amounts of time. Fremont-2 makes this easy, Nebbenes looks like a mess, getting into the right spot, being about to drivec through and someone parks in front of you, waiting for someone to reverse into someone else...

The only benefit appears to be allowing for cars with trailers/caravans. There must be a better way of allowing for this.

I think it will facilitate faster entry and exit, thus increasing the rate of drivers per hour/day. Having the chargers out in the parking lot and forcing drivers to drive in between them from a 90 degree angle and then back up on exiting will slow down the rate that waiting drivers can then take over a charging stall. The stalls at Fremont #1 are all back parking, making for easy entry and exit without the increasing the chances of damaging the chargers or our EV's.

I truly hope they are rethinking how they are laying out Fremont #2.

Here is the layout of the superchargers at Nebbenes, all numbers are in meters:
index.php

With 9.25 meters free space between the charging stalls everybody with backup camera and parking sensors should manage to get in and out without any problems.
The drawing are from the buildingpermit.

I totally agree with those frustrated with the seemingly slow completion of the supercharger network in the US. Either their proposed plan was too ambitious, their site survey people are slow in locating sites, or possibly the planning for Model 3 production has reduced funds available for building new superchargers.

I am trying to plan a trip for next January that will not be possible without at least 2 supercharger sites being completed before than, so I sympathize with those grumbling about the "holes" in the proposed supercharger network.

Personally, I think Tesla should try to locate superchargers at interstate highway rest areas with sufficient extra parking space. In my opinion that would be much more convenient for most travelers than many of the current sites near interstates.

I don't know. It looks pretty slick to me. You can pull through forward much of the time, and when you can't, you just back in the old fashioned way.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Can't see the linked image here, must be logged in there.
Sorry, I'll try to include it here.

Provided they exit the vehicle beforehand to clean the camera in the Winter or when it's raining.
Your right. But when you are supercharging you probably have to exit your car and move your body somewhere near the rear of the car anyway :)

Attachments

• NebbenesSuC.png
    NebbenesSuC.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 76
Btw: Haven't seen this here yet?
Tesla to introduce new ‘Supercharger Credit’ system to reduce entry price of Model S & X

Tesla to introduce new ‘Supercharger Credit’ system to reduce entry price of Model S & X
Sources familiar with the program have told Electrek that Tesla is about to introduce a new Supercharger Credit program to unbundle the cost of Supercharger access from the vehicle and consequently, lower the entry price of the Model S and X while ensuring that the value of the Supercharger network is better represented by the pricing model. The update could coincide with the release of OS 8 or 8.1.
The move to ‘Supercharger Credits’ could also facilitate the access to the network to electric vehicles from other manufacturers. Tesla CEO Elon Musk always said that he was open to sharing the network with other automakers, but he also said that they would need to contribute to the cost of the network proportionally to the usage of their vehicle fleet.

This new program will allow them to do just that fairly easily. Tesla could sell a Chademo/SAE DC adapter that would work with other vehicles and could be tied to a credit card as well. This could be a huge market for Tesla who is already years in front of the competition in terms of charging.

• Informative
Reactions: emupilot
Interesting new Supercharger design shown on the link posted above. It appears more like a fueling station. Lessens the likelihood that people treat it as simply a parking space with a charger, and also lessens the chance that an ICE car would dare to venture into this area just to park. Also, there appears to be a dedicated charging unit for every space, no more A&B?.

tesla-supercharger-nebbenes-1.jpg

Interesting new Supercharger design shown on the link posted above. It appears more like a fueling station. Lessens the likelihood that people treat it as simply a parking space with a charger, and also lessens the chance that an ICE car would dare to venture into this area just to park. Also, there appears to be a dedicated charging unit for every space, no more A&B?.

tesla-supercharger-nebbenes-1.jpg
That picture is from Nebbenes before it was opened. If you look at the image below - from the opening- on the nearest posts, you can see it is numbered. The one to the left I think is "1B" and the one to the right is clearly "1A". You may have to zoom in to read :)
DSC00728.1000x664.jpg

OT: Interesting to see the Model X with a horse trailer at the supercharger in the background to the right ;)

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The most dumb thing that Tesla did, that is hurting them so much is their idiotic decision of having the charge port in the back. It was done for aesthetics, sacrificing ease of usage and function.

So you have this ridiculous scene of Tesla owners trying to back in on an angled parking in our office mult-storied garage with very little space between the lanes. So the garage custodians will come running down telling the $100k Tesla owners not to back in - as it is clearly written. And the Tesla owners pleading to let them back in, just so that they can plug in. meanwhile they have blocked traffic and look like friggin idiots to other employees who are rushing in.

Their SC design would be a lot simpler, lot easier for the owners with the front charging design - Mr. Hubris, anyone?

Reactions: Rocky_H and Pando